Page 1 of 2 1 2
#12553450 01/15/18
B
blairvt Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Took these 2 out shooting today. I learned that my eyes arn't what they use to be. Both shot nice at 50 yds. When I tried 100 things got a little difficult.
[Linked Image]

GB1

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Send them my way.... I'll give them a try and get back to ya....

Lloyd McCarter and the Honky Tonk Revival
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Both are nice rigs!

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
A trick my Old Man tried when his eyes started to south was to turn the rear sight around backwards on the barrel, putting it 4" or so closer to the front sight. He claimed it helped a lot by shortening the distance to the front sight. I don't know, I was young enough to think it kind of goofy but now it rings true. I still don't know if I want to try it. I did move the rear sight on my .45 Vincent-style Ohio Rifle forward a foot by cutting a new dovetail in the barrel 10 years ago- it does help but I'm scheming to put a tang sight of some sort on it.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Put a tang sight on the Savage BB or send it to me. Beautiful rifles.

Mike

NRA Patron Member

If its "Made in America", its not setting on a container ship!
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I shot a coyote at 20 yards with the 250 BB that saddlering now owns and it was a major chore let me tell you.

LOL
B
blairvt Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Rookie here, whats a BB?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
BB == Barrel Band

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
My first thought was "250 shot BB gun". What can I say.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
The number of people I've hunted with is limited, but when I stop to think about it, I don't know anyone that actually hunts with a centerfire rifle using the original barrel-mounted leaf/notch/buckhorn sight. Savage, winchester, marlin, browning lever guns; Rem autos or pumps; and any bolt actions, whatever - if they use iron sights they have a receiver mounted peep, mostly Redfields or Williams.

Those that have left the original sight on are actually using scopes. Except do recall one cousin with an old tip-off (Weaver?) scope base on his Win 94, he may still have the barrel mounted open sight that gets used.

IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I know one guy, my main hunting pard, whose go-to rifle is a Marlin 336 .30-30 and who only uses its original factory sights. He gets his deer regularly. That speaks mainly to the kind of terrain we hunt in though.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I think open sights are under rated. When I was a kid that was all I used, albeit it was not on anything center fire. It took me some time getting used to peep sights, which I now have a fondness for. If you don't believe in the effectiveness of open sights then try shooting without anything.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Several years ago I had a now deceased friend that shot a Marlin 336 in 30-30 His name, not that it matters was Pat Rodrique and lived in the most northern town in NH., Pittsburg. BTW the Marlin was TOTALLY sightless. He was raised in Canada by the Abenaki Indians He never stood vertical when he hunted. Always bent over. I have never seen a hunter with his skill. We bought him a 1917 Enfield that was really nice. He always opted for the Marlin. No long shots. He always managed to get within bow shooting distance.

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Longbeardking
Several years ago I had a now deceased friend that shot a Marlin 336 in 30-30 His name, not that it matters was Pat Rodrique and lived in the most northern town in NH., Pittsburg. BTW the Marlin was TOTALLY sightless. He was raised in Canada by the Abenaki Indians He never stood vertical when he hunted. Always bent over. I have never seen a hunter with his skill. We bought him a 1917 Enfield that was really nice. He always opted for the Marlin. No long shots. He always managed to get within bow shooting distance.

There is a difference between hunting and shooting.
I have always enjoyed hunting. Probably because I was raised by hunters. Lucky I am.
Your friend Pat was a hunter.

"Every day above ground is a good day."
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Southern_WI_Savage
Originally Posted by Longbeardking

There is a difference between hunting and shooting.
I have always enjoyed hunting. Probably because I was raised by hunters. Lucky I am.
Your friend Pat was a hunter.

True, but still that is a good observation on a person's innate ability to shoot.

