Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I was considering a Kimber Montana, and may still go that route, but the cost of a Tikka T3x superlite is less the cost of a Leupold VX3i in 2.5x8x36.

My local Cabela's has the T3 Superlite in the crappy camo stock for $170 more than Sportsman's Warehouse sells the black stock version for, not interested in that rifle. I've found that the Superlite only weight 3 or 4 ounces less than the standard weight model. Nearest Sportsmans Warehouse is 175 miles away, would you make the drive for 4 ounces or I could have it shipped also, figure $30 for the shipping and $20 for the transfer at my local dealer, so $50 bucks.

Other than the weight, is there something I'm missing?

GB1

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Is the camo stock worth $170 more than the black stock? No. By the way, if you've ever used them, I know it is subjective, they aren't really crappy stocks. If those stocks are what made/make Tikkas so frickin' accurate I would try to locate one for every rifle I own. My reccomendation, keep your eyes peeled for a good deal for a used one. They regularly pop up here in the classifieds for much less than you appear to be contemplating Sparetime. Good luck in your quest.

Last edited by Mad_Max; 01/10/18.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
To me, it would be worth the drive, IM OCD about it. If I got the normal one from Cabelas Id regret not getting the SL, I also don't like that camo stock or the price mark up on the Cabelas model.

Id make the drive, and hit a good lunch at a place I don't normally get to go, maybe bring a friend along for the road trip.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I keep telling myself it is just a few ounces , not worth it etc etc. I want one but it has to wait until I buy a Bergara

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Sportsmans won't ship,I'm pretty sure. To me it's more about what I want than economics. If it was all just economics I would only own one rifle and one shotgun.

IC B2

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I've had Lites and a Superlite, there is nothing wrong with either, but I don't think I'd pay the extra for the few oz difference again. Also, it might just have been my rifles (and isn't constrained to Tikka's), but it seems like my fluted hunting weight barrels have been more finicky than non-fluted versions.

Last edited by Gtscotty; 01/10/18.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I'd make the drive. I don't like the camo stocks and they damn sure aren't worth the extra money. As for flutes or not, that's entirely personal preference. We can't make up your mind for you. Hint

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
What caliber are you chasing down?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Sparetime
I was considering a Kimber Montana, and may still go that route, but the cost of a Tikka T3x superlite is less the cost of a Leupold VX3i in 2.5x8x36.

My local Cabela's has the T3 Superlite in the crappy camo stock for $170 more than Sportsman's Warehouse sells the black stock version for, not interested in that rifle. I've found that the Superlite only weight 3 or 4 ounces less than the standard weight model. Nearest Sportsmans Warehouse is 175 miles away, would you make the drive for 4 ounces or I could have it shipped also, figure $30 for the shipping and $20 for the transfer at my local dealer, so $50 bucks.

Other than the weight, is there something I'm missing?

Have you ever made an online gun purchase?

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
if you are hunting small games then the creedmoor is he way to go. recoil is unbelievable.

A True Leader knows the way, shows the way and goes the way.
IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I would be rational and get the rifle I didn’t want, then within six months sell it and drive 175 miles, but that’s just me.

Learning the buy once cry once theory has been a long hard road.

“Lighten up Francis”
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by landlord44
if you are hunting small games then the creedmoor is he way to go. recoil is unbelievable.

Holy C R A P P !! That's NOT his question.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Guess What ?

I am FED up with the 'creedCRAP' not pertaining to the OP, being injected to discussions.
Just thot you'd need to know.!!

Jerry

Last edited by jwall; 01/10/18.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Sparetime

My local Cabela's has the T3 Superlite in the crappy camo stock for $170 more than

Sportsman's Warehouse sells the black stock version for, not interested in that rifle.

I've found that the Superlite only weight 3 or 4 ounces less than the standard weight model. Nearest Sportsmans Warehouse is 175 miles away, would you make the drive for 4 ounces or I could have it shipped also, figure $30 for the shipping and $20 for the transfer at my local dealer, so $50 bucks.

Maybe it's JUST ME but I'm NOT certain WHICH stock your are NOT interested in.??

Regardless, take this from personal experience.....Don't SETTLE for something you don't like. I have NEVER been happy settling.

BTW - I like the looks of the Camo stock. Everybody doesn't.

Jerry

Last edited by jwall; 01/10/18.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
If you have a FFL licensee near you that will receive and transfer for you for a reasonable fee (say $25 or so) then why not order a standard weight Superlite from Whittaker's?

You can order and pay for it on Whittaker's website and they send it to your FFL, a very easy process. The last firearm I ordered from them was here in 3 days and I am over a 1000 miles away from them.

I don't know where you live but where I am when I order something I am not charged state sales tax on it - something else to consider. Or you could just spend the dollars and drive 175 miles.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
The one I played with at Cabela’s last weekend was nice. But it was $999.99. So no, it’s not worth 175 mike drive.

Camp is where you make it.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by jwall
Guess What ?

I am FED up with the 'creedCRAP' not pertaining to the OP, being injected to discussions.

Jerry

I know what you mean . . . kind of reminds me of the TikkaCRAP that crops up in every thread smile

Some guy is asking about a Mauser 98 and some douchebag tells him to get a Tikka smile

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by WhelenAway
Guess What ?

Jerry

I know what you mean . . . kind of reminds me of the TikkaCRAP that crops up in every thread smile

Some guy is asking about a Mauser 98 and some douchebag tells him to get a Tikka smile

laugh laugh

I am a Tikka fan/user but I 'pretty sure' I'm NOT guilty of that.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Guess What ?

Jerry

The OBVIOUS answer to every question is “get a Tikka in 6.5 Creeedmoor.”

Duh

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Guess What ?

Jerry

laugh laugh

I am a Tikka fan/user but I 'pretty sure' I'm NOT guilty of that.

Jerry

Yes, as I recall, you are innocent smile

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

507 members (1lessdog, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 1minute, 06hunter59, 257robertsimp, 60 invisible), 2,444 guests, and 1,255 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,549
Posts18,472,957
Members73,940
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.