Print Thread
Hop To
G
gremcat Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Bought a used Hawken Flintlock from a Hunting Camp who's owner passed. It was a fantastic deal and I fired it for the first time today. First time with a Flint and shooting 3F Goex and a PRB I managed about 3" at 50 and the same 3" at 75. Not bad considering it was pushing - temps today. I stripped it and really went over it with a pick and toothbrush. It looked like new but the flint screw and touch hole Insert had some rust on the threads so I scrubbed them really well and even put a syringe tip of grease on the Frizzem spring hinge and after cycling it a few dozen times wiped out even the smallest dab of grease. It really helped smooth it out.

My challenge is the set triggers. This is the Cabelas Hawken made by Investarms. They sell it under a few different brands. The rear set trigger I was able to get a more clean set. At the range the main trigger felt like it was 10 lbs. so I tried the Set function. It was hard to set and required extra force after travel stopped to get a click. The main trigger felt the same or harder. I've since tried adjusting both the main spring and set trigger. I was able to get the main trigger manageable at probably 4-5#s but the Set Trigger just produces a two stage affect. I am betting the kick of is damaged so it turns into a creepy long pull then the main trigger still takes the same force. Anything I should look at or do I just spend 50 bucks on an REDavis replacement set trigger andscrap this one? I've never played with double set triggers. Just CZ single set trigger. I am used to a sub 1# pull on all of my rifles. My AR has a Hyperfire 24 3 gun trigger. It's s single stage and I think it's just over 1.25#s I have a very nice pull Gage but it's at work. I should have returned it to my tool box but haven't used it in awhile. It has the computer hookup to plot the curve. I may get it just to get a better idea where this is at but it really doesn't matter. It's way to heavy for me. I keep hearing posters complain theirs are too light. Somehow I got the military issue Mauser trigger that seems broke it takes so much force.

GB1

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
When you adjust the triggers turn the gun upside down first the adjust also just use transmission fluid on locks an inside works of gun won't freeze or rust

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

595 members (10ring1, 160user, 007FJ, 1eyedmule, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 61 invisible), 2,601 guests, and 1,297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,476
Posts18,471,546
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.