Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Though they are discontinued, you can still find some of the best boning knives around for very cheap.

Kershaw ProGrade blue-handled 6" fillet knife with 420J2 Japanese stainless steel blade.

Easy to sharpen, flexible, great handles, dishwasher when you're done. And under $20.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Good review. Thanks for sharing. I was very interested in the gaiters until I checked the price. WOW. Our mutual friend has convinced me the value of the Kahtoola's, though mine are aluminum. Good stuff.

PS- This fall may be the year for my dog to hit your country for some sage hens...

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Thanks for sharing

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Excellent report. I appreciate when you guys give your experience on what works and what doesn't. Thanks

Molɔ̀ːn Labé
Grandpa:the road to hell is paved with good intentions.
Dad:son you have 2 choices for supper eat or don't eat.
KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've been playing in the outdoors for over 60 years, and buying gear for that purpose. So I have two or three or four of just about everything, and therefore don't have a lot of new stuff to report on. However, I tried two new things this year.

I've been looking for a backpack to replace my Osprey Aether. Love the Osprey pack because it's really comfortable, but it's not a hunting pack. I tried a KUIU Ultra 6000. I like this pack. I'm going to continue to use it for hunting. But I'll stay with the Osprey pack for summer recreational backpacking.

[Linked Image]

I also got a Samsung Galaxy Tab E and installed GAIA mapping program. I like this addition also. It's not a substitute for a USGS map and compass because digital technology is not totally reliable. The batteries are not going to run down on a hard copy map or magnetic compass. Also the map and compass are going to work in the bottom of a slot canyon and GPS technology won't. But this technology is a good augmentation because you don't have to guess at your location on the USGS map. With GAIA you know for sure exactly where you are.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

IC B2

T_Inman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by pointer
Good review. Thanks for sharing. I was very interested in the gaiters until I checked the price. WOW. Our mutual friend has convinced me the value of the Kahtoola's, though mine are aluminum. Good stuff.

PS- This fall may be the year for my dog to hit your country for some sage hens...

Sleeping Indian's are pricy no doubt, but like anything else.....when you're replacing the cheaper brands every other year or so, compared to buying once every 20 years....the better stuff is often cheaper in the long run. If Filson made some gaitors I'd be all over them...

Sage grouse are about the only bird we have around here, other than occasional chuckars. I think I killed 16 sage hens this year. Give me a shout.

T_Inman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by KC
I've been playing in the outdoors for over 60 years, and buying gear for that purpose. So I have two or three or four of just about everything, and therefore don't have a lot of new stuff to report on. However, I tried two new things this year.

I've been looking for a backpack to replace my Osprey Aether. Love the Osprey pack because it's really comfortable, but it's not a hunting pack. I tried a KUIU Ultra 6000. I like this pack. I'm going to continue to use it for hunting. But I'll stay with the Osprey pack for summer recreational backpacking.

[Linked Image]

I also got a Samsung Galaxy Tab E and installed GAIA mapping program. I like this addition also. It's not a substitute for a USGS map and compass because digital technology is not totally reliable. The batteries are not going to run down on a hard copy map or magnetic compass. Also the map and compass are going to work in the bottom of a slot canyon and GPS technology won't. But this technology is a good augmentation because you don't have to guess at your location on the USGS map. With GAIA you know for sure exactly where you are.

KC

Good report-I have been looking at the Kuiu packs too, but really haven't seen a reason to get away from my X2 yet.

I am way too dumb to use my phone or any other type of computer for navigating....give me a map and compass every time. I do like looking at a GPS real quick to see if I am on public or private, but that's where my computer skills stop.

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Originally Posted by T_Inman
I am way too dumb to use my phone or any other type of computer for navigating....give me a map and compass every time. I do like looking at a GPS real quick to see if I am on public or private, but that's where my computer skills stop.

I too am very comfortable using a USGS map and compass. Been using them since 1958. But I figured I should at least try to keep up with changing tech. In 2004, I bought a real simple GPS unit so I could set my camp or truck as a waypoint.

I've spent a lifetime correlating terrain with the topo on a USGS map and guessing where I was on the map. Most of the time I could figure it out accurately. But now there's no more guessing. I like it.

I am a dinosaur because I refuse to get another cell phone. I started using them when they were attached to a car and used one for business for thirty years. I could never get away. Would get calls from work in the middle of the night. When I retired, I ditched two leashes; my cell phone and my necktie. Now I'm free.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by pointer

Sleeping Indian's are pricy no doubt, but like anything else.....when you're replacing the cheaper brands every other year or so, compared to buying once every 20 years....the better stuff is often cheaper in the long run. If Filson made some gaitors I'd be all over them...

Sage grouse are about the only bird we have around here, other than occasional chuckars. I think I killed 16 sage hens this year. Give me a shout.

I hear you on the buy once cry once. I have kids so am just broke... wink

I definitely will be in touch about the sage hens. May have to try the mountains east of there for forest grouse on the way too and fro.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Very good review. Straight to the point without all the blather I'm so bored of.

Second that X2. I've had one for 4 years now. Weighs about 6 lbs, fits me extremely well and rides like its not there. Combine it with a Kifaru or home made gun bearer and you've got a good day for 10-20 miles.

I have to try those cramps! I bust my behind several times a day in snow. Love the Kennetreks, but the 1000 seem to have 0 traction in snow.

Tom, you will like the 130 TTSXs for your 270. Mine likes Re19 for mild weather and H4350 for the cold stuff.

"Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right."
Henry Ford

If it's tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Geeze! That first pic looks like one worked that carcass up with an axe.
Also, how about a discussion on the black tape? I thought we had settled on blue like 10 years ago.

Have a good one,

Last edited by 1minute; 01/14/18.

1Minute
T_Inman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
That first picture is of a carcass worked over with an axe.

After getting the backstrap off, I hacked through the spine at the last rib, pulled the spine up and back as hard as I could and it snapped and "hinged" at the pelvis. Made getting the tenderloins out much easier. What you see is the "underside" of the spine with the tenderloins removed. It was the first time I tried that, so it was a bit messy but I think with a bit of practice it'll be easier and cleaner.

jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Kahtoola K10's.-I wore a steel set right down to nubs, and have had this second set for one season now. Simply awesome, though the snow skins are useless and a plastic buckle broke. I refuse to hunt anything in snow or mud without these, let alone elk and chuckar, and quite often use them on dry terrain as well. Even late season farmground pheasant hunts benefit big time from these. If I had to chose one piece of gear that is absolutely the most useful, this would be it.

Thanks for the informative post, I appreciate it.

Also, I have to note that if you can wear the spikes down to nubs on a set of steel crampons, you are sure getting out there and doing it -- no keyboard cowboy stuff there! :-)

John

T_Inman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Yes sir....I didn't wear that set out overnight...it took several seasons but I was a bit impressed myself that they were wore down so far.

I later learned that Kahtoola would likely have replaced them if I had sent them in instead of throwing them away....oh well. Lesson learned for when this new set is done for.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Yes sir....I didn't wear that set out overnight...it took several seasons but I was a bit impressed myself that they were wore down so far.

I later learned that Kahtoola would likely have replaced them if I had sent them in instead of throwing them away....oh well. Lesson learned for when this new set is done for.
Ask BOY about the first set he had that he sent in. Resulted in a call from the company asking if they could keep them for show. I think 4 trips into the Frank for goats/sheep + chukar hunting had them wore to nubs.

T_Inman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
He's the one that told me I should have called the company...

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

584 members (12344mag, 1936M71, 160user, 1badf350, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 55 invisible), 2,487 guests, and 1,236 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,408
Posts18,470,229
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.