Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Rings finally came in and I got my NF SHV 3-10X42 forceplex mounted up. Looks and feels good. Very impressed with the NF so far - glass is better than I expected and it just feels sturdy and heavy duty like you imagine a NF should. For those guys curious, the Forceplex reticle is to my eye exactly the same as leupold's duplex - so if you like that one, you should have no issues with the Forceplex. For my needs (bombproof hunting scope, that occasionally may be dialed to a 4-600 yard shot) this thing is just about perfect.

This scope is setting on my LAW Professional 280 AI. Steel factory 2 piece pic. bases, Burris XTR low rings. With the muzzle break on and as shown, weighs 8 pounds 13 oz - just fine by me. I may save a few ounces with Talleys, but this seems like a pretty sturdy setup. Still need to pick up a front butler creek cap and get it taped on - plan to do that tomorrow.

I am hoping to get out this Sunday and shoot and test it out, but so far, I like it a lot!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

GB1

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Looks good to me. Im looking at that scope myself. Let us know how she shoots.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Never have seen or held any NF scope before
All I have and use now are Leupold 6x42`s with German#4 or Heavy Duplex
or Meopro 6x42 with their German#4
Could some one here who has a 3-10x42 SHV with Forceplex.
Please post a pic of the Forceplex Reticle?
How does the Forceplex Reticle compare
to a Leupold Heavy Duplex or Zeiss Conquest #20 reticle?
Thanks AMRA

Molan Labe
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Any reason for choosing the 6 vs 4 screw rings?

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by OutdoorAg
Any reason for choosing the 6 vs 4 screw rings?

I chose the 6 hole rings because I got them on closeout at a price I couldn't say no to. Plus its just that much more surface being held by the ring.

Originally Posted by AMRA
Never have seen or held any NF scope before
All I have and use now are Leupold 6x42`s with German#4 or Heavy Duplex
or Meopro 6x42 with their German#4
Could some one here who has a 3-10x42 SHV with Forceplex.
Please post a pic of the Forceplex Reticle?
How does the Forceplex Reticle compare
to a Leupold Heavy Duplex or Zeiss Conquest #20 reticle?
Thanks AMRA

Again, the forceplex is identical to leupold's standard plex. Use that as your baseline when comparing.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That is a fine looking rig!

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Looks good. I'm in the same camp. I'm done compromising scope and mount integrity to save a few ounces. The only thing that gives me pause is that it looks like not all of the clamp is contacting the base where it sits. I'm sure it is plenty since the bar will prevent forward movement but I would rather the whole base have contact.

Last edited by R_H_Clark; 01/21/18.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Looks good.

One question, I've never handled a SHV, so on a longer range shot where dialing is needed, you must unscrew the cap and than dial?

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Was there not enough room on the scope tube to move the rear ring back a notch? If so, move that rear ring back. If not, you need narrower rings, in order to maximize the mounting distance and to keep the rings out of the action port, as the way you have it mounted now is an abortion.

Can’t see the need for a muzzle brake on a 9 lb all-up 280, but it’s your hearing to lose.

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
Was there not enough room on the scope tube to move the rear ring back a notch? If so, move that rear ring back. If not, you need narrower rings, in order to maximize the mounting distance and to keep the rings out of the action port, as the way you have it mounted now is an abortion.

Can’t see the need for a muzzle brake on a 9 lb all-up 280, but it’s your hearing to lose.

Not enough tube to move the ring back, however the Burris ring clamp on the screw side is half the normal size so the actual clamp on that side doesn't go past the base. On top of that, the rings/bases have enough loctite on them that they are not going anywhere.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

As far as hearing goes, I use ear protection every range session and in the field, usually only need one shot.... Doesn't bother me.
Originally Posted by Lonny
Looks good.
One question, I've never handled a SHV, so on a longer range shot where dialing is needed, you must unscrew the cap and than dial?

Yes, however if you have to take a long enough shot to dial - 400 yards plus for this rifle, the extra 15 seconds to unscrew the top dial shouldn't matter much. Plus, I carry my rifle a lot in my pack as I hike into the backcountry and pull it out from the top when needed. Capped turrets give one more layer of protection to ensure dial does not get accidentally spun. Lastley, even a capped NXS was $7-800 more - just couldn't swing it.

IC B3

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Capped turret with the plex wouldn't bother me for the application I would use such a scope in,as a basic set it and forget it scope that I could have a higher level of confidence in.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Five minutes with a Dremel would get rid of that useless lip sticking down on that ring...

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
That is a really nice rig you have there except for those horrible rings and all the nail polish.
Do your self a favour and buy some Seekins rings, you will then have the perfect package.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Hairing8

Very nice setup there. That rifle will hunt!

Critical bunch of bastids here.

Lefty C

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I don't know if critical is the correct word? It's more like several people including the poster are discussing his new scope rings and mounts. Seems like more discussion thoughts and advice.

I would have to use a narrower ring or just go with a rail due to the portion hanging over. I have no doubt that it's a rock solid setup though.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
What does the turrets look like are they just capped for hunting

Tater
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by leftycarbon
Hairing8

Very nice setup there. That rifle will hunt!

Critical bunch of bastids here.

Lefty C

Indeed.

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Because the last thing I would ever want to do is "upset the campfire crowd" I pulled my scope today and remounted in the Extended Front, Low talley's that I had. It actually probably was the best solution as it saved me 5 oz (8# 8.1oz) and got the bases out of the ejection port.

However, the NF scope is short, and the action is very long and the scope sets just at an area where I had to dremel a bit of material out of the outside lips of both bases to prevent the power ring and objective bell from touching. But no big deal, 5 minutes of dremeling, little black touchup marker, and we are good to go - not by much - but there is clearance on both ends.

Something to keep in mind for anyone with future plans on this scope (Very short tube) or a LAW (3.6" long action).

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Hiaring8; 01/22/18.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Elegant and practical

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I like it

Tater
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

453 members (12344mag, 1minute, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 160user, 1eyedmule, 60 invisible), 2,617 guests, and 1,293 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,203
Posts18,503,768
Members73,994
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.