Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I haven't heard the using next size up for a body die before....does that mean I can use say a 280 Remington or a 30-06 for a body die of a 25-06? Just take out the decapping pin and expander ball? I have a spare 30-06 die that would be useful again....

HR IC

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I really like and use the Lee Collet Neck Sizing die, but I've had to order two undersized mandrells for two different dies due to inadequate neck tension on sized cases. One a 308 win and one a 7-08. The mandrels are only about $10 if I recall correctly, but not sure why they don't just use the smaller mandrel initially. I also have a Redding Type S bushing die for my 243 win which is great as a body die only or as a neck and body die if needed.

The most non-concentric bullets I've loaded were using a RCBS neck sizing die. This was in two different cartridges - terrible!

Last edited by bludog; 01/04/18.

"Blessed is the man whose wife is his best friend - especially if she likes to HUNT!"

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind and strength, and love your neighbor as yourself. There is no commandment greater than these."
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
I would like to try some neck sizing for my 7mm-08 Kimber Montana using a Forster Co AX press. Which die should I buy?

So far, all the Redding neck dies size cases as straight as the LCD's, plus it sizes a lot wider variation of neck wall thicknesses straight when the LCD won't.

That's with 5 different chamberings. I'm buying some more Reddings in other chamberings so we'l see if my luck holds out.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Craig2506
I haven't heard the using next size up for a body die before....does that mean I can use say a 280 Remington or a 30-06 for a body die of a 25-06? Just take out the decapping pin and expander ball? I have a spare 30-06 die that would be useful again....

Yep.

DF

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
"Where do I find the little grinding thing you used?"

That's just a worn down Dremel grinding stone. I just happen to have an old one that I could use.

You can take the truing stone and cut a grinding stone to size. I didn't have to. The turing stone is a little square stone that comes with Dremel kits.

DF

IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Try the Lee Collet die first as it is not that expensive. In my opinion the bushing dies are best for tight chambered rifles or if you are neck turning. Both of these are better kept to the target shooting realm. The Lee die can benefit from polishing the fingers on the collet and the mandrel to get at least .002 neck tension. In hunting rifles I notice little or no increase in accuracy with neck vs full length re-sizing but brass can last longer with mostly neck sizing and only a shoulder bump every third or so loading.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
M
MZ5 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Oddly enough, the most crooked ammunition I’ve ever had the misfortune to have loaded (and measured) came off of Redding’s bushing sizer and seater, working Lapua brass. I’ve never had a Collet die + dead length seater give me anything like that much wobble. Spare collets, whether undersized from Lee or ground yourself, are cheaper than spare bushings, just as the dies themselves are (radically) cheaper. I can’t for the life of me see a practical or pragmatic reason to use a bushing die rather than a Collet. Preference is not practicality, so I won’t argue that.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Originally Posted by MZ5
Spare collets, whether undersized from Lee or ground yourself, are cheaper than spare bushings, just as the dies themselves are (radically) cheaper.

I've found special ordering 0.002" undersized mandrels are the way to go. $5.00 a piece is cheaper than having a handful of bushings.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Good stuff.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mathman
Not that long ago I visited the Lee website and ordered a bunch of the undersized mandrels.

Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
Cool, I wasn't even aware they offered those. Mucho garcia!

Me neither!

slick!

https://leeprecision.com/home.php?cat=19098

Sycamore

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
IC B3

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

64 members (808outdoors, 35, 338reddog, 257robertsimp, 6MMWASP, 300_savage, 9 invisible), 921 guests, and 841 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,206
Posts18,524,254
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.