-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 12 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I graduated from high school in 1975.I didn't have the money nor did my parents have the money for it either.At that time of my life I thought I would be doing farm work all my life.Also during that time period,college wasn't that big of a deal as it is now.You where more judged by your knowledge,skills and abilities back then.After a few years on the farm,I got tired of looking at the same old dirt and decided on something different.Went to work at the electric co-op building and maintaining powerlines.Did that for a few years and moved on to work at a large 15 acre building machine shop running a radial drill press working on oil well valves.When the oil business went bust in the early 80's,they shut the plant down,so back to farm work I went.Big change from working for $10.50 an hour to $4.10 an hour,but you have to do what you have to do because it was hard to find a job back then.That was the time period many people started going to college because you couldn't hardly find a job.I was fortunate enough to get a job with the state fish and Wildlife department in 1983.I stayed with my job for 32.5yrs before I retired.They had a mandatory retirement.Believe me it was tough getting by and really could have used the extra money I was forced to contribute each month.Over the years I worked my way up the ladder through my hard works even though I didn't have a degree.Today I probably wouldn't get hired because I didn't have a degree.Times have changed.The degree doesn't guarantee anything,but it may give you an opportunity.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............

M
mjbgalt Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
Great thread guys. I love the ideas and varied ways to succeed. Pretty cool to learn more about you guys too.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd

Yeah, went the college, professional degree and academic advanced degree route but that was back in the ‘70’s when costs were not exorbitant like now and there was and is a market for my niche of skills. There also weren't the plethora of screwy majors that there are everywhere now that just aren’t marketable in the real world. I mean what is a kid with a major in East Indian Literature of the Middle Ages; Bagpiping; or Astrobiology; or The Beatles, Popular Music and Society going to do with 200k in debt upon graduation?

I think trade schools or specific training programs for hands-on repair or building something are very important and we have lost that beginning with dropping Shop classes and Home Economics from HS curriculum. Now HS’s will have some fuzzy-wuzzy classes that are a totoal waste of time IMO; For example, not many years ago, locally, a HS girl would carry a doll around her classes (for another class) for 7 hours presumably “instilling in her how much attention a real baby would require!!?”

Then there is the circle of money from the fed government to the university with the student on the hook for these tremendous and increasing amounts with as we can see some virtually worthless degrees.

My DR and his wife are Wake Forest Medical School Graduates, we talk about a lot of things and the cost of attending that particular
school came up. He told me that the student loans both he and his wife have are mountainous. He didn't come from money nor did his wife . He might be in his early 30's.

They could have tough road ahead as the golden years of physicians charging what they wanted — and getting it — are long, long over. It was also a time of abusive charging by some. Most medical providers are now salaried by big health care conglomerates, though there are still incentive scenarios also. But, by-and-large, incomes are much more fixed than they used to be, not to say there aren’t some very large incomes still out there. There are but generally not for the gate-keeping, primary care providers.

He is a primary care physician, she is a pharmacist

U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
A data driven response...

Google "College Measures". It is a research organization that helps state governments understand what degrees/credentials have the highest return on investment.

Focusing on their report for Florida, they identified 1300 degree programs in the state, and 488 produced graduates with median salaries above Florida's household incomes.

The credentials/degrees with the highest median earnings:
Elevator constructor/maint. (Apprentice) $106,900
Elec. and commun. engineering tech (Assoc. of Sci) $91,700
Millwright (Appr.) $82,500
Heavy Equip operator (Apprent.) $81,000
Fire prevention and safety tech. (Assoc. of Applied Sci) $76,400

Some degrees produced salaries less that $25,000: performing arts, cinematography, early childhood education, etc.

This report is also summarized in Money magazine, Jan /Feb 2108, which was my direct source of this information.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Lots of good jobs out there if someone is just willing to show up and work. I have a buddy who does nothing but post construction clean up at job sites and makes a killing. His biggest investments were a Bobcat and an old Chevy with a hydraulic dump bed. Also know lots of guys who work for city public works departments, prisons, etc who make good money, especially with overtime. A guy I know who retired from the California DOC is drawing a pension of $8500.00 a month. Might not be glamorous work, but it's a steady income.

IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
]

My DR and his wife are Wake Forest Medical School Graduates, we talk about a lot of things and the cost of attending that particular
school came up. He told me that the student loans both he and his wife have are mountainous. He didn't come from money nor did his wife . He might be in his early 30's.

He is a primary care physician, she is a pharmacist

I'll bet she makes more than he does.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I have an uncle who is in social work and counseling but under his own, private shingle in a notoriously blue state. He is in his seventies and still working while his state-employed colleagues retired 5-10 years ago or more with an over-value pension. This is common in Democratically-run, blue states and has been/is a sap on the nation’s producing more affordable products and keeping tax rates down.

Another good example is the federally run Post Office where a high school grad passes a civil service exam, puts in 30 years, and retires with an over-value pension that many, many others can’t match while working longer and harder.

By “over-value,” I mean commensurate with their value to society as a whole during their productive years. Examples abound. This is not decrying these people or those jobs but it’s an artificially inserted value at the expense of all others.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Stepkid #1.............full ride.
Stepkid #2.............service............out and doing very well
Kid #1....................didn't want to go (honors grad)
Kid #2....................full ride (honors grad)
Kid #3....................almost a full ride (honors grad)..........surgeries, not yet healed...........lost big chunk of scholarship (will be going local university whenever she heals up).

Funny, all the people at work.............can't afford to send their kids to school, their kids not good students............and they have 250K homes and new vehicles.
But the union hires these kids, right out of school................and some of them show up now and then, can't run a machine...........but can surf their smartphones and call a commiteeman.

Lazy and or stupid parents..............lazier and or more stupid kids.
Should fire them all.

Democrats ............so whatdya expect.

Last edited by hookeye; 01/17/18.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by hookeye
Kid #3....................almost a full ride (honors grad)..........surgeries, not yet healed...........lost big chunk of scholarship (will be going local university whenever she heals up).

Funny, all the people at work.............can't afford to send their kids to school, their kids not good students............and they have 250K homes and new vehicles.
But the union hires these kids, right out of school................and some of them show up now and then, can't run a machine...........but can surf their smartphones and call a commiteeman.

Should fire them all.

Our Society created this mess, equal blame to go around. College is rammed down everyones throat , WTF happened trade schools or apprentice programs?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A very good read for the last hour as I am more than a little concerned about my youngest. I got a degree because it was either the UW or Vietnam. We have a a lot of manufacturing in our area and they were always looking for customer service people. Being personable and conscientious gets you trained very well on the inside, but it doesn't take long to realize that the guys willing to travel for the company in outside sales were the ones on the gravy train. I was training those guys and they were knocking down 3x my salary. I couldn't beat them so I joined them and realized that lots of the plants that I was calling on had jobs that they weren't getting qualified applicants for. Bottom line, industrial sales (not retail) pays really well for the least amount of education. Then when you are good at your job, be willing to move and use what you've learned to get an even better paying job.

The population is aging and there is more demand for people in the medical field. My first wife worked at a local hospital and said that if she had to do it all over again a two year degree as an x-ray tech makes really good money and there are not enough of them. A friend of mine bought a Lincoln welder and his son got some experience with it and now does very well welding and is always in demand. I went fishing with a guy who is the produce manager at a regional successful smaller grocery chain with profit sharing and he has big bucks in the bank, so a lot of it is getting started with a good company. Real estate for someone willing to work hard looks pretty lucrative. The wife's brother and sister-in-law relocated to the Dakota's at the start of the oil boom with a brokers licence and made seven numbers out there. They retired and have a MT. ranch now.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
IC B3

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by Triggernosis
The downside of focusing solely on a hands-on trade job like welding, plumbing, auto repair, hair-cutting...the list is endless. ...is what happens when a person can no longer physically do it. Things such as arthritis or an injury can put some of those careers at a dead stop. If you choose one of the trade fields, you'd better be thinking of tansitioning to using your MIND rather than your hands as soon as you can. Maybe you'll RUN a plumbing business but not be crawling under a house making repairs....or OWN a welding shop where you negotiate sales and keep your employees busy running the torch.

