Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
I'm thinking about replacing my 05 Pilot.I had a 03 Outback before the pilot. I use the car as a daily driver, usually 7 miles to the grocery store, 22 miles to the gun club, pick up horse feed. I have a 15 3500 RAM Dually that I use to pull my 5th wheel to Skeet shoots, also have a 95 K3500 Chevy farm truck.

Want 4 wheel drive just to take a quick trip to the pasture, a little security on a muddy dirt road, pull up a wet muddy slope. No serious off road. Need inside storage for groceries, horse feed, hauling gear to one day Skeet shoots, family vacation. I have twin 11 year old daughters. A big passenger load would be 3 adults and the girls, that's what we had on a recent ski trip.

What are some of the pluses and minuses of the three? Looking at probably 08-11 model year in any of the three. Has Subaru solved the head gasket issues by 08-11? Does Honda have a more real 4x4 as compared to the low speed only on my 05? Is the timing chain vs belt a plus for the $ Runner? What are some of your thoughts on the three?

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I have a 2008 4runner SR5 4WD with 250K on it and it's been flawless. Only repair is 4 wheel bearings and a water pump, which with that mileage is actually routine maintenance. Probably the most sure footed vehicle I've ever owned when it comes to slippery/offroad conditions. Only con is that the head room is a little tight if they have a sun roof.

The wife has had various Honda Pilots. The latest one is pretty nice and very different from the older boxier looking ones. The third row seats are actually functional. The older ones had really bad torque steer and ate tires.

It's been my experience that northerners, democrats and queers drive Subaru's. just sayin'

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
4Runner unless you're mom (Pilot) or a dike (Outback).

[Linked Image]

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
For the duties you describe the 4Runner would be the best choice. My BIL has a Tundra and his dad has a 4Runner, both while well cared for are driven hard. They have in excess of 200K trouble free miles on these Toyatas and probably will drive them at least another 100K. The 4Runner is used as a hunting vehicle in the Colorado Rockies and has given superior service, the Honda and the Subaru couldn't even begin to compare.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Subaru has a reputation for advertising to the queers but that doesn't make it a bad car. It's a darn good one. They'll hold up well over 200k.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Subaru has a reputation for advertising to the queers but that doesn't make it a bad car. It's a darn good one. They'll hold up well over 200k.

Is it normal to burn a qt of oil every 1000 miles?

My friends 2015 lezburu did starting the month she bought new. Then the dealer lied to her and cover up these well known issues and lezburu non responsive.

Had to contact the state AG threaten law suit

Was not impressed at all and would never buy a car from them. Plus they donate to anti gun and anti hunting groups

Toyota or Honda any day

Last edited by ribka; 01/22/18.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
The Toyota can do what you want done, but it might be a tight fit with five people loaded up. I'd prefer the bigger, more comfortable, and more powerful Sequoia.

The Honda and Subaru can do some things that you want done, but not all of them as well as the Toyota. My mechanic loves Subarus, as they help him pay the rent. The 4-cyl models have head gasket issues and the 6-cyl models have timing chain issues, none of which are inexpensive fixes.

We bought my son a 2003 Pilot awhile back and one thing that I really like about it is the space, particularly the head room, but I'm not convinced that the VTM-4 4x4 thing is very useful.

Subarus are really popular in New England, Alaska, Colorado, Montana, and the Pacific Northwest.

DMc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The Mustang.

Definitely the Mustang....

[Linked Image]

DMc : )

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That's easy......Toyota.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Having a Pilot and a 4 Runner.. albeit an older model..

The 4 Runner has a better 4WD system on the newer models...
but have less room that a Pilot does...

I prefer the Pilot for a lot of daily driver stuff...

and I keep the 4 Runner for more specialty stuff, like going
out on Forest Service property, hunting, camping etc...

Personally I would never be without either one...

and both are very well built and reliable...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

β€œOwning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
4 runner for me as well...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
None of them will be as cheap as the car you have now or simply driving the Ram.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Toyota hands down.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Well, currently in a law suit with toyota over our mijivan. Three recalls so far and refusing to cover both doors inoperable. Even though every other year is recslled. I drome my subi 250000, rebuilt the rear end and the current owner is getting another 250000. It was an amazing reliable vehicle i could sleep in whenever i needed to..subaru is amazing.

B
BWS Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Wifey drives Sube WRX's,straight drive,stupid fast,easy to work on once you learn to speak their language.I'll tell her she's a lesbo,mother of 4,Gma of 2.She'll think it's funny.

I bought her one of the first 4 runners when they had vinyl interiors and straight front axles.Bought used with 40k miles,she put 250 on it,I sold it for alllmost what I paid for it cause in her ownership they got yuppied.Prices went way up.

Honda's are nice but expensive?

Any will work once you learn their tricks?

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Toyota for damn sure!!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
We have owned 1 4Runner and 3 Outback wagons, all good vehicles, bought new, and driven 130-150k miles. All my vehicles are run with Mobil 1. In something approaching 300,000 total miles on 3 Outbacks, I have not experienced oil leaking/burning problems.
Outback is smallest of the 3 models mentioned, also the least expensive.
Wife & kids got rear ended by a Blazer while in the 4 Runner, Blazer was totaled and the 4Runner was driven home with very minor shhet metal damage. Our son totalled 1 of the Outbacks and walked away without a scratch.
No bad choices among the 3 vehicles.

Imagine your grave on a windy winter night. You've been dead for 70 years.
It's been 50 since a visitor last paused at your tombstone.....
Now explain why you're in a pissy mood today.
S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Toyota, all the way.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
the biggest bang for the buck of the three is the Pilot.

not saying that's what you should get - all 3 have brand reputation built into the price, but of the 3, I believe Pilots are the better value in the used car market.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Sounds like more of a two way race between the 4 and the Pilot with a Sequoia lurking in the sidelines. My Pilot has been problem free for the 2 years I've been driving it. The only reason I am considering the upgrade is that I have a brother that I care for all of his business and upkeep. He has a dismal driving history and thinks maintenance is putting in $5 of gas. He's been in mid 90s Cherokee that is at the point of death. I'm planning to put him in my current Pilot since it is a way nicer car than anything else I can get him in the price range.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

501 members (12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 50 invisible), 2,286 guests, and 1,153 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,510
Posts18,490,768
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.