-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I might buy from them, but wouldn't sell to them. These big stores use a formula for determining price that leaves you crumbs. Far better to market it yourself locally or online and waith for an eager buyer. Even an LGS would be a better option, but like the man said, the market is soft, unless you have something special in some way.

If you must trade, try an LGS.

What fresh Hell is this?
HR IC

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Earlier today I stated I have purchased one used firearm at Cabela's. Make that two, as I stopped by this morning and found a deal I could not refuse - a S&W Model 10 (1961 Model 10-3) for $249 and change. Very tight lock-up, no end shake to speak of, excellent trigger. Finish has been redone with a black paint or something but is evenly applied and in good condition.

Put it on lay-away as I was headed to the airport and didn't want to leave it in the car at the parking facility, especially since I was valet parking.

More about it here:
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/12515717/s-w-model-10-3-1961

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Used guns and bargain cave items are all I buy from Cabelas.

Gun purchases have always gone smoothly.

Would never sell to them, the one trade I attempted they made me a fair offer.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
To All,

BEFORE buying any used handgun from CABELA'S, may I suggest that you "check out" what GT DISTRIBUTORS has for sale??

Recently, I bought a 2" Model 12 revolver in MINT condition for 189.oo plus tax AND a "plain Jane" 4" Model 10 S&W for 159.oo plus tax in VG+ condition. - Both handguns were LE "trade-ins".
(The Model 10 seemed to have been carried "on the job" for a considerable period BUT seldom fired.)

In my experience, GT is good to buy used handguns of several types from & CABELA'S is NOT.

yours, tex

"VICTORY OR DEATH"

William Barrett Travis, Lt.Col., comdt.
Fortress of The Alamo, Bejar
F'by 24, 1836
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I've bought several guns from them. To me they're no different than most any retail shop, they buy low and sell high to make a profit. Just like anywhere else, the people they hire range from pleasant to work with, knowledgeable guys, to complete dolts. I don't sell or trade in my firearms for the same reason I don't trade in vehicles, I can get closer to retail price by selling them myself rather than take wholesale from a dealer.

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

IC B2

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by kingston
I’ve never had any luck purchasing a gun from Cabela’s Gun Library and I’ve tried several times. It’s been my impression that Gun Library staff are more interested in the sport of gouging sellers of guns than they are than they are at interacting with gun buyers. My in-person gun purchase inquires have been met with wholly unqualified arrogance and condescension. Gun Library staff have almost universally presented themselves as rude, abrasive, dismissive and patronizing. Amazingly Cabela’s hiring managers have staffed all six Cabela’s Gun Libraries I’ve been to with the same unique personality type. To be clear, I’ve never engaged nor have I known anyone personally who’s engaged a Cabela’s Gun Library to sell or trade guns. However, on multiple occasions while waiting to discuss gun purchases, I’ve witnessed sellers bullied and in one case humiliated buy Cabela’s Gun Library representatives. I was disgusted by what I saw.

How refreshing to read a complaint that is well articulated. My compliments, sir.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

My experience with them a couple times as a lefty, is they bought from me low, almost insultingly low, claiming they’ll have a hard time moving it. And then I’d later see it listed in the Gun Library at over a 100% mark up.

There was more nuance to the story and this was with just one store.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Every time I've stopped in at a Cabela's the gun prices almost made my heart stop............

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I’ve never had any luck purchasing a gun from Cabela’s Gun Library and I’ve tried several times. It’s been my impression that Gun Library staff are more interested in the sport of gouging sellers of guns than they are than they are at interacting with gun buyers. My in-person gun purchase inquires have been met with wholly unqualified arrogance and condescension. Gun Library staff have almost universally presented themselves as rude, abrasive, dismissive and patronizing. Amazingly Cabela’s hiring managers have staffed all six Cabela’s Gun Libraries I’ve been to with the same unique personality type. To be clear, I’ve never engaged nor have I known anyone personally who’s engaged a Cabela’s Gun Library to sell or trade guns. However, on multiple occasions while waiting to discuss gun purchases, I’ve witnessed sellers bullied and in one case humiliated buy Cabela’s Gun Library representatives. I was disgusted by what I saw.

Broadly, my experience also, more succinctly described as arrogant indifference.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I've made a lot of money buying guns from Cabelas. Bought a Winchester 1893 12 gauge, what I thought was a cut down 30 or so inch barrel for $249. Did a little research, found out it was one of only a few factory made 1893 riot guns. Lettered it from Winchester and sold it to a guy in the Netherlands for $4000. My main hunting rifle, a 1909 Argentine 30/06, nicely sporterized, Shilen barrel, 3 position model 70 safety, Timney trigger, gorgeous wood stock was bought at Cabelas for $249. Nice German Guild drilling, 12x12x8x57 with Zeiss scope, $449. MOST of the time, they are WAY overpriced, but if you check it often as I did when I lived in Denver, you can get some screaming deals.

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
To All,

Here in San Antonio the local cabela's last Christmas had MANY things for sale, which were priced ABOVE the stated MSRP.
(One coat's manufacturer's tag, on 22DEC16, said that the MSRP was 89.95 but it had a Cabela's price tag for 119.95, "marked down" 10%.)

