Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I shoot a lot of both IMR4064 and IMR4350, in the .223, .243, .260, 7/08, etc..... Once it gets below about 10 degrees, I’ve found shooter temp sensitivity to play a much larger roll in accuracy/POI shifts.... than powder temp sensitivity.

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
GB1

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
MontanaMan,

Haven't done any formal testing of either, but both have been consistent.

One thing mentioned in the article is that so far I've never cold-tested a powder claimed to be temperature-resistant that didn't work well at zero.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Dogshooter,

That can be a factor!

However, when I do my zero-degree testing I pick days that are calm, and usually sunny, because quite often high pressure results in those conditions during Montana winters. It's actually usually pretty pleasant, at least for a native Montanan of Norwegian ancestry. I shoot the rifles over a benchrest, with a warmed-up pickup nearby in case I need to reheat either the shooter or the chronograph.

I described all my methodology (including this) in the article, but have discovered over the 15+ years I've been a Campfire member that most people don't want to read 2000+ word articles. Instead they want the 3-sentence Internet version of knowledge.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
J
Joe Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

I described all my methodology (including this) in the article, but have discovered over the 15+ years I've been a Campfire member that most people don't want to read 2000+ word articles. Instead they want the 3-sentence Internet version of knowledge.

Yep, give it to me now, now, now! whistle

Shew me thy ways, O LORD: teach me thy paths.
"there are few better cartridges on Earth than the 7 x 57mm Mauser"
"the .30 Springfield is light, accurate, penetrating, and has surprising stopping power"
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Dogshooter
I shoot a lot of both IMR4064 and IMR4350, in the .223, .243, .260, 7/08, etc..... Once it gets below about 10 degrees, I’ve found shooter temp sensitivity to play a much larger roll in accuracy/POI shifts.... than powder temp sensitivity.

Yes, I've noticed chattering teeth for some strange reason makes it more difficult to achieve small groups too!

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
John, I enjoy your 2000+ word articles because everything you write is knowledge to me. After reading your articles and books for many years I can't say I've disagreed with anything you wrote. I've been reloading and making bullets for 58 years and I'm still learning.

Mike

NRA Patron Member

If its "Made in America", its not setting on a container ship!
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by 300savagehunter
John, I enjoy your 2000+ word articles because everything you write is knowledge to me. After reading your articles and books for many years I can't say I've disagreed with anything you wrote.
Mike

Oh Please ! Don't do that. His wife has hard enuff time dealing w/him as it is. whistle

laugh laugh

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
John,

Any info on the temp sensitivity of AR-Comp & IMR-8208 XBR?

Thanks.

MM

In a few observations with 8208 I’ve found it to be as good as it gets. Basically no difference from 70 to 10-20 deg

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Joe,

OK, here they are three sentences, this being the first one:

1) If you hunt in widely different temperatures, use a temperature-resistant powder.

2) If for some reason you can't, then you should actually shoot YOUR ammo in YOUR rifle before going hunting, to find out what happens.

John Steinbeck
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Joe,

OK, here they are three sentences, this being the first one:

1) If you hunt in widely different temperatures, use a temperature-resistant powder.

2) If for some reason you can't, then you should actually shoot YOUR ammo in YOUR rifle before going hunting, to find out what happens.

John,

Jeez, there you go with a concise and logical reply again. On the internet no less shocked

I didn't know gack came in that form. wink

Geno

PS, test firing my rifle and ammo BEFORE hunting? How many years have I been hearing that?

PPS, I'll have to look for that article in the issues I just received. After retiring and relocating to our place in CA some issues of Rifle and Handloader didn't follow me. I called the subscription dept and could not be happier with the service. 3-4 days and they were in my PO box.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
MontanaMan,

Haven't done any formal testing of either, but both have been consistent.

One thing mentioned in the article is that so far I've never cold-tested a powder claimed to be temperature-resistant that didn't work well at zero.

Thank You.

MM

J
Joe Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
John, I was just yanking your chain, I read your article. grin And remember, a huge number don't comprehend what they read so they need it to be short. (That's not what she said) laugh laugh

Last edited by Joe; 01/25/18.

Shew me thy ways, O LORD: teach me thy paths.
"there are few better cartridges on Earth than the 7 x 57mm Mauser"
"the .30 Springfield is light, accurate, penetrating, and has surprising stopping power"
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Joe,

Yeah, I knew that!

I was just yanking the chain of the people who want it all in three sentences....

John Steinbeck
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
HEY ! Wait a minute ! !
lol

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
More gack?
can't wait

vires,fortitudo,vigilantia
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

663 members (007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 16penny, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 77 invisible), 2,965 guests, and 1,384 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,479
Posts18,471,748
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.