Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
What we're eating now was caught late in Sept., think we have 1 piece each left of ling and rockfish., lots of salmon and halibut left. We have been eating the ling and halibut per everyone's suggestion to use them first. Will try the rockfish tomorrow with your recipe Dan, thanks again. The halibut and salmon don't seem to be any problem, they always come out good, mostly baking or grilling them.

"The day I went to work everybody showed up to watch Johnny Luster work. Well, they had a wheelbarrow there, and said I was to push that thing around all day. I looked at it, then turned around and headed for the mountians..."
GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
This is making me salvate and missing the PNW. Loved catching Rockfish and eating them on the beach with oysters, this in Puget Sound. Not to mention the bounty of crabs and other shellfish.

I ate Salmon almost daily for five months at a stretch when I was guiding in Alaska and I still like it.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by maggie
What we're eating now was caught late in Sept., think we have 1 piece each left of ling and rockfish., lots of salmon and halibut left. We have been eating the ling and halibut per everyone's suggestion to use them first. Will try the rockfish tomorrow with your recipe Dan, thanks again. The halibut and salmon don't seem to be any problem, they always come out good, mostly baking or grilling them.

Halibut is nearly bulletproof in the freezer... save it for last... lingcod and rockfish are delicate and need to be eaten first. Brine lingcod and smoke it for a couple hours before canning and it will keep and be spectacular. Plain canning does not work well because it is too wet.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
I’m a barbarian. Garlic salt, pepper, self caught, processed. Nuke it. I like to taste the fish, more than the seasonings, sauces, marinades.

Fancy calls for butter, maybe some onion, mesquite seasoning, and/or baking. Can’t recall the last time I ever fried fish, tho it was battered halibut nuggets.

I almost never order fish in a restaurant. They ruin it, tho Don Ho’s? mahi-mahi (if I got that right) got a three nights running. After several other places around Hawaii I gave up on that fish too. Never going back to Oahu anyway.

Ok - maybe not the cooks fault - but the freshness of fish. Having worked both set net and drift boat, I ain’t never buying salmon!
U

Last edited by las; 01/20/18.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I am having Halibut for supper tonight. I am going to season it with Paul Prudhomes Seafood Magic. dip it in beaten egg, roll in panko crumbs and saute it in a little coconut oil 3 minutes per side

IC B2

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Hogwild7
I am having Halibut for supper tonight. I am going to season it with Paul Prudhomes Seafood Magic. dip it in beaten egg, roll in panko crumbs and saute it in a little coconut oil 3 minutes per side

I do that a lot. It’s good.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by las
I’m a barbarian. Garlic salt, pepper, self caught, processed. Nuke it. I like to taste the fish, more than the seasonings, sauces, marinades.

Fancy calls for butter, maybe some onion, mesquite seasoning, and/or baking. Can’t recall the last time I ever fried fish, tho it was battered halibut nuggets.

I almost never order fish in a restaurant. They ruin it, tho Don Ho’s? mahi-mahi (if I got that right) got a three nights running. After several other places around Hawaii I gave up on that fish too. Never going back to Oahu anyway.

Ok - maybe not the cooks fault - but the freshness of fish. Having worked both set net and drift boat, I ain’t never buying salmon!
U

With fresh fish, simple is best.

Taco's aren't a bad use for halibut and rockfish.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Do not ever overcook either of them... 10 minutes max per inch of thickness whether grilled or baked. Cod will be very flakey and moist if not over done. Both are difficult to grill without a basket or plank.

A piece of slate flooring tile makes a very good plank for cooking on in the grill.

I just cooked cod several times last week and just panfried it in butter after a roll in lightly-seasoned flour.

AMA just came out last year and admitted there was absolutely NO science behind their long time claims for low-fat diets. It was purely a marketing device for dairy.

The 8-10 minute thing is from the Canadian school of fish cooking and is near perfect for getting it right...

I start grilling halibut skin side up for 3 - 4 minutes, flip and when the skin starts to stick to grill the filet will easily lift off and will be cooked to perfection. (another 4 -5 minutes depending on thickness)

Never try to teach a pig to sing...
...it wastes your time and annoys the pig!
Owl Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a friend in Hoonah. Runs a charted business. Last time I was there, his wife slathered mayonnaise on the top of it, then dropped a bunch of bread crumbs on top and baked it. Was might tasty.

Last edited by Owl; 03/16/18.

James Pepper: There's no law west of Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chisum? John Chisum: Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Properly processed halibut and cod from Alaska has very little fishy odor compared to warmer water fresh water fish. All fish continues to cook when removed from the heat source so keep that in mind. I like halibut, but prefer ling cod, other cod, yellow eye and other rock fish over halibut any day. I find halibut best with a beer, Panko or Tempura batter. Co and rock fish is also good that way, but eats very well when baked with salt, pepper, fresh dill, fresh lemon juice and butter.

Good fish should not be fishy tasting and when I used to have our own salt water boats I always bleed the fish and filleted as quickly a possible and never let the fillets touch fish slime. The few charters I have been on never took the extra care I did and one time after watching a deck hand cleaning fish I told the skipper I wanted to clean my own fish at home.

I took a package of rock fish out for tomorrows dinner and it will get baked and ate with my wife's wonderful tarter sauce! Alaska is blessed with an abundance of wonderful sea food. The moose and caribou are good too!

IC B3

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

570 members (007FJ, 02bfishn, 160user, 10gaugeman, 16gage, 1Longbow, 62 invisible), 2,504 guests, and 1,286 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,434
Posts18,470,811
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.