This is very true! There is a reason than most Linemen don't work until full retirement age. A self employed craftsman should start saving early for his retirement an future, and for those "rainy days". Really, so should everyone. My Wife and I have always carried some debt, but very little. Its hard to not pay cash for a car when you can. But it makes no sense to use money making between 4 an 20% when you can finance for less than 3%.

Another posted replied about how interesting this thread was and I agree.

lightman
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Originally Posted by mjbgalt
That's the catch...how many of those jobs are there and how does a kid find one

A job where you work with your hands and back, or an office job?

It has been shown that kids today want to start at the top.....not work up to it.
And here I consider an office job a demotion... phug the desk, i flat hate desks and paperwork and dealing with people. Though its what I do.. maybe why I hate it... LOL. I"d rather be out in the field but I made the mistake....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The best parts of my careers were when I was working with my hands for myself as a contractor. Made more money later working for the local government but it involved a lot more stress and little satisfaction. A guy who is committed to learning and doing his very best can still do well in construction. Someone on the job site still needs to speak English, and he is usually the guy in charge.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
My back and arms hurt all the time from work.
Pay is OK, insurance tolerable.
Not fun at age 54.........and summer really blows.
Rather use my brain. But that aint the gig.

Coworker lost a finger yesterday.
Had one killed a couple yrs back.

Dangerous place.

Of course I'm more likely to get wiped out by some millennial texting and driving on the road outside the plant.

Most of the folks in my plant on pain meds/crippled.Most smoke and drink heavy too. Redneck workforce...........burning candle at both ends.
Had to take physical to get in...........doc couldn't believe how good shape i was in.

Now they hire morbidly obese kids.

Guess that physical thing doesn't apply.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My buddy is 46 years old, co-owns a stainless steel fabrication shop, does a lot of sanitary piping in food plants. He said he realized he was too old to be a 'worker' a few years ago when he made the prettiest bead around a 2" stainless pipe. Raised his hood and saw he missed the joint by 1/4" all the way around. He has a couple dozen guys working for him now, but he turned in his hood and is an estimator and designer in their shop now.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I am 64 and going back to school on the G.I. Bill. Last night I got to spend 4 hours on an engine lathe. The last time I did that was in high school. The program is CNC machine operator. We had 15 slots for the class and we have 7 people in it. My counselor said they have a waiting list of companies that want CNC operators. 8 slots are going to waste for a guaranteed job at the end of the 2 semesters.

I won't be in the job market for long since I want to retire at 66 but I find it hard to believe those 8 slots went un filled. It's just 2 semesters to get someone in the door at a skilled job. Unbelievable.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by hookeye

Should fire them all.

congrats

you and the wife did well

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
AC, Plumbing, and Electrical are good trades to do side work- full time business. Sky is the limit.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My relatives worth more than $5M are invariant with respect to 4 year degrees.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Hard to say.I started out with a 2year associated degree and rose to a project manager making a good wage.Good work ethic put me there rather than the education which is darn hard to find in today younger generation.

My grandson has $250K in student loans and is an optomitrist .He had his own office, but got a job with the VA. They give him a chunk of money each year to help pay off his loan and in ten years they will forgive what left. He is ahard worker and has a good head on his shoulders.His sister,my grand daughter went to college and majored in communications, but only because she wanted to be on the majorette drill team.. She does not have as big a loan,but could not get a job.She went back to school to get her masters,and now has a job that pays about $35K a year.She still hasn't figured it out yet

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Page 8 of 12 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

102 members (7887mm08, 35, 69sportfury, AdventureBound, 6mmCreedmoor, 10 invisible), 1,491 guests, and 895 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,118
Posts18,483,515
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.