Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That does look slick.

Let us know how the scope works once you get to shooting.

GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Looks much cleaner, S&K actually machined a base to not hang over the rear bridge for my FN Sako.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Heck of a nice looking setup. Thanks for sharing, and thanks for the correspondence.

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Hiaring8
Because the last thing I would ever want to do is "upset the campfire crowd" I pulled my scope today and remounted in the Extended Front, Low talley's that I had. It actually probably was the best solution as it saved me 5 oz (8# 8.1oz) and got the bases out of the ejection port.

However, the NF scope is short, and the action is very long and the scope sets just at an area where I had to dremel a bit of material out of the outside lips of both bases to prevent the power ring and objective bell from touching. But no big deal, 5 minutes of dremeling, little black touchup marker, and we are good to go - not by much - but there is clearance on both ends.

Something to keep in mind for anyone with future plans on this scope (Very short tube) or a LAW (3.6" long action).

[Linked Image]

Functionally, those Burris rings were great, they just looked a little funny with the rear ring hanging into the ejection port a bit. A Dremel could have fixed that up, but the Talley's look good too. Not that looks matter at all to me. Hopefully the Talley's hold up as well as the Burris XTR's would have.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Looks good, for those wanting an elevation turret some of the other SHV models like the 4-14x50 F1 have a capped windage and an exposed elevation turret w/zero stop.

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Looks great just wish these had a little more tube length for mounting on long action rifles.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by scotts94_z28
Looks great just wish these had a little more tube length for mounting on long action rifles.

Yep,pretty much need a rail on long actions for 90% of scopes anyway.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Rail and LW Warne Mountain Techs work well on my Tikka. Absolutely love the scope, tracks exactly as it should.

NF on Tikka

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What's the verdict on that NF SHV 3-10X42 forceplex? I'm looking hard at the scope.

PASS IT ON!
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by C_ROY
What's the verdict on that NF SHV 3-10X42 forceplex? I'm looking hard at the scope.

My final verdict is AWESOME PURCHASE, AWESOME SCOPE. I took it out on my 280 ackley and shot it along with another rifle that I put my bad VX3i on - mainly to see side by side differences in the reticle and glass quality (already new the Leupold wasn't tracking right so only cared about optics)

Side by side - to my eye, the Forceplex and Leupold plex is identical. No distinguishable differences. However, the NF glass is better. Better is very subjective and we aren't talking leaps and bounds better - maybe 5-10%???. I won't say that is was any brighter than the Leupold, just clearer - more definitive. Not sure if that cause it has parallax adjustment and leupold doesn't but the image "popped" through the NF scope. (The best way to put it for me, is when I look through a high end pair of binoculars, and then I look through my Leica HD'S, no matter how good the other binos are, my Leica's just see to pop to my eye - this NF was the same way)

I shot both at 10x to be fair and eye relief wise, the NF was great - plenty of eye relief. I think the Leupold is rated at 3.6" at 10x and I would say the NF felt to have at least that much if not a touch more. No issues with the eye box at all with either scope at 10x.

Of course as far as tracking - the NF was dead nutz on. I didn't do any box test or anything like that but here is what I did do. It took 3 shots and I was on paper and zero'd for 100.I moved the the scope up 8 clicks and shot two shots. Both touching right at 2" high. I moved it up 8 more clicks and shot 1 shot - 4" high as should be. I then moved it down 11 clicks to site in for 1.25" high to match my load data. 3 shot group right were it was suppose to be. Now I realize this isn't a hardcore test and I fully plan to get out this month and dial up and down and bang some long range steel - but so far I am very happy.

Scope is built like a tank and to my mind is about as close to a perfect general hunting scope as you can get. For the 280 ackley it sets on, my drop data gives me hold on deer ability out to 375 yards"ish" anything past that, I will dial for, so I have a scope that is rock solid as a duplex - set and forget scope with great optics - that is also completely reliable and able to dial long range as needed.

The only "issue" i can foresee is not having any reticle markings to help with wind holds at long range - but if your shooting at deer/elk at a long enough distance for wind holds to really effect your shot, I will just need to dial for wind.

