Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
I'm interested in a new muzzleloader for shooting Blackhorn 209 powder.

The TC Impact looks like it could be pretty good for what I can afford.

Any opinions?

GB1

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
That is the 3rd muzzle loader I have bought. I have had it three years. I have killed two elk and 5 Dee with it. The two elk with. 348 gr Powerbelts and 90 gr of 209. 3 deer with 295 gr Powerbelts and 2 deer with Hornady 240 gr SST. All 50 cal, except the SST which were 45cal sabotaged .all with 209.

The rifle shoots extremely well. Better than I can. I had one of the SSTs stick in the barrel while loading after the 5th shot with 209, so don't let anyone tell you that you can get 10-15 shots with cleaning

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Bought one last year. It's the base model. First muzzleloader I've ever owned and before that had only shot a muzzleloader twice in 40+ years. Bought it mainly because of the removable butt section to reduce the LOP and the BH209 capability. And the price of course. I haven't found anything not to like about it. NICE fiber optic sights but my old eyes can't use them so I use an M8 2.5x20 w/hvy plex. Using only 70 volume units of BH209,a 250gr .45cal Hornady HP/XTP(.452),a Harvester .50cal black Crush Rib Sabot (red ones were too tight),and a Federal 209A primer I can put three shoots touching at 100yds off a rest. Great trigger. Killed my first deer with it this season at no more than a couple yards either side of 100yds while on one knee. High double lung and heard him fall after about a 30yds run. IMHO it's a lot of rifle for the money.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
I'm interested in a new muzzleloader for shooting Blackhorn 209 powder.

The TC Impact looks like it could be pretty good for what I can afford.

Any opinions?

Good choice for those of us on a restricted budget.
Nothing additional (in breechplugs/parts) to buy, in order to accept Blackhorn 209 powder and ignite it fully, when using a hot 209 primer....ie..... Federal 209A, CCI-Mag or Winchester 209.

D
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
Does the Impact tend to have a "tight" bore making it hard to load?

Are there any tricks needed to make one run well?

IC B2

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
I know it's tighter than my son-in-law's CVA Wolf. I found I couldn't use the Harvester red Crush Ribs as they were too tight. After we had his Wolf breech plug modified to use BH209 he now uses the same components as I do except his can use the red sabots and he runs a bit more powder than me (80?). I plan on running both our loads through my chronograph at some point even though we plan on sticking with what works. I did a lot of research before deciding on the Impact and what to run in it. The component combination I use was recommended to me the most. It was my screw up in ordering the red sabots instead of the black ones which I was told to use. I use no special tricks in loading. Maybe the Impact is just not particular about what it shoots and how it's loaded. Hopefully others who have Impact load data that work's for them will post.

Last edited by EZEARL; 01/15/18.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
[quote=EZEARL It was my screw up in ordering the red sabots instead of the black ones which I was told to use. [/quote]

Thinking on it that was probably my mistake also. In CO , sabots are not permitted, so I took someone else's advise for a Nebraska whitetail hunt

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
shoot 90-100gn of blackhorn and a 295 powerbelt. it will load easy,shoot great and kill .

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Originally Posted by saddlesore
[quote=EZEARL It was my screw up in ordering the red sabots instead of the black ones which I was told to use.

Thinking on it that was probably my mistake also. In CO , sabots are not permitted, so I took someone else's advise for a Nebraska whitetail hunt[/quote]

I found they were too tight the first time I had it at the range. Also was the first time I've ever loaded a muzzleloader. First load was tight but I didn't know then what was too tight. Second loading and it stuck 2/3rds of the way down the bbl. Luckily with help from a friend holding the rifle I got it seated and fired it. So far I haven't shot it enough in one hunting season to know how many shots you can get before it needs to be cleaned. But if I do my plan is if I feel a noticeable change in seating force I'll pull my .50cal boresnake through it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have owned an Impact for four years. It's accurate, I use the black Harvester crush rib sabots with either a 250 gr. or 300 gr. XTP and easily shoot sub 1.5" groups at 100 yards. I can usually shoot a three shoot group in a tidy triangle of about 1". Unlike the poster above I've shot a couple dozen consecutive shots of B209 with no barrel cleaning and zero trouble. The gun has been reliable. I've left it loaded for a couple weeks, hunting in some pretty rough weather and storing it the truck in the garage never bringing it in the house and it's always fired when needed. It's a simple rifle to clean up, no issues there. Especially with Blackhorn 209, clean up is easy peasy. I have a Leupold VX2 2x7 on the rifle and kill deer in the big timber with no troubles. My Impact has been trouble free and simple, I'd recommend it without hesitation.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
IC B3

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
MOGC. Probably the difference between the red and black sabots. I never had the problem with Powerbelts.

The Impact is sure a lot lighter than my TC Black Diamond or Hawkin

Last edited by saddlesore; 01/15/18.

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Actually just unloaded and cleaned mine. Been loaded since 12/5. Was suppose to do a first week of 2018 hunt in Virginia that didn't happen. Unloaded it by removing the breech plug,emptying the powder,and pushing the bullet/sabot through. I pulled the boresnake through to get the loose stuff out. Shiny as can be with no corrosion whatsoever. Of course that's saying more for the powder than the firearm.

Last edited by EZEARL; 01/15/18.
D
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
Sounds like I should get one.

I have to use open sights here. Are they good sights? Can you get your head down on the cheekpiece to see them fine?

Last edited by DakotaDeer; 01/15/18.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
Sounds like I should get one.

I have to use open sights here. Are they good sights? Can you get your head down on the cheekpiece to see them fine?

I have had no problem with the drop for the FO sights . I don't really like FO sights,but t hey work ok. You can alaways change to a Williams peep

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I'm using BH 209 and Dead Center 195gr Duplex Sabot in mine with great results. The Impact is a nice and light handy rifle to hunt with.

Don't lose the 1" stock spacer, TC will not replace it. They won't even sell me one, say they don't have it. I've been trying to find one for three years. I have a piece of laminated wood and plan to make one sometime.

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
PM sent.

Last edited by EZEARL; 01/16/18.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

507 members (10gaugeman, 1minute, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 1234, 60 invisible), 2,341 guests, and 1,210 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,126
Posts18,502,517
Members73,989
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.