"Klaatu barada nikto"

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
There was an old guy in the camp next to ours whose only gun was a disreputable looking M94 .30-30. Pop and I were hanging out there one day and the conversation came around to how and at what distance we sighted in our deer rifles. He had a smirk on his face when he stated he had never in 50 years sighted in his rifle- a complete waste of good shells, so he said. I picked up the rifle and noticed the rear sight was catty-wampus and the front sight definitely bent. Being the smartass I was I said "howinhell can you possibly hit anything with this?" He said if I gave him a cartridge or two he would show me, but again he wasn't about to waste ammo to prove a point. I went back to camp and scrounged up a handful of .30-30 shells and bade him to show us. I set up a couple empty beer cans over by the woods and he said "no good, make them move." Well, we couldn't get sustained movement on the cans so we scrounged a couple of old wooden croquet balls from under the porch and I heaved one out across the yard. Bang! Bang! Two shots and splinters flew. Two shots at an improvised cardboard target proved the sights to be off about a foot and a half at 50 feet. The geezer would've been just as well off without any sights- as long as the target was moving I guess. Oh, and there was always meat hanging off his game pole.

Dad and I went back to camp with our tails between our legs.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Another time, at the local shooting range a week or so before deer season, a guy blew into the parking lot in a cloud of dust, threw open the Caddy's trunk lid, grabbed a Marlin .30-30 and a big folded piece of cardboard. He unfolded the cardboard that was obviously a refrigerator carton and set it up on the 25 yard pistol range. We all stopped shooting to watch the show. He rapped out four or five shots as fast as he could work the lever (not having loaded the gun first!), walked down and inspected his target, and announced to one and all "that's good enough for me!" He walked up to the Cadillac, popped the trunk, and literally threw the rifle in and slammed it shut, and left the parking lot in another cloud of dust. This all took place within five minutes or less. Dumbfounded, we looked at each other and went over to remove the guys target. Those bullet holes were scattered, literally, all over that refrigerator carton.

Some people have Brillo pads for brains.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
When I was in my teens a buddy of mine had a High Standard revolver that only he could hit anything with. When the rest of tried shooting it we all hit way to the left. We jokingly referred to it as Monty's "Low Standard." Since then I've lightened up and grown an appreciation for those who can shoot, and for High Standard handguns. But I still can't hit squat without using sights, even with my High Standard HD!.

"Klaatu barada nikto"

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Someone shot my Dad's 270 Mauser with Weaver 4X at a target and said "how do you hit anything with that". I don't remember his response. Probably didn't say anything but shrugged his shoulders. He didn't ever say much. I never knew him to miss a whitetail with any rifle. When he was a B-17 tail gunner he loaded his guns with straight armor piecing, no tracers. He got a Distinguished Flying Cross. When I asked what he got it for, he said for shooting down German fighters. When I asked him how many he shrugged his shoulders. I think he must have been the kind of natural shot this post is about. David

wyo1895
With Savage never say never.
For a copy of my book on engraved Savage lever actions rifles send a check for $80 to; David Royal, p.o. box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941. I will sign and inscribe the book for you.
[email protected]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by wyo1895
Someone shot my Dad's 270 Mauser with Weaver 4X at a target and said "how do you hit anything with that". I don't remember his response. Probably didn't say anything but shrugged his shoulders. He didn't ever say much. I never knew him to miss a whitetail with any rifle. When he was a B-17 tail gunner he loaded his guns with straight armor piecing, no tracers. He got a Distinguished Flying Cross. When I asked what he got it for, he said for shooting down German fighters. When I asked him how many he shrugged his shoulders. I think he must have been the kind of natural shot this post is about. David

Awesome story!

I was priveledged to be part of a team that restored (in our spare time) the B-17F at the Museum of Flight in Seattle known as "The Boeing Bee" back in the late 90's.
I absolutlely love WW2 Army Airforce history.
The B17F did not have forward facing .50 caliber guns thus vulnerable to frontal attacks by German fighters early in the war. They were phased out or missions changed (Pacific Theater, bombing shipping) by 1943.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Sportsdad60; 01/16/18.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

593 members (1minute, 160user, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 59 invisible), 2,801 guests, and 1,283 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,853
Posts18,478,484
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.