Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
V
verns Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
V
There have been a few times that I was tempted ----then I said BS this does not make sense . I have a very screwed up right hand and fingers ,so I am even more left handed than most .

“To account nothing of one's self, and to think always kindly and highly of others, this is great and perfect wisdom.”
― Thomas à Kempis, The Imitation of Christ
GB1

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Not any more.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I used to...because LH ones used to be so hard to find.

But no more.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nope..

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
To much danger of eye injury, I don,t like shooting them. Gas relief on a RH rifle is right in line with a LHanders
face.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
LH or ambidextrous for me, only have one RH gun that I keep as a loaner and it's a Lee Enfield 303 British. If I didn't have that one I might get kicked out of the country wink

Gerry.
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Last two I bought where RH

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I've been using RH rifles for so long that LH rifles are still taking some getting used to. I told myself that I need to use LH if the option is available. However, I have some RH rifles that I'll never get rid of. I'd still buy a RH rifle if the I saw something that tickled my fancy.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Started out that way when young and left-handed offerings were scant and largely white bread; though the offerings are a little more abundant now, they still are somewhat white bread. But it is much better.

I have been tempted a time or two to wrongly go right when I’ve seen something attractive or unusual and especially when you consider resale of a starboard as opposed to a port side.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I don't own and haven't bought a RH bolt action in about 20 years, no reason to. The only one I would be tempted to buy would be a 788 in .222 Rem.

The critters have to win every time, I only have to win once. www.swanspointoutfitters.com
www.lazybar-t.com outfitters
65-43-22-5
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
no

though there are some tempting....

Howas, Bergara and Barrett Fieldline

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Not anymore yet so often so tempting. I know if I did buy a right-handed rifle the gun would in up in the classifieds eventually.

Last edited by doctor_Encore; 01/19/18.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
My parents bought me RH guns when I was young. I always resented that some. I adapted, and I can shoot a RH bolt gun just fine, but LH guns are faster and more intuitive for follow-ups, and the safety issue is prominent in my mind. So I have no desire for future RH guns.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Yes, because they didn't make the old rifles I'm intrigued with in left hand.............Pre-64 Winnies, Mannlicher-Schoenauers, Krags, '03 Spingfields, etc. etc. I have a pretty decent battery of LH rifles now to cover any hunting situation. Old guns are just more interesting to me at this point though

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
yep, have bought RH guns myself, others have done so for me. in fact i've never owned a purely LH gun. do have single shot TC contenders, and BAR's and 742. technically they're right handed.

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Depends on what you mean. The chamber selection on an O/U goes down for the bottom barrel and up for the top. Pushing the lever is easier than pulling to me. Was the person who developed these things LH?

I figure when I throw a fourth shell into the open chamber of an auto shotgun, and bump the bolt release just before I kill another duck, I'm doing it the way it works best. It's just not as fast and easy with the port is on the left side.

Kinda like cars are made to steer with the left hand while you change gears or do anything else with the right hand. That's backwards if you're left brained. I imagine having to drive where they have them made righthanded would be obnoxious for us.

I do appreciate rights getting things backwards so often. On things that need to be ambi or at least lefty friendly, I see no point in buying something that work work correctly. Why buy a glock when you can get a PPQ Classic? Everybody has two hands. Why is anyone practicing weak side with a pistol that isn't ambi?

But to answer the original questin, yes there are dumbasses in every group who will do things backwards no matter what. (See attachment for visual depiction.)

Attached Images
school-for-the-gifted.jpg (20.86 KB, 15 downloads)

Living in a world of G17s and 700s, wishing for P7s and 202s
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Interesting rifles that are not offered in LH: Pre-64 Win M70's, Kimber Ascent, Ruger African .275 Rigby, Things to tinker with and eventually give to the grand kids (zero left handers...). Or, flip 'em for a different shiny object...

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
I had a good bud that had about 125 long guns.. I would say half were right handed, he had some left hand custom stocks put on right handed rifles..

Molon Labe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sometimes, depends on the gun, what it will be used for, and the current situation

Not to long ago I sold a Browning 22 Hornet LH and bought a RH CZ 22 Hornet.
Several things played into that.
I never warmed to the Browning's sand blasted type of blue finish, and the stock was very plain Jane for walnut, but worst was the magazine set up. Perhaps, no for sure, the worst I ever used.
I sold it for more than double what I paid, and got the CZ used for a very good price, almost half the cost of a new gun.
I have other CZ's, and knew I would like the rifle, shinny bluing, set trigger, and a nice walnut stock
A 22 Hornet will not need to be cycled quickly as a big game rifle might need to be, so right handed is fine for this rifle, besides I grew up shooting RH guns left handed.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I have one RH, it's a really nice shooting rifle, but the RH bolt is just plain annoying. I really wanted this Predator 223 so I compromised. A few months later Ruger came out with the American 223 in LH. My timing was bad.

[Linked Image]

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

92 members (44automag, 10gaugemag, 308xray, 300_savage, 41rem, 808outdoors, 12 invisible), 1,526 guests, and 908 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,723
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.