Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Hey all you Southern Guy and Gals, who can give me a recipe for theses wonderfull little gems??????????

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Got mine from a little tin and tarpaper shack deep in the Everglades. Place had a "Cafe" sign outside and sold nothing but gator and catfish, served with hearts of palm, coleslaw and hushpuppies. Damn, that food was good...

Anyway, he worked from scratch with cornmeal, but any good cornbread mix will be almost as good.

Mix any cornbread per directions, except use beer instead of water/milk. Mix to a thick consistency and add very finely minced fresh Bermuda or Vidalia onion, about one tablespoon per cup of mix. Form into ping-pong size balls with wet hands and drop carefully into enough hot oil that the balls float. They will turn over by themselves when the bottom is done. Cook one more minute and remove. Drain well on paper towels. Serve hot, preferably with fried fish, coleslaw and cold beer.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Rocky...you know your Puppies....LOL

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Rocky,

Thats just about exactly right. A thick cornbread batter, add onions, and deep fried. I have seen some variations adding red pepper, sage, etc...but simple is best IMO.

War Damn Eagle!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Just ABOUT? Harrumph. Next you'll be saying I ALMOST know how to make chili, or BBQ or beer-batter onion rings, or Yankee pot roast, or venison-stuffed green peppers, or...

LOL!! Thanks, brother.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
still, anyone that would use a "cornbread mix"..............
with hushpuppies..............

well, I guess to each his own blush

Sam......

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mannlicher

My "mix" consists of cornmeal, buttermilk, eggs, and oil. I have yet to see the advantage of a "mix" when the real deal is that simple.

War Damn Eagle!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Just ABOUT? Harrumph. Next you'll be saying I ALMOST know how to make chili, or BBQ or beer-batter onion rings, or Yankee pot roast, or venison-stuffed green peppers, or...

LOL!! Thanks, brother.

Sorry Rocky,

Good recipe! grin

As for your chili and BBQ...Ill reserve my opinions until I tastes them, beer battered onion rings...ummm not bad but I prefer a different method involving a buttermilk and spiced flour dredge, "yankee" pot roast has "yankee" in the name so nuff said wink...venison stuffed peppers is something I'd like the recipe for if its vastly different from the standard stuffed pepper recipes I have.

Last edited by .280Rem; 02/10/07.

War Damn Eagle!

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by .280Rem
Originally Posted by Mannlicher

My "mix" consists of cornmeal, buttermilk, eggs, and oil. I have yet to see the advantage of a "mix" when the real deal is that simple.

Ok we are getting there. Now amounts if you could sir!!! Please!!

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I guess technically I lied. I use "cornmeal mix". I was thinking Mannlicher meant like a box cake mix where you add milk and bake, which I don't use. I use Aunt Jemima or White Lily cornmeal mix...they simply add the flour, salt, and baking powder for you...which I'd have to add anyway and wouldn't do differently. But the following is a "no mix" recipe. If you use Aunt Jemima Cornmeal Mix, you don't add the flour, salt or baking powder.

2-4 tablespoons shortening, oil, (or bacon drippings)
1 1/2 cups white self-rising cornmeal*
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 egg
1/2 cup buttermilk, or sweet milk
1/4 teaspoon of baking soda if using buttermilk
water
Preheat the oven to 425�.

Put the shortening in a cast-iron skillet and place on medium heat or in the oven. Combine the cornmeal and flour, then mix in the egg and milk. Add water slowly, until the mixture is pourable (like thick pancake batter). Take the hot pan from the oven, pour some of the melted shortening (a tablespoon or more) into the batter, then pour the batter into the hot pan. Place back in the oven and bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until the outer crust is golden brown.

Keys to great southern cornbread: Get the iron skillet smokin' hot with the oil in it while pre-heating oven. After you pour off some of your oil in to your batter take a sprinkle of flour and toss it in the bottom of the pan. Pour that batter in that hot pan and get it to the oven quickly...this is the key to a great crust. I also use a little more oil than this calls for because I do mine by feel, and I don't use water...I pour in enough buttermilk to get desired consistency. And this reicpe doesn't call for salt...I'd use a pinch.

For hushpuppies: sub beer for the buttermilk and add your oinions and such, and you'd likely want it a touch thicker than for cornbread. Thick enough that instead of being pourable, that it would hold on to a spoon.

Last edited by .280Rem; 02/11/07.

War Damn Eagle!

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Gonna have Bluegills and hush puppies tomorrow. 280 Thanks again!

Last edited by Whelenman; 02/16/07.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
I don't think there are really many different recipes for hushpuppys. They are pretty much made the same way all over the South. My recipe, below, has minced onions, and regular corn meal, not self rising. I add in my own baking powder.

Folks should play with these recipes, and mix/match ingredients until you get a hushpuppy that pleases you and your family. One thing I am sure of, is that there are few things on earth as delicious as a well made hushpuppy.
When I serve these with fried fish, I like coleslaw and a big bowl of cheese grits on the side. Don't forget the cold beer!!

Sam

Hushpuppies

Makes about a dozen, recipe is expandable

1 � cups yellow cornmeal
� cup flour
(� tsp sugar, if the onions are not sweet onions)
� tsp salt
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking powder
1 egg, beaten
1 tbls melted butter, or bacon drippings, your choice
� sweet onion, fine diced or grated
� cup buttermilk

In a deep bowl, mix the dry ingredients, sifting once. Add the egg, melted butter or bacon drippings, and some of the milk.
Mix to a stiff dough. Add more milk as needed, a little at a time, until the dough holds shape, and is slightly sticky.

Using two spoons, dipped in buttermilk, shape the dough into an egg shape, and drop into hot oil. Fry until golden brown, about 4 min. The oil should be around 365 F. Remove and drain on an icing rack, with paper towels below. Do not drain on paper towels.

Sam......

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
My bride and I are eating them as I type. Yum

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
What is the point to using the icing rack instead of direct contact with paper towels?

Long

Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
It keeps the hushpuppy from absorbing the oil. With an icing rack, the oil drips to the paper towel below. I use this technique with all my fried foods, from fish to fritters.

Sam......

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Whelenman
My bride and I are eating them as I type. Yum

So, the recipe you used?

Mannlicher...+1 on the icing or baking cooling rack.

War Damn Eagle!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Icing racks are good but in a pinch you can drop the puppies or fried fish for that matter in a big brown paper grocery bag with some loosely wadded up paper towels and shake them up to get out the excess oil. Don't shake too hard with fish.

Another thing you can try as I do some times is for the liquid in the hushpuppy mix use boiling water to scald the cornmeal/onion/pepper/salt mix. Just enough to where you can form a ball when it cools enough to handle.

BCR

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Your's sir!!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
And the outcome? And I cant take credit for the "recipe". Thats generations old southen tried and true fave! Somebody else here suggested the beer. Hope they worked!

Last edited by .280Rem; 02/19/07.

War Damn Eagle!

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
It was a terrible thing!!!!!! I had to finish the remainder off at noon today. What can I say someone had to do it!!! grin

Thanks again

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

580 members (1936M71, 17CalFan, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 160user, 1Longbow, 71 invisible), 2,338 guests, and 1,457 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,682
Posts18,493,903
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.