ImVho, any "deals" onh used guns that you may find there are a situation of the gun-pricers NOT knowing what they were selling.
(I'd like to find a drilling, in any caliber/gauge, for 499.oo.)

yours, tex

"VICTORY OR DEATH"

William Barrett Travis, Lt.Col., comdt.
Fortress of The Alamo, Bejar
F'by 24, 1836
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
60% of expected retail on a trade in is pretty typical for any gun shop around here. Trading to Cabela's actually gets you more money as they tend to have an inflated opinion on what the gun will sell for.

As mentioned, one occasionally finds deals or mismarked guns on the shelf. A couple of Savage 1899s in 25/35 and 38/55 for $1000 total, a Remington M81 Kreiger conversion for $400, a Browning Citori XS in 410 for $1200 ($1100 actual as a promo gave $100 off used guns), Ruger Super Redhawk in 454 Casull with 2x Leupold scope for $550, and a Kahr CW9 for $180 are a few that come to mind.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by sigguy
Originally Posted by Calhoun
I think they've told me that corporate has set their purchase price to be 62% (rounded to nearest whatever) of what they are going to price it at.

Heard last night from the local gun library guys that the new Bass Pro management is telling the gun libraries to price guns to sell, they don't want guns sitting around for a year or three. So that's bad news to sell, but might be good news to buy. Haven't seen any chance in pricing tho.

I had a similar conversation with the local Cabelas guys as well. They were complaining that they had a very low inventory of used guns, and had a hard time getting new used stock in. I told them that maybe they should consider offering more than 60% of anticipated retail for inbound trades/buys. Just a year or so ago they were offering around 67% on trades, which seemed fair to me. Not sure if this is due to the Bass Pro acquisition though.

Also agree with another poster on both their new and used guns normally being somewhat overpriced. Every now and then you can find some significantly under-priced gems, but I don't go out of my way to stop by there anymore.

I don't know with whom either of you were talking with, but Bass Pro has yet to issue anything to the libraries.

Official member of "The Clan of Turd-like People"

[Linked Image]
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Calhoun
Originally Posted by hanco
They sometimes don’t know what they have.

Bingo.. That's most of what I've bought from them. When they know what they have, they are usually at the high end of retail. But once in a while.. They goof. For example, picked up a couple pristine Savage 99's priced way low because they thought they were refinished, a "paint" Savage handgun for cheap because they thought it was just a normal model with crap bluing, etc.

They used to price things by the blue book, now it's more common for them to price by gunbroker plus a bit.

But for every deal I get, there's probably 20 guns that I'd like that are overpriced. Just gotta watch their inventory.

^^^^^ This is my experience with Cabela's in Nebraska, the rare under-priced gem in a bucket of over-priced pebbles. ^^^^^

I typically troll through the used gun racks at the LaVista, NE, Cabela's 2 or 3 times a month and probably buy 8 to 10 firearms from them in an average 12 month period. I bought a mid--90% Rermington 760 BDL in 30-06 for $330+/- on 11/15/17.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I picked up a nice standard Weatherby MK V in 7mm Weatherby (synthetic) over the holidays in Rapid City. Gun appears to be pretty clean and in decent shape. It was originally priced used in the mid $900's but was on sale for $550. I brought it home with me, mostly due to the price. I find a few things I like, but they are pricey. Every now and then, I find a diamond in the rough in one of their stores and bring it home.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by sactoller
I don't know with whom either of you were talking with, but Bass Pro has yet to issue anything to the libraries.

As I said, a gun library employee told me that on Monday. Maybe he's full of it, or maybe Bass Pro put something out and forgot to ask your permission, I dunno... grin

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I found a new Steyr SBS Mountain in 308 Win at the LaVista store for $450 on the used rack a little over a year ago. They had it marked at $899 regular price, on sale for approx $650 and couldn't move them (they had around 10 of them on the rack). I almost gave in a few times, but held off, and patience paid off. Told a coworker that borrowed my SBS in 260 Rem the previous hunting season about the deal and he got the last one in 30 06.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I've only bought two used ones from Cabelas and had good experiences / good deals both times. First one was a Freedom Arms 83 Premier 454 with Leupold 2x scope ordered from factory as a package with oversized box and all papers for $1200. That was an in-store purchase in Post Falls and had to have them ship to FFL here in MT. Second was a Remington 870 Trap model for $475 purchased on-line from a store in TX.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Some of the best deals I've found have been at the Cabelas used racks and Library. Some of the most ridiculously over priced guns I've ever seen as well.

Pretty easy, if a bit slow. Usually due to volume. No biggie, just wander around for a 1/2 hour or so, go back and pick up my new blaster.

All in all, I'd rather go to the Cabelas than a gun show.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

This would echo my experience. Another thing I learned is never, ever attempt to explain German proof marks to one of the Gun Library salesmen unless you want to be told how completely ignorant you are.

Last edited by sharps4590; 01/04/18.

NRA Benefactor 2008

Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me." John 14-6

There is no right way to do a wrong thing
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

503 members (12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 50 invisible), 2,287 guests, and 1,157 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,510
Posts18,490,768
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.