Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by curdog4570
Boggy Creek Ranger claimed all you had to do to season a cast iron skillet was to make cornbread in it a couple times before cooking anything else in it.

He’s right.

Funny, I've had similar luck cooking popcorn in corn oil as a fast way to re-season a pan. That was going to be my cast iron secret tip.

Boggy Creek Ranger: Where are you?

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
GB1

V
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
I usually use mine to just fry eggs, I use olive oil. If I use it to fry fatty meats like bacon or fattier hamburger, no problem. The problem is lean meats. However if brown porkchops then cover them and bake in the oven, well it doesn't get much better then that. (Add water while baking)

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Self clean cycle for 2 hours. Then crisco coat.
Clean with bacon grease and coarse sea salt.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
You're overthinking it.....................use with oil or grease; when done wipe it out with paper towel to remove excess, add water, heat on burner, lightly scrape any remaining residue with spatula, rinse, wipe & put away until you need it again.

MM

That's the way that my wife cleans ours. She fusses at me all the time about me using the iron skillets, and not cleaning them right. In order for an iron skillet to work the way it's supposed to, they have to be took care of properly.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
As many expert opinions as there are experts. There are multiple ways to get an iron skillet seasoned, and some actually work.

Sam......

IC B2

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
If you want to clean the old coating off burn it off in a grill or fire. then wipe it out with oiled paper towels till the rust is gone. To get a good slick black coating quickly do some deep frying in it. When I cook in mine I wash it. Wipe it dry then heat it up on the stove and wipe it good with an oiled or greased paper towel. I use mine all the time to cook.Most of mine is 25 years old and my wife has some that belonged to her grandmother. The 60 year old pans are smoother than what they sell now.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I have several pieces of Lodge cookware that I have purchased over the past 5 - 10 years. They were all ok new but work really well now that I have learned to care for them properly. My tips:

1. Don't wash off your seasoning. I have found the best way to clean my Lodge pans is to use hot water and the $7 brush that Lodge sells. The brush is really good at removing residue without removing the seasoning.

Lodge Brush

If you have stuck or burned on residue use one of these plastic scrapers, no metal.

Lodge Scraper

2. Re-season with Crisco after each use. Smear a thin layer of Crisco over the clean pan and put on medium high heat for a few minutes.

3. Cook on low to medium heat only.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
My stovetop.

[Linked Image]

Little pan on top left on top of dutch oven is my cornbread pan for wifey and I. That cheap red enamel pot is my bean pot and also use it for acidic stuff like tomato base food. Heck everything Ive read here will work!

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My Mother would get very upset if you used Her cornbread skillet for anything other than cornbread. She had other skillets for frying the rest of the meals. My wife has that skillet and feels the same way about it. I bought a new 8" skillet to use for cornbread a while back, and the wife seasoned it really quick, but I was not part of that process. Moms cornbread skillet was bigger, and since my Wife can't eat cornbread any more, and I don't need to eat as much as I do, a smaller skillet was in order. On and related note, day old cornbread wrapped in a paper towel and microwaved for a few seconds is pretty damn good. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Maybe just me but I've not had good luck with Lodge stuff. Find an old classic (i.e. Griswold or Erie brand) at a yard sale or flea market if you want the real deal.

IC B3

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Miles!
Wifey and I can get two days worth of cornbread out of that little pan! All we need. I made big pot of beans yesterday. And day before I baked us a pair of game hens in that dutch oven! Monday I cooked us an "eintopf" in it. Kinda German version of sherperd's pie.

Founder

WS

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Grandson James wants a cast skillet for collage. I'm think on buying him a carbon steel skillet. It would heat faster.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I love my Lodge skillets. They slick up pretty quick, even after a scrubbing with soap.

Usually after use they get rinsed out with hot water then wiped out and put on a burner. I’ll spray it with canola oil when dry and let it get hot on the stove for a few minutes.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by ol_mike
Bought Lodge deep skillet and shallow skillet that can be a lid/top .

It was already lightly seasoned , used per directions and they wouldn't get slick black like my Grannys old pans .

Did some research - more than one innerwebber expert said grind off old seasoning - went to lowes depot got grinding wheel - ground down inside to bare metal and smooth seasoned it - put in oven per directions - came out -ok- .
Used it cleaned it according to directions , starts getting black/well seasoned then seasoning peels here and there . Do more research ''always use solid'' like lard they mean -had been using olive oil .
Used crisco lard to season the damn thing 2-3 times a week --fighting it -- I bought the things to cut down on dishwashing -why am I fighting these skillets .

Not heating it up too hot or too fast . not getting them wet - no soap of coarse .

I have them in the oven right now on 375* waiting for the hour to pass - any help/advise to keep me from turning them into steel shooting plates . smile

I discovered cast iron about ten years ago when I inherited my grandmother's skillet. I use them every day to make my breakfast, and the occasional steak.

Rule #1: never use soap. To start off with a clean one, season it. I use bacon fat. To start with, you want three good hard layered coats of polymerized fat (that's a fancy word for season). First cover it with a light coat all over. Put in the oven at 350 for an hour. Repeat, repeat.

Now it's simple. After you cook (use plenty of butter when cooking with them), clean it only with hot water and a brush. Only brush it in the hot water enough to get food off. Rinse with warm water. Wipe dry. Recoat with a little bacon fat (only on the inside cooking surface from now on). Put on the stove set to high heat long enough to cause it to smoke a little (It usually takes two or three minutes before it starts to smoke). Remove from heat soon after you see smoke (the smoking means that you've polymerized a layer of fat to the surface). Let it smoke too long, however, and you will burn off the season, which isn't good (You will need to do it over again if you do). Now it's ready to use again. Repeat this pattern every time.

[Linked Image from images7.memedroid.com]
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Do this ..^^^^, but use flaxseed oil. MUCH better results.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

I've moved to cast iron and I really like using it. One thing that I can not make correctly is scrambled eggs. They don't stick bad but they do stick. I use a good amount of bacon grease in the pan when making them but I must be doing something wrong.

Any tips?

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Bearcat74

I've moved to cast iron and I really like using it. One thing that I can not make correctly is scrambled eggs. They don't stick bad but they do stick. I use a good amount of bacon grease in the pan when making them but I must be doing something wrong.

Any tips?

Yes, use butter instead of bacon grease, and use a good bit of it. Don't overhead the skillet before you put the eggs in. Let the eggs sit in the skillet till half cooked before you mix it up. Soon as you start mixing it up, start to move toward the plate, because it will cook fast after this.

[Linked Image from images7.memedroid.com]
T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by EdM
Bacon fat in ours whenever we leave the place.

[Linked Image]

Nothin' like a wood fired stove and cast iron cookware! We use bacon fat or Crisco to season ours.

My cabin kitchen
[Linked Image]

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
That's awesome Tom!!!!

Founder

WS

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
That kitchen is beyond cool.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

189 members (12344mag, 3333vl, 1eyedmule, 10Glocks, 160user, 2UP, 16 invisible), 1,623 guests, and 984 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,779
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.