Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 12 1 2 3 4 11 12
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by mjbgalt
Well using myself as an example....I do not have a degree and I am not a math type brain and am not mechanical beyond small repairs and such. So if a kid has my skill set it sounds like he will starve lol

I am sure you could pretty much do anything that you HAD to in order to make it.

I think anyone could.

People should not let career satisfaction, or having your "dream job" stand in the way of a good living.

I am MAGA.
GB1

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by Borchardt
My nephew went to work in the oil patch right out of high school. At 30, he's a driller, and making WELL into 6 figures.

The oilfield is a lucrative field.

Gotta put away some $$ when the sun is shining... to make from one layoff to the next if you are in certain aspects of it though.

Virtually none of them do that!

I am MAGA.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Some guy named Bill Gates dropped out of collage, what ever happened to him?

In math we'd say stories like his fit into a set of very small measure.

M
mjbgalt Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Seeking one person to change the entire world's use of computers and invent schit that doesn't exist yet...apply within lol

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
The new trend, which is a good one in my opinion, is to participate in dual enrollment courses the last few years of high school, coming out with an Associates degree nearly in the bag. Then a couple of more years gets a Bachelors but with integrated internships/apprentice programs that pretty much guarantee a kid a job upon graduation.

That works very well for those who follow it, and debt is kept much lower with a foot in the door before even graduating.

IC B2

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Wall Street Journal last year reported that only 1 person in 100 with a 4 year degree will make more money than a skilled tradesman. I have my graduate degree but encourage young people to discern the trades before getting into the higher education trap. The trap is earning a degree that does not have the potential to ever make enough money to pay your debt and live a good life. I think it is tougher now to get into a field that will allow you to earn a good living. Gary U

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Jim you seem pretty negative on this subject...you seem like a good dude so I am not attacking you here...but is it really that bad? All of them fail to prepare and save? I hate to sound like a Democrat but if that's true then in a way it ain't just the kids failing. It's their parents teaching them and setting a schit example, yes?

Last edited by mjbgalt; 01/16/18.
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
I dont know what its like in other places.....but you dont have enough fingers and toes to count all the success stories from around here......from folks who did not finish high school let alone go to college.

I am MAGA.
W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Some guy named Wayne Huizenga dropped out, and started a garbage collection business. He sold that, and got into some thing called Blockbuster.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Seeking one person to change the entire world's use of computers and invent schit that doesn't exist yet...apply within lol

Lol, While those with the big degrees were saying WTF is a computer.......

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
That's the catch...how many of those jobs are there and how does a kid find one
go to the areas where manufacturing is heavy

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Wabigoon...you can name all 100 famous people you can think of and there will still be 2 million examples of people who fell thru the cracks. Your point is taken, that one does not need to go to school to succeed.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by blanket
That's the catch...how many of those jobs are there and how does a kid find one
go to the areas where manufacturing is heavy

China?

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
try eastern Iowa

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have followed Dave Ramsey's financial advice for the past 12 years and have attained financial freedom beyond my expectations. The article below is typical of the considered opinions Dave shares with the public both in print and on the radio. College is worth it if it results in acquiring a stream of money that will get you out of debt in a reasonable amount of time. Both of my boys went to college, but neither acquired a bachelor's degree. However, they are in a career path in oil and gas pipeline construction that pays them very well, so they learned enough to excel at the job, and they have zero college debt. I had to get a degree in order to achieve my goal of a Marine Corps commission and eventual military retirement.

Is College Worth It?

Dave Ramsey

Student loans can turn what should be a blessing—an education—into a burden.

Our financial coaches have seen far too many families struggle to repay educational debts while their marriages, mortgages and careers hang in the balance. One family owed an unbelievable $800,000 in student loans! It’s a familiar problem that’s plaguing the nation, as total student loan debt is over $1.34 trillion!(1)

So, is college worth it these days?

Let’s take a look:

Is college really worth it?
Some go to college out of obligation or out of expectation, but many people go to college embracing the promise that it will give them a better life. But with the Federal Reserve of New York reporting that 43% of college grads are working a job that doesn’t require a degree,(2) is college worth it? You decide.

What are the alternatives?
Contrary to popular belief, there are alternatives to college that don’t include working minimum wage. Becoming a real estate agent, medical assistant or web developer won’t require a college degree, but will require some training. You can also enlist in the military without having a college degree. And if you do decide to go to college later, you may be eligible to have it covered through the GI Bill. Is college worth it in that case? It’s something to think about.

Are you ready to be the CEO of your own company? Start your own business. Nowadays, you don’t need a degree in business to be in business. You can embrace the entrepreneurial spirit and start your own business in just a few minutes thanks to places like eBay, Etsy and Amazon.

And if you want more of a traditional learning structure, you can always look into taking free online classes, learning a skill at a trade school, or getting your associate degree at a community college.