Buy this scope/reticle with confidence. I was really hung up on the NXS 2.5-10X42 (which I am sure is amazing) but for my money - this SHV is great. The minute they add illumiation, I will be purchasing a MOAR reticle version as well.

IC B3

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by C_ROY

My final verdict is AWESOME PURCHASE, AWESOME SCOPE. I took it out on my 280 ackley and shot it along with another rifle that I put my bad VX3i on - mainly to see side by side differences in the reticle and glass quality (already new the Leupold wasn't tracking right so only cared about optics)

Side by side - to my eye, the Forceplex and Leupold plex is identical. No distinguishable differences. However, the NF glass is better. Better is very subjective and we aren't talking leaps and bounds better - maybe 5-10%???. I won't say that is was any brighter than the Leupold, just clearer - more definitive. Not sure if that cause it has parallax adjustment and leupold doesn't but the image "popped" through the NF scope. (The best way to put it for me, is when I look through a high end pair of binoculars, and then I look through my Leica HD'S, no matter how good the other binos are, my Leica's just see to pop to my eye - this NF was the same way)

I shot both at 10x to be fair and eye relief wise, the NF was great - plenty of eye relief. I think the Leupold is rated at 3.6" at 10x and I would say the NF felt to have at least that much if not a touch more. No issues with the eye box at all with either scope at 10x.

Of course as far as tracking - the NF was dead nutz on. I didn't do any box test or anything like that but here is what I did do. It took 3 shots and I was on paper and zero'd for 100.I moved the the scope up 8 clicks and shot two shots. Both touching right at 2" high. I moved it up 8 more clicks and shot 1 shot - 4" high as should be. I then moved it down 11 clicks to site in for 1.25" high to match my load data. 3 shot group right were it was suppose to be. Now I realize this isn't a hardcore test and I fully plan to get out this month and dial up and down and bang some long range steel - but so far I am very happy.

Scope is built like a tank and to my mind is about as close to a perfect general hunting scope as you can get. For the 280 ackley it sets on, my drop data gives me hold on deer ability out to 375 yards"ish" anything past that, I will dial for, so I have a scope that is rock solid as a duplex - set and forget scope with great optics - that is also completely reliable and able to dial long range as needed.

The only "issue" i can foresee is not having any reticle markings to help with wind holds at long range - but if your shooting at deer/elk at a long enough distance for wind holds to really effect your shot, I will just need to dial for wind.

Buy this scope/reticle with confidence. I was really hung up on the NXS 2.5-10X42 (which I am sure is amazing) but for my money - this SHV is great. The minute they add illumiation, I will be purchasing a MOAR reticle version as well.

How would you rate the low light performance? There has been some discussion of a finicky parallax adjustment on the 2.5-10 NXS. I don't suppose you had any issues with the SHV since you don't mention any.

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
I did my testing at around 2pm on a cloudy overcast day. So no real test of lowlight or how bright it was at final light. As mentioned, very similar to the VX3I. I can take a break from the SB this afternoon and put the scope up at last light at some targets here are the house and see if I can tell a difference between it and the Leupold.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I did my testing at around 2pm on a cloudy overcast day. So no real test of lowlight or how bright it was at final light. As mentioned, very similar to the VX3I. I can take a break from the SB this afternoon and put the scope up at last light at some targets here are the house and see if I can tell a difference between it and the Leupold.

No hurry or anything ,but I would be interested whenever you get a chance.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for the analysis on your thoughts. I think this is exactly what I am looking for in a scope. I am 98% a "set it & forget it" guy. But If I wanted to dial I could with confidence.

PASS IT ON!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
JB used one of those (with the IHR) on the Barrett Fieldcraft he tested. If I can swing it, that's what's going on mine when it lands, with the Forceplex, of course.

Nice rig.

What fresh Hell is this?
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I can definitely dig that entire set-up..... one question though....

What’s with the spreadsheet taped to the stock?

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Originally Posted by Dogshooter
I can definitely dig that entire set-up..... one question though....

What’s with the spreadsheet taped to the stock?

grin

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Nice rig.

HMM-161, HMM-364
Semper Fi Brothers
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

232 members (222ND, 12344mag, 270wsmnutt, 44mc, 160user, 1936M71, 23 invisible), 2,518 guests, and 1,046 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,646
Posts18,533,755
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.