Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Yesterday I received a phone call from a different area code and I didn't answer the phone. Didn't think too much of it, but it was a strange area code, to me. Today, while I didn't have my phone, I got another call from this same number. When I checked my phone and saw the call, I hit redial. A woman answered and I explained that I was returning her call. She said she hadn't called and wanted to know where my area code was. I told her, asked where I was calling, and it turned out to be Georgia. The lady was real nice about the whole thing. I apologized for bothering her, wished her a happy new year, and hung up. About an hour later, I got another call from the same number, so I answered it. Turned out it was a scam call, where they tell you they want to see if they can lower your CC interest rates. I played along, gave them a made up name and address, told them I had a CC that I dont have, but hung up on them when they asked for my CC number.

Got to thinking about it and called the lady I had spoken to before. Told her that this scam company was somehow using her phone number and suggested she call her phone company.

This is the first time I've heard of scammers being able to use a private persons phone number. Makes me wonder if this person will occur any extra phone charges?

Last edited by Oldman03; 01/03/18.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
GB1

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Nope. There are phone number generators that "spoof" a real number into Caller ID instead of the real number they are calling from. Illegal as hell, but then, so are the scams.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Thanks Ed
PS. Hope yall are doing well and happy new one.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Now I wonder if all the calls made by the scammers, show the same phone number. Can you imagine a 1000 calls a day, being made with your phone number being 'spoofed'. If only 5% returned the call, that would be 50 calls/day.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

We've been getting calls like that for a good while. With ours though most of the calls show on caller I.D. as local numbers. I never answer these calls directly but have called the numbers shown on caller I.D. back several times and every time I got a recording stating that the number i was calling was not an active number.

https://www.trapcall.com/blog/caller-id-spoofing/

http://www.businessinsider.com/phone-number-spoofing-2016-2

The capability to spoof caller I.D. is available to anybody via apps. A quick Google shows lots of websites offer the apps.

http://calleridfaker.com/

https://www.spoofmyphone.com/

https://www.spoofcard.com/apps

https://www.spooftel.com/freecall/

https://fakecallerid.io/

http://bluffmycall.com/

IC B2

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Those folks need to be doin' time!

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Wife had a call a few days ago that was her number with a different area code.
She didn't answer, neither of us answer unless we know you.
Just leave a message, and maybe we'll call back.
Yes, they are bypassing or faking the return numbers.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I get so many I don't answer my phone unless I recognize the number calling. The last few months they have been spoofing numbers from the same office code as my cell phone. most of my calls are supposedly tied to selling additional warranty. I've written my congressmen about the spoofing and abuse of telemarketers and wish others would do the same. My phone has almost become useless to me except for text messages.

Harry
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Randy, this may be a serious opportunity. I will have a friend check it out for you. Just PM me with your card brand and number, your name as it appears, and that little three digit thing on the back.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Paul, I realize you know me as Randy, but that is actually an anonym, assigned to me by the government, when I retired. Any other information would likely put one or both of us in dire jeopardy, so I hope you realize it is a kindly gesture that I refuse to divulge the requested information.

Tell Mrs. Maddie I said 'Howdy'.

IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864
Nope. There are phone number generators that "spoof" a real number into Caller ID instead of the real number they are calling from.

Ed
Yep - see it here all the time... The Do Not Call registry is about as worthless as a submarine with a screen door..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've given into a few of these calls - 100% for the sport of it.
And each time I get passed the pre-recorded message and inform the live-human that I wish for them to quit calling me, I get a gibberish, foreign-language rant that's actually quite entertaining. smile

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C

I will vote for anyone that will make unsolicited phone calls a criminal offense, and will eliminate red light cameras, and defund NASA until all the Frizzin' potholes are fixed.

I have a few more .

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I get a few of those calls. If i am bored and decide to answer i tell them to kiss me where the sun don't shine and hang up.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
My favorite is the guys from the Microsoft repair department. I can have those guys cussing me in no time. However if I ever get my hands on Heather or Lisa from credit card services, I will probably make the nightly news, and it won't be pretty.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost....
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I once got a call like that from my home phone number. Who isn't going to answer that call?

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Oldman03
Yesterday I received a phone call from a different area code and I didn't answer the phone. Didn't think too much of it, but it was a strange area code, to me. Today, while I didn't have my phone, I got another call from this same number. When I checked my phone and saw the call, I hit redial. A woman answered and I explained that I was returning her call. She said she hadn't called and wanted to know where my area code was. I told her, asked where I was calling, and it turned out to be Georgia. The lady was real nice about the whole thing. I apologized for bothering her, wished her a happy new year, and hung up. About an hour later, I got another call from the same number, so I answered it. Turned out it was a scam call, where they tell you they want to see if they can lower your CC interest rates. I played along, gave them a made up name and address, told them I had a CC that I dont have, but hung up on them when they asked for my CC number.

Got to thinking about it and called the lady I had spoken to before. Told her that this scam company was somehow using her phone number and suggested she call her phone company.

This is the first time I've heard of scammers being able to use a private persons phone number. Makes me wonder if this person will occur any extra phone charges?

It's called caller ID spoofing..

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by 700LH
Wife had a call a few days ago that was her number with a different area code.
She didn't answer, neither of us answer unless we know you.
Just leave a message, and maybe we'll call back.
Yes, they are bypassing or faking the return numbers.

That's become my habit, too, i.e., the phone ringing means little to me, unless I see a recognized number or caller on the ID. If I don't see that, it goes through to the message system, where most callers I get nowadays don't bother leaving a message, indicating to me that most are scam calls. Remember the good old days when you could just answer the phone when it rang?

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
I quit answer calls i dont know. Especially now, since you rarely get a live person to talk to. Used to be fun with live people. I always said just two words. Repeading myself when needed.

"I'm NEKKID!"

Wifey would just laugh.

Last edited by kaywoodie; 01/04/18.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Just now got another call from a 'spoofed' local number.
Caller ID showed same area code and exchange prefix numbers as mine. Again, I didn't answer the call but I did call it back after waiting a couple of minutes. Verizon Wireless recording answered with, 'the number you are calling has either been changed, disconnected and/or is no longer in service.'.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

56 members (338Rules, 38HBWC, 35, 4th_point, 8 invisible), 2,222 guests, and 858 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,779
Posts18,536,021
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.