Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Son_of_the_Gael
I used to...because LH ones used to be so hard to find.

But no more.

same thing for me but now if i can't find what i want i have it built

DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR

I LOVE MY COUNTRY IT'S THE GOV'T I FEAR
GB1

O
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by tbear99
Originally Posted by Son_of_the_Gael
I used to...because LH ones used to be so hard to find.

But no more.

same thing for me but now if i can't find what i want i have it built

This.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
All my handguns are RH, although there are those who think the Colt SAA was designed to be LH.
All my 22's are RH as are a few shotguns.
But my go to guns, (Trap, and main hunting rifles ) are LH

"The older I get, the better I was"
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by tmitch
Yes, because they didn't make the old rifles I'm intrigued with in left hand.............Pre-64 Winnies, Mannlicher-Schoenauers, Krags, '03 Spingfields, etc. etc. I have a pretty decent battery of LH rifles now to cover any hunting situation. Old guns are just more interesting to me at this point though

I agree, and to those that say a right hand bolt isn't as fast, must not have practiced/shot very much... I grew up using right handed bolts and well, lets just say I'm not slow at running the bolt... whistle

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
V
verns Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
V
My only hold out is a nice Marlin tube feed 22 Mag .I love it more than my Savage clip LH 22 Mag .

“To account nothing of one's self, and to think always kindly and highly of others, this is great and perfect wisdom.”
― Thomas à Kempis, The Imitation of Christ
IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
"If shooting from a rest" RH action operation is more efficient for a lefty since the right hand isn't doing anything anyway and the left hand can stay where it is. Do it a hundred times in an hour and it becomes evident.

That is why right handed BR shooters often use LH actions and ports. As a lefty I by far prefer a RH action when shooting from a rest.

When standing a LH action is most efficient since the right hand is busy holding up the rifle. Otherwise you have to drop it from the shoulder to cycle it...Tom

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Afraid so, all my rifles and shotguns are right hand except for a Stag AR. I am about ready to try a left hand bolt action hunting rifle, it has to be stainless. .308 or 280 AI Guys?

NEVER GIVE UP
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by jbmi
All my handguns are RH, although there are those who think the Colt SAA was designed to be LH.
All my 22's are RH as are a few shotguns.
But my go to guns, (Trap, and main hunting rifles ) are LH

I have a Bill Grover Improved No.5 that is Right Hand. Loading gate and ejector rod housing are on the left side.

Imagine a corporate oligarchy so effective, so advanced and fine tuned that its citizens still call it a democracy.

R
RGK Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
I have several lefty bolt guns, but this is my favorite...a '55 standard grade .30-06 M70. Never felt handicapped shooting it.
Bob

[Linked Image]

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by RGK
I have several lefty bolt guns, but this is my favorite...a '55 standard grade .30-06 M70. Never felt handicapped shooting it.
Bob
[Linked Image]

The old saying "A .30-06 is never a bad choice..." can be extended to say "A pre-64 M70 chambered for .30-06 is never a bad choice..." Even for a Left Hander... smile

Nice rifle !

IC B3

R
RGK Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Orion2000
The old saying "A .30-06 is never a bad choice..." can be extended to say "A pre-64 M70 chambered for .30-06 is never a bad choice..." Even for a Left Hander... smile

Nice rifle !

Thanks!
Bob

[Linked Image]

Last edited by RGK; 01/27/18.
U
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
U
Originally Posted by RGK
Bob
[Linked Image]

Nice rifle !

Of course it is. It's backwards. Do you drive your truck in reverse everywhere, too? It may be a finely polished turd, but if you want to run it correctly, it is still a turd.

More to the point, if over 10% of the market had got their backsides off their shoulders, some of those pre-64s would have been made correctly. But, no. People would rather show pictures of themselves with someone else's hot girlfriend when they should be out getting their own.

Last edited by urbaneruralite; 01/27/18.

Living in a world of G17s and 700s, wishing for P7s and 202s
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Being a bit of a minimalist I don't really need another rifle....not that most of us buy because we"need", but been thinking that it's worth learning to shoot RH just to max the use of that one worthwhile purchase,so many great RH available. Escaping gasses, weakening left eye, prone shooting benefits .... Having at least one good RH really makes sense.

Surely it's gonna take no more than a year being proficient in the other side? I shave left and right with a cut throat which took only a few months to master plus do a lot of other things RH, how about a long range prone hunter for the other side? How awesome would that be .... Whole new twist on what we enjoy so much. imagine that first buck shot from the right shoulder.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by urbaneruralite
Originally Posted by RGK
Bob
[Linked Image]

Nice rifle !

Of course it is. It's backwards. Do you drive your truck in reverse everywhere, too? It may be a finely polished turd, but if you want to run it correctly, it is still a turd.

More to the point, if over 10% of the market had got their backsides off their shoulders, some of those pre-64s would have been made correctly. But, no. People would rather show pictures of themselves with someone else's hot girlfriend when they should be out getting their own.

Well, aren't you a ray of sunshine.... Rest assured, I have more than enough left hand "girl friends" for several life times. However, just because I prefer red heads does not mean that I do not appreciate an attractive brunette when one passes by...

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I have shot right handed rifles so long I couldn't figure out a left hand Remington 700 in 22-250 for coyote hunting as I was using my right hand to reach over the bolt to cycle it........

I use my left hand to hold the pistol grip and mt right hand to cycle the bolt, or use a lever action. I guess I'm too old to change!

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Just semi autos

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by urbaneruralite

Kinda like cars are made to steer with the left hand while you change gears or do anything else with the right hand. That's backwards if you're left brained. I imagine having to drive where they have them made righthanded would be obnoxious for us.

Cars are made with the gear stick linked to the transmission in the most logical location. That is to the right of the driver here and to the left of the driver in many British empire countries. Handedness is a non issue. I've driven manual transmissions extensively both here and in England. There's really no learning curve to it. Now, if they switched the go pedal from right to left, that would be a problem.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

634 members (160user, 10ring1, 12344mag, 117LBS, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 68 invisible), 2,713 guests, and 1,269 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,736
Posts18,495,014
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.