Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
360BE Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
I was wondering if any of you waterfowlers could give me an idea of the pattern I might expect from the following combination. I may buy the choke and load to use for coyotes if you say it could give me better range/pattern density than copper plated 4's from an ulti-full choke out of the same gun.

Gun: Mossberg 835 w/ 28" tube
Choke: Mossberg X-full T&F (steel only)
Load: Federal drylock 3.5" T (82 pellets? I think its a 1 9/16 oz load)

As you may have guessed, I have minimal experience with steel, and hevi-shot is out of my price range.

360BE

GB1

I am not sure that I understand your question. Are you looking for a load for Coyote or waterfowl? Putting steel through a x-full choke is a no no and have never heard of an x-full being aproved for steel but I could very easily be wrong. If you are looking for a coyote load with a shotgun, I would not suggest using steel, I would use buckshot and if that is for some reason not an option then it depends on the distance. If your talkin aboput shooting coyotes within 40 yards, the 4's would be good, it its within 60 yds, I guess you could use the T's but I have never personally heard of using steel on Coyotes but I dont know. IF you are looking for a waterfowl load then u will have to use the steel. As for patternig, I couldent tell you, but steel is usually best shot through a modefied. Like I said, I am not real sure of your question and Im not sure of my answer either.

-Ken

The secret to flying is to throw yourself at the ground and very simply miss.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Shooting steel unless that coyote is awfully close or you hit him in the head you will almost certainly not recover him IMO.
Forget it.

If you want better killing patterns at longer ranges, load or use premium lead buckshot loads.

"When we put [our enlisted men and women] in harm's way, it had better count for something. It can't be because some policy wonk back here has a brain fart of an idea of a strategy that isn't thought out." General Zinni on Iraq

360BE Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Thanks for the input guys. Figured it would not be a good option, but I try to stay open to anything that may work.

Mossberg does make and sell a choke tube for the 835 that they label as x-full for T and F steel shot.

It was just a shot in the dark, thanks again for the input.

Brandon

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

686 members (10gaugeman, 160user, 007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 16penny, 10gaugemag, 71 invisible), 3,179 guests, and 1,404 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,480
Posts18,471,781
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.