Myths About College

Myth: I need a college degree to find a job.
Truth: A bachelor’s (or master’s) degree can open doors, but hard work keeps those doors open. Some of the world’s wealthiest businesspeople didn’t even finish college—think technology tycoons Bill Gates, Larry Ellison and Michael Dell. They’re proof the traditional route isn’t the only path to success. Don’t count out the alternatives like trade schools, community colleges, apprenticeships and good old-fashioned entrepreneurial drive.

Myth: I need to go out of state for the degree I want.
Truth: Enrolling in an out-of-state public university can increase your costs significantly. As in, "$10,000—$20,000 more per year" significantly. That’s not even considering the flights to get there or the long car rides home. Plus, many students change majors at least once during their academic careers—if not more. So think twice before heading across the state border.

Myth: All degrees make money after college.
Truth: That depends on what your definition of "making money" is. Sure, they’ll all help you bring home a paycheck—but not all degrees are created equal. According to the Federal Reserve Bank of New York, the average salary for a history major right after college is $35,000. But, if you have a degree in mechanical engineering, you’d be making $60,000 right out of the gate.(3)

Myth: My future employer will care where I went to school.
Truth: Most employers don’t look at your GPA, and they don’t care about your alma mater. In fact, you may be surprised what business leaders consider when looking at potential hires. A Gallup survey found only 9% place importance on where a student graduated from, while 84% considered the amount of knowledge a candidate has in the field as very important.(4)

Myth: The cost of college is so high, you have to get a student loan.
Truth: Believe it or not—you can go to college without taking out a student loan! You have a lot of options. Don’t think scholarships aren’t worth your time—apply for as many as possible. Then choose an in-state university or local community college. Find a part-time job while you go to school (even a work-study program will help). And look for non-traditional options too, like joining the military or taking a few semesters off to save up before you go. Don’t buy the lie. There are plenty of ways to pay for college without taking out student loans.

Myths About Student Loans

Myth: Student loans are good debt.
Truth: Debt means you owe someone money. Period. That paycheck after you graduate? Yep, you’ll have to give a big chunk of it to the government or a private lender after your grace period ends. Instead of saving money to get married, travel, buy a house, or start a family, you get to make interest payments—and lots of them. Doesn’t that take a lot of the fun out of life?

Myth: I’ll just get all my loans forgiven.
Truth: Loan forgiveness programs exist to attract smart grads to low-paying government jobs (usually the kind no one else wants). And they come with a laundry list of stipulations. For example, the Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program applies to specific not-for-profit employees who’ve already made 120 payments on their Direct Loans. So you’ll still be paying back most of your debt while simultaneously limiting your income.

Myth: I’ll make enough to pay back my loans after I graduate.
Truth: Will you? If you’re part of the 43% working a job that doesn’t require a college degree, you probably didn’t expect that after four long years of studying. Look, there are no guarantees you’ll find your dream job right away—it could take years. Remove a ton of post-grad pressure by refusing loans from the get-go.

Myth: If I lose my job, I’ll just go back to school.
Truth: Sometimes going back to school makes sense. But not when you’re unemployed with a family to support. If you already have a degree and years of experience in your field, find something temporary while you search for a lasting career. Don’t accrue debt for another set of letters when you already have plenty of money-earning potential.

Myth: If I get into a serious financial scrape, I’ll file for bankruptcy.
Truth: Student loans are nearly impossible to get rid of, even in bankruptcy. Unless you can prove undue hardship—which is difficult to do—lenders can garnish your wages or take away your driver’s license upon default. How’s that for a reality check? If you’ve already found yourself in student loan debt, the best thing to do is get rid of it as quickly as possible.

So is college worth it in the long run? We’ll leave the ball in your court. If you think college is right for you, then make sure you are prepared. But remember no debt is good debt—no matter how many letters it puts behind your name. Still have questions? The Graduate Survival Guide is the playbook you need as you prepare to enter the collegiate world.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
M
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
I am a Dave Ramsey fan, as well. I taught one of his classes and was an insurance ELP.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Been a while since I was in college, but I believe you can go to a good land grant college and get out with far less than $100,000 in debt, and have a good education, that’s employable.
Apply for scholarships, there are lots of small ones that are not hard to get, but they add up. The student can work. I worked one job during the school year and two jobs in the summer. Hopefully mom and dad can chip in some.
Oh, and don’t major in gender studies, Ancient Greek history, etc and expect to get employment above minimum wage.

NRA Patron
M
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
One of my points here is that these kids are given advice that worked in 1970. That's pre computer, 40 plus year old advice from their parents and the system.

Last edited by mjbgalt; 01/16/18.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by mathman
Good electricians, plumbers and air conditioning guys seem to do well.

I know people in these trades and they are doing well. I also know young guys working oil rigs making 6 figure doing real well.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
mjbgait, you are correct, of course. A lot of folks with a degree have not done well either.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Page 2 of 12 1 2 3 4 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

591 members (222Sako, 222ND, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 1_deuce, 1234, 69 invisible), 2,577 guests, and 1,186 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,474
Posts18,529,486
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.