-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
1) Anyone know the actual torque for the action screws? All kinds of answers out there.

65 in-lb front and rear.

2) Anyone use low strength loc-Tite on action screws?

The action screws typically have a Loctite patch on them from the factory but you could always add a drop of Loctite 242 (blue) to the threads. Personally I would shoot the rifle and check the torque of the action screws periodically to see if they're working loose before adding additional Loctite.

Offering FFL 07 & SOT services in NW Montana
[email protected]
HR IC

Q
qwk Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
Originally Posted by MCMXI
1) Anyone know the actual torque for the action screws? All kinds of answers out there.

65 in-lb front and rear.

2) Anyone use low strength loc-Tite on action screws?

The action screws typically have a Loctite patch on them from the factory but you could always add a drop of Loctite 242 (blue) to the threads. Personally I would shoot the rifle and check the torque of the action screws periodically to see if they're working loose before adding additional Loctite.
Yikes, I would be scared of cracking the tang area with the rear screw that tight. Kimber recommends 45 in-lb front, and 35 rear.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
The wood stocks have aluminum pillars to transfer the clamping force from the underside of the action screw head to the threads of the receiver just like the synthetic stocks, so it's all metal to metal contact.

[email protected]
ChrisAU Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Well, it’s done. Had to sand the Mountain Ascent stock a decent amount at the forend to float the barrel. 308 fit perfectly in the classic stainless stock, I love the look, the extra weight is still less than any other wood stocked rifle with a Z8i on it, and I do like the hinged floor plate.

Meanwhile, suprisingly, the 243 wound up at 5 lbs 1.35 oz. Thats with a titanium mountain ascent bolt, but no other changes to the action.

ChrisAU Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
And thanks to a slip with the dremel sanding bit and a stripe in the stock behind the tang thanks to my Swaro’s weird ass rear flip cover (left it open with the rifle slung over my shoulder and the rear cover rotated the focus and ground away a nice 1.5” or so of the olive green finish), I just ordered some hunter green krylon, Black webbing paint, and clear. Been wanting to try that. I know it’ll add an ounce or so but it should look sweet and be more durable.

IC B2

Q
qwk Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
The wood stocks have aluminum pillars to transfer the clamping force from the underside of the action screw head to the threads of the receiver just like the synthetic stocks, so it's all metal to metal contact.
You are right. The wood stock would have no problem with that torque. The OP mentioned a Montana, so that's why I made that comment. I should have made it more clear.

A few years ago, Kimber had a problem with cracked Montana stocks, so they now recommend 35 in-lb for the rear screw.

ChrisAU Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by qwk
You are right. The wood stock would have no problem with that torque. The OP mentioned a Montana, so that's why I made that comment. I should have made it more clear.

A few years ago, Kimber had a problem with cracked Montana stocks, so they now recommend 35 in-lb for the rear screw.

I tested it by upping my torque screwdriver 5 in/lbs at a time when taking the mountain ascent apart. They both finally cracked at 45 in/lbs, so thats what they went back in at with the 243 action. I did run the 308 up to 65 in/lbs, I didn't feel as if I was stressing anything. It was maybe a 1/4 turn more than the 45 in/lbs.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member

The synthetic stocks also have aluminum pillars for metal to metal contact. If you call CS these days you'll get 65 in-lb front and rear on all action screws for all rifles.

Kimber sells a 65 in-lb torque wrench if anyone is interested. I have a couple that are very convenient for action screws but I prefer and use Wiha torque screwdrivers for general rifle/optic use.

http://store.kimberamerica.com/65-in-lb-torque-wrench

[email protected]
Q
qwk Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q

The synthetic stocks also have aluminum pillars for metal to metal contact. If you call CS these days you'll get 65 in-lb front and rear on all action screws for all rifles.

Kimber sells a 65 in-lb torque wrench if anyone is interested. I have a couple that are very convenient for action screws but I prefer and use Wiha torque screwdrivers for general rifle/optic use.

http://store.kimberamerica.com/65-in-lb-torque-wrench

I believe you. Who do you talk to at Kimber to get these answers? Every time I call, they still say 45/35, and they will not sell me a Montana stock without sending the gun with a broken stock in.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 1234, 62 invisible), 2,353 guests, and 1,241 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,394
Posts18,488,821
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.