Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by wyo1895
Some of you will recognize items I bought from you.

ya a few recievers..smile

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

GB1

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Gun safe

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by s99

Fireball2 I have one of these early gun safe for my 99’s which holds 42 rifles and on top quiet a few handguns.
Here is the sight. www.pendletonsafes.com They are not cheap.
George

Interesting. i built a really fancy oak gun cabinet with a revolving turn-style but it only held 8 rifles. Never thought about one like the Pendleton. Might have to ponder that concept.

LOL
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I think I might create a single rifle display and just rotate rifles out of the safe so I can at least look at one and feel like it's not standing against the wall ready to fall over.

LOL
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Fireball2
I think I might create a single rifle display and just rotate rifles out of the safe so I can at least look at one and feel like it's not standing against the wall ready to fall over.

Sounds like a plan to me.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Safe. Don't like not being able to fondle them, but don't want to have them stolen either. Did turn a China hutch into a beautiful display case, so I can have a bunch out to look at.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This is one of my safes, so don't get it confused with pictures from Loggah's vault -

[Linked Image]

modified to have removable cross bars -

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Gene
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
No safe, unfortunately. I live on the second floor of a 100+ year old house. It is balloon framed which is solid enough but the joists and floor were not built to withstand the weight of a safe or safes sufficient to hold my collection. I got around it somewhat by walling off one end of a 4x20 foot closet with a heavy door, high end locks, and concealed hinges. It won't stop a determined professional house breaker but it'll slow him down. It should stop a doper looking to score for a fix. Besides, my landlord lives downstairs and they have to get past him and the alarms, and he's gunned up as well as I am and home all day every day.

A moot point because I'm going to sell all my guns and related stuff and start collecting Barbie Dolls.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by gnoahhh

A moot point because I'm going to sell all my guns and related stuff and start collecting Barbie Dolls.

You're still going to have to guard against Display Anxiety.

IMO.

LOL
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Originally Posted by gnoahhh

You're still going to have to guard against Display Anxiety.

IMO.

Or Display Performance. I'm not sure which one we are talking about.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

IC B3

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
Wow, now I know why I can't find any old Savage 22's.....Gene has them all !

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I had to buy gun safe my better half did not want her grandkids getting into my guns. I use to have them leaning in corners and up against walls in cases. Now they are secured in the safe

Tom
C
ctw Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
The single biggest problem with collecting is how to display. Myself I try not to own to many collectible rifles , once found I try and put them where they belong (a home that appreciates them) Don has done an amazing job on the vault but that coupled with the insurance would mean another mortgage payment for me. David brings his out for display at shows so many get to see the amazing rifle.

Maybe pictures on the net is the best way?

What you have done is not nearly as important as how you have done it!!!
The Old Fart 2008 A.D.
C
ctw Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
Don
I still hope to visit your vault someday, I was hoping it could be coupled with a moose hunt but chances of that look pretty slim now.

What you have done is not nearly as important as how you have done it!!!
The Old Fart 2008 A.D.
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Originally Posted by Loggah
Here was my answer to the problem

http://www.pbase.com/loggah/the_vault

Simply fantastic work Loggah. I would never want to leave that space. Just Awesome!

Thanks for sharing,

dave

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
...just a sidenote to this posting.

Do a lot of homework when shopping for safes.. MANY of them are no more than a prettied up steel locker with a bit of fire retardency added.... and nearly no safe on the market is "fireproof".

For the price of a really good gun safe, 3k to $10k range, you could opt to build a vault room, or fire-proof room for the same money or less, and have a lot more storage area. It would likely lack a bit of the security factor of a good safe though..

One part of my daily job, is that I am the locksmith at the College I work at. And we do have a few safes for money, papers, and for our Police department. Over the years I have had to deal with safes off and on and have learned a lot about what really makes a good one, and a cheap one.

Our chief of Police was enraged one day, when I got a call that their safe (I didnt get to pick it out...) wouldnt open. It took about 3 minutes to defeat the lock, and was in...All because it was a cheap safe, all dressed up with pretty paint and shiny chrome handles.

Once I had it open I showed him the actual lock, linkage, etc...and how weak it was built, he said, "that thing is a piece of @#$%^ !

Now, i am not saying all safes are bad. Any safe, or locker sure helps keep kids out and provides some protection. But, if you really want a good strong safe, do your homework and pay the price.

dave

Last edited by ilikemilitaria; 01/14/18.
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
My Old Man was too cheap to buy a safe. He would go around hiding his guns all around the house when leaving for extended periods of time. He died two days after they came home from a month in Maine, and it was up to me to suss out all of his hidey holes. Mom wasn't much help as you can imagine. I found them all but one. I knew he had a Ruger .22 semiauto pistol (I gave it to him) but I was darned if I could find it. Twelve years later Mom sold the house and I helped clean the place out. When I pulled his homemade workbench/cabinet away from the wall I spied a mysterious hole in the drywall- looked like a rat hole. Sure enough, inside the hole was the pistol, wrapped in an oily rag.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
That's quite a story. I trust the oily rag kept it well.

"Klaatu barada nikto"

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U sure them bar b dolls

Don't need air in em?

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I had them strewed all over the house also,could never find the gun i wanted ,when i wanted !!! madI finally got pizzed and said enough and built the vault . The problem was in building a large vault was then you had to finish filling it !! crazy crazy grinI had to kill a lot of trees,and dig a lot of gravel to build that vault building,but i had a lot of other logging and historical collectables to store so it was a twofold project. Don

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

566 members (160user, 204guy, 1234, 16gage, 06hunter59, 1OntarioJim, 49 invisible), 2,285 guests, and 1,251 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,399
Posts18,470,113
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.