Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I’m getting ready to get mine out, I have a half dozen I need to sight in. I wouldn’t trade for mine. It sure is a shoulder saver!!

GB1

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

Due to the gun recoil movement being different in the sled than on your shoulder the POI will definitely change.

When I was shooting high power moving the sling from under my front hand to on top of my hand changes the POI by inches at 500 yards...

Until you have those types of experience to know that the pressure you put on each contact point, and how each contact point reacts during recoil under controlled conditions it’s hard to realize just how much something like that changes POI, but I can assure you it does.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I use mine to get close, then a rest and 💼 bags

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I still don’t get it...it’s literally only 2-3shots to get it close...why even bother with it if going to rest and bags after that.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I usually have at least 5 or 6 when I go, I have a gay Sako 270, two 6.5 Creedmoor’s, and a 7mm ultra mag waiting to be sighted in now. Probably a 30-06 too before it warms up. It’s faster and if you have that many it helps on an old shoulder.

I used to turn my nose up at the idea of using one until I tried one.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I had one and used one for a couple years....then I realized about point of impact shifts and also got scopes that allow for much quicker sight ins than 5-6 shots with working reticle. As such I hadn’t used my lead sled in 4+ years or so and finally gave it away. But I should have saved the person I gave it to the trouble and just threw it away.

It’s not like I have never used one. Aside from the point of impact shifts, it being rough on the rifles (yes I never ran mine with weight on it), it also changes how you get behind the gun, lop is different and cheekweld is different, all for 2-3 shots then off to bipod and rear bag? Nah I will just get behind the gun like I normally do and work up loads. Even my sub 5 pound 338-06 (before optics) isn’t that bad off a bipod and rear bag of you loaf the bipod some and marry up to the rifle.

But if it works for you than go for it.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I know it's not fair, but when I'm at the range and I see a lead sled come out I can't help but think "Oh boy, here we go". Sort of the same feeling as when a guest shows up at the camp with a Remington Jammaster.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I have one and use it often. I don't put any weight in mine. It's the best way for me to hold the rifle and then easy to dial the scope in also. I do shoot different positions without the sled also. I'm not carrying that thing into the woods, HA

USE ENOUGH GUN (Ruark) and YOU CAN'T EVER HAVE TOO MANY (me)
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by alaska_lanche
I had one and used one for a couple years....then I realized about point of impact shifts and also got scopes that allow for much quicker sight ins than 5-6 shots with working reticle. As such I hadn’t used my lead sled in 4+ years or so and finally gave it away. But I should have saved the person I gave it to the trouble and just threw it away.

It’s not like I have never used one. Aside from the point of impact shifts, it being rough on the rifles (yes I never ran mine with weight on it), it also changes how you get behind the gun, lop is different and cheekweld is different, all for 2-3 shots then off to bipod and rear bag? Nah I will just get behind the gun like I normally do and work up loads. Even my sub 5 pound 338-06 (before optics) isn’t that bad off a bipod and rear bag of you loaf the bipod some and marry up to the rifle.

But if it works for you than go for it.

I’ve used them since before lead sleds came out, benchmaster I believe, and still have the original lead sled on my shooting bench behind my shop. I have never experienced what others have said, I’d hate to quote how many rifles have been shot at my place, mine, pards, neighbors etc. never been a problem. Guess we’re lucky.

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Never said it would break anything just saying there is a definite point of impact shift if using it versus not. Whether it’s because it’s impossible to get behind like as you would as you would actually shoot the rifle I don’t know. All I know is it didn’t shoot the same. I agree I never broke a rifle in one either. If it floats your boat and the recoil of the rifle you are shooting is too large to shoot it without then I guess the point of impact shift is worth it.

Nothing wrong with that. Just not for me glad to get mine out of the garage and not tripping over it anymore.

IC B3

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Saw this.

Don't usually shoot more than 200 yds.

Do stretch to 300 or 400 on occcasion!

so FWIW

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

don't recall more than a skosh worth of difference in the POA vs. the POI

ya!

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Fuggin' thing bent a hump in the buttstock off the top rifle, Gee

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by huntsman22

schitt happens!

[Linked Image]

dinks get perforated

[Linked Image]

consequently

[Linked Image]

sometimes a better scope is the ticket!

ya!

GWB

Last edited by geedubya; 01/27/18.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Same results for me gee dub ya....

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The only time I ever used one was after I had shoulder surgery. I borrowed one then to check the zero on my deer rifles. If I was shooting something that had a lot of recoil, I'm sure it would help. I use a Caldwell Rock front rest, and 2 sandbags for the rear. Has always worked good for me.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Over the years I have reloaded over 80 different chamberings, most being for rifles. I have done a considerable amount of load development shooting different combos of powder, load densities using different bullets. I typically do this over a chronograph and choose the load with the accuracy/velocity co-effecient that most pleases me at that time. For years I would develop loads using a different combo/bullet than the year previoius. I used to suffer from magnumitis.

I'm 5' 8" and 190 lbs. I shoot an un-braked 300 Weatherby or a 375 H & H or a 45-70, say 10 rounds each (three three shot groups, or two five shot groups) in a single session I tend to develop a flinch not to mention my shoulder being turned to hamburger.

You can do a test. Have someone accompany you and after you've fired a dozen or so, un-beknownst to you set you up with an empty chamber. One might be surprised at the flinch.

I find that using a weighted lead sled I am able to concentrate much more on the intended point of impact and trigger control as I do not have my sub-conscious warning me that I'm about to get the schitt kicked out of me. IMHO, this translates to the filed when hunting.

ya!

GWB

Last edited by geedubya; 01/28/18.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by geedubya
Originally Posted by huntsman22

schitt happens!

[Linked Image]

dinks get perforated

[Linked Image]

consequently

[Linked Image]

sometimes a better scope is the ticket!

ya!

GWB

You have some fine rifles!

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I have long arms, so it doesn’t bother me to use a sled. POI doesn’t change from the sled to the bags for me, but I always double check.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
So your rifle is too short when not using the lead sled?

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Probably just a little.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

543 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 01Foreman400, 007FJ, 10ring1, 1234, 68 invisible), 2,384 guests, and 1,394 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,164
Posts18,484,441
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.