Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Bently Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
I have an old Model 94 in .30 WCF that has to be charitable a very bad bore. I am in process of cleaning it. Currently, I can hit a 10" gong with it offhand everytime at 50 yards (haven't tried any further),using factory ammo.

In fact, it it sitting on the kitchen table as I type, with the 5th or 6th load of foaming cleaner soaking.

After I finish cleaning the barrel, I will shoot it again to see if it's accurate enough to hunt with at the intended .30 WCF distances.

If I cannot get it to shoot acceptably, is it possible to reline to barrel to .30 WCF ?

This is a weapon that will never be sold, as it is a family heirloom.

Regards,
Ben
GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
While relining is feasible it may be more cost effective to locate a used barrel for your rifle. Try an ad in the classified section here, be sure to mention the serial # of your rifle in your ad.

W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
Or, one could see about having it bored out to a different caliber. I would think opening it up to 32 Special or 38/55 should be possible.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Rebore to 38-55. I had JES do A old 94 for me, could not be more happy with the rifle. Turn around time was fast and work was under 300.00 dollars.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I had a 1906 Marlin 94 relined that was in 38-40 chambering. Total cost was about $400 + shipping. I'd clean it up and if it doesn't shoot,find one for about that price and keep the old one for a wall hanger since it is an heirloom

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I too would re-barrel it, and keep the original barrel with the gun for posterity.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I'm in the same boat. I have my Dad's Model 92 in 44-40.

Barrel is smoothbore but the rifle is priceless to the family.

Recommend a good 'smith for a re-barrel?

Thanks.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Given the heirloom factor - I would look at a re-line - mostly to keep the original markings.

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Bently
I have an old Model 94 in .30 WCF that has to be charitable a very bad bore. I am in process of cleaning it. Currently, I can hit a 10" gong with it offhand everytime at 50 yards (haven't tried any further),using factory ammo.

In fact, it it sitting on the kitchen table as I type, with the 5th or 6th load of foaming cleaner soaking.

After I finish cleaning the barrel, I will shoot it again to see if it's accurate enough to hunt with at the intended .30 WCF distances.

If I cannot get it to shoot acceptably, is it possible to reline to barrel to .30 WCF ?

This is a weapon that will never be sold, as it is a family heirloom.

Several good options given above... my thoughts are colored by the fact I have had more than a few similar firearms; family guns, but "accuracy issues" and expensive fixes beyond the value of the gun. Rebores are cheaper than rebarrels, but more iffy... rebores require marring original stamping.

I have several different guns I had a twist applied to with mostly very good results...

Rebore and get a chamber adapter... or skip the rebore all together

http://www.mcace.com/adapters.htm

Not the ideal, but dirt cheap and it keeps the lead flying...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Redmans in Omak, WA used to install liners in low pressure applications like 30-30, 25-35, 32-40 and such. Drilled out the rifling, soldered in the liner. Leaves the barrel markings intact as the caliber doesn't change.

Go tell the Spartans,Travelers passing by,That here,Obedient to their laws we lie.

I'm older now but I'm still runnin' against the wind

IC B3

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by Skidrow
Redmans in Omak, WA used to install liners in low pressure applications like 30-30, 25-35, 32-40 and such. Drilled out the rifling, soldered in the liner. Leaves the barrel markings intact as the caliber doesn't change.

I used John Walsh in WA. Last time I contacted him though,he was booked for a year

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Buy a box of the 160 gr hornady leverevolution ammo and shoot it off a bench and bags at 50yds for groups comparing it to other loads, see if ya can get it "zeroed" about an inch high at 50 and then shoot it off hand.
I shot 4 different types of factory loads in my marlin 36g .30-30, the hornady is tack driving stuff.
I would spend 50-75 bucks on different ammo and do some shooting on a bench at 50 yds with it, before spending alot more. Jmo.....
Might surprise ya and save alot of money.

B
Bently Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by gunswizard
While relining is feasible it may be more cost effective to locate a used barrel for your rifle. Try an ad in the classified section here, be sure to mention the serial # of your rifle in your ad.

Thanks, this rifle is pre-1900, apparently. My research indicates that used barrels are a bit pricey, but I have not really looked very hard yet. I suppose a later model (but still pre-64) barrel might still work, need to do more research.

Regards,
Ben
B
Bently Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by driftless
Rebore to 38-55. I had JES do A old 94 for me, could not be more happy with the rifle. Turn around time was fast and work was under 300.00 dollars.

Thanks, I will keep that open as an option. It looked to me like relining is cheaper, in general, than re-boring. But I need to do more research.

Regards,
Ben
B
Bently Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by saddlesore
I had a 1906 Marlin 94 relined that was in 38-40 chambering. Total cost was about $400 + shipping. I'd clean it up and if it doesn't shoot,find one for about that price and keep the old one for a wall hanger since it is an heirloom

I don't want to get into the details of the situation, but the preference is to keep it as a shooter of useable accuracy. I'll take it to the range this weekend and see what it can do.

It still works, amazingly enough, but obviously has been well used, as in carried in a saddle scabbard.

Regards,
Ben
B
Bently Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by Skidrow

Yeah, I looked at his website. I did not see anything about relining a .30 WCF barrel back to .30 WCF. In fact, of the several gunmsiths I could find who do tha sort of work, none mentined .30 WCF to .30 WCF.

Hence my question if it's even possible.

Regards,
Ben
B
Bently Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by renegade50
Buy a box of the 160 gr hornady leverevolution ammo and shoot it off a bench and bags at 50yds for groups comparing it to other loads, see if ya can get it "zeroed" about an inch high at 50 and then shoot it off hand.
I shot 4 different types of factory loads in my marlin 36g .30-30, the hornady is tack driving stuff.
I would spend 50-75 bucks on different ammo and do some shooting on a bench at 50 yds with it, before spending alot more. Jmo.....
Might surprise ya and save alot of money.

Thanks, I'm going to do just that. Like I said, Remington green and yellow 150 grain, and one old box of WW 170 Powerpoints all smacked the gong everytime at 50, so I'm hopeful it will shoot well enough to be usable.

I loaded up 50 rounds of a mid-range load using Speer 150 gr. flatpoints this weekend, b ut didn't make it to the range.

We will see what happens this weekend, for sure.
With my eyes (trifocals), "zeroed" with open sights is debatable, LOL. I'll have my 12 year old help, he sees like a hawk.

Regards,
Ben
B
Bently Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Thanks everybody who responded.

Regards,
Ben
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
I have a 1902 win 94 in 32 win special same problem. Barrel shot out. In the day to make a shooter out of them they rebored and chambered them to 35-30. I haven't found anybody who will do a reline to 32 special. for one thing no liners. The 32 win special is a .321 bore. In your case a reline would keep the rifle correct to markings and petina.

B
Bently Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
And yet another question:
The rear sight had half of one side broken off, and it looks like somebody (not me, Lol) filed down the high side to match.

I can't find a source for an original type sight (if the one on it is even original). It's not a semi-buckhorn, and the font sight is a blade pinned into a block that appears to be soldered (I'm assuming) to the barrel. So the rear sight is a straight up vertical notch in the rear blade.

I can tell that at least one screw (in the front barrel band) has been replaced with one that is too long, and there are a couple of wood putty filled spots on the stock next to the receiver near the tang, and on the forearm.

All that to show this isn't a pristine collectors item.

Regards,
Ben
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

262 members (264mag, 1_deuce, 204guy, 260Remguy, 29 invisible), 1,969 guests, and 1,147 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,755
Posts18,476,352
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.