Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#12582193 01/25/18
Squidge Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Trump to support path to citizenship for 1.8 million Dreamers - The Hill

The White House will endorse allowing as many as 1.8 million young immigrants to seek U.S. citizenship in an immigration plan that will be released next week, senior administration officials said Thursday.

In exchange for the "Dreamer" protections, President Trump will seek billions of dollars for a border wall and sweeping changes to the immigration system.

Officials who described the plan to reporters framed it as Congress’s best chance to pass a fix for immigrants who benefit from the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program, which Trump terminated last year.

The White House is urging the Senate to draw up legislation based on the plan and introduce it the week of Feb. 5, days before government funding is set to expire, though officials said they do not have an assurance it will be brought up.

“This truly represents a bipartisan compromise position,” said one official, who requested anonymity to detail the proposal. “We have no doubt that if this legislation were brought to the floor, it would easily garner 60 votes.”

The official said Congress failed to pass immigration overhauls in the past because lawmakers considered legislation that was too big in scope and only represented “the most liberal sections of both parties.”

Trump aides offered the most detailed look to date at the president’s plan on immigration, an issue that animated his campaign and has dominated the policy debate on Capitol Hill.

It’s designed to break a partisan impasse on the issue before the DACA programs begin to wind down on March 5.

Despite the White House’s optimism, the plan contains elements that could be unpalatable to lawmakers in both parties.

Under the proposal, immigrants who are covered by DACA or those who are eligible but did not apply can apply for legal status if they meet certain work and education requirements that would be spelled out by Congress.

A senior administration official previously said just the roughly 690,000 immigrants who are covered by DACA would be eligible to apply for citizenship. But another official said Thursday that an additional 1.1 million immigrants who meet age and status requirements for DACA could also apply.

It would take 10-12 years for immigrants to eventually earn citizenship, a timeline Trump revealed during an impromptu session with reporters Wednesday.

Trump has repeatedly said he wants to help young immigrants who were brought to the U.S. illegally as children, known as “Dreamers.” But an official said it was a “dramatic concession by the White House” to expand the pool of people eligible for citizenship.

The larger “Dreamer” population is believed to number 3.6 million people.

In exchange, Trump is asking for $25 billion in large part to build his long-promised wall along the U.S.-Mexico border, a key campaign promise the president has said must be included in a final deal.

The money would be kept in a trust fund so it could not be clawed back by future Congresses.

Officials estimate the wall will cost $20 billion, with the other $5 billion slated to fund new technology and stronger security measures for ports of entry and the U.S-Canada border.

Another $5 billion would be spent to hire more border agents and immigration judges.

That trade-off — wall funding in exchange for DACA protections — appears similar to a deal that Sen. Charles Schumer (D-N.Y.) offered before the three-day government shutdown.

Schumer portrayed the $25 billion offer of wall funding as a major concession, but on Tuesday declared that money is now "off the table."

But an administration official said the White House plan was “galaxies apart” from what Schumer offered.

The Trump plan contains steep limits on migration by extended family members.

Under the new system, U.S. citizens and permanent residents could only sponsor their immediate families, which includes spouses and minor children. Other relatives, like parents and siblings, would be excluded.

The framework also scraps the visa lottery system, which allows people from countries with low levels of U.S. immigration to apply for visas. The remaining visas would be used to clear a backlog of people waiting for family-based and high-skilled worker visas.

Trump administration officials said the plan should satisfy lawmakers who accused Trump of stymying immigration negotiations by being too vague in his demands.

Schumer, who failed to strike a deal last week before the three-day government shutdown, compared the talks to “negotiating with Jell-O.”

“So, where’s the president at on this?” a Trump administration official said, summarizing lawmaker complaints “So here it is. … This is the president’s position.”

While Trump’s offer contains a key demand for Democrats — a path to citizenship for DACA-eligible immigrants — it might scare off members who say they’re giving up too many restrictions on legal immigration.

“There is going to be a significant pushback regarding the changes to legal immigration,” Ali Noorani, executive director of the National Immigration Forum, told The Hill.

“Some folks on the far-left of the Democratic Party are going to have to accept — if they are sincere in their care for DACA recipients — they’re going to have to acknowledge the election results,” a senior administration official replied.

Some conservative Republicans are also balking at offering any path to citizenship to young immigrants.

“I do not believe we should be granting a path to citizenship to anybody here illegally,” Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas) told reporters at the Capitol. “Doing so is inconsistent with the promises we made to the men and women who elected us.”

Noorani called the administration's plan “an important step in the process” but said more changes would need to be made in order for Congress to pass a DACA fix.

“I’m not sure this is the framework that gets to 60 in the Senate and 218 in the House,” he said.

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) in a statement said the administration's plan "builds upon the four pillars for reform that the president has consistently put forth."

"Members on both sides of the aisle will look to this framework for guidance as they work towards an agreement," McConnell said.

Administration officials aides were also not optimistic the plan could pass the House, where immigration hard-liners are more prevalent.

“I don’t know yet,” one official said when asked if it could pass the House. The same official predicted the House and Senate would likely have to go to a conference committee to resolve their differences on immigration.

Speaker Paul Ryan's (R-Wis.) office praised the administration for releasing a plan.

“We’re grateful for the president showing leadership on this issue and believe his ideas will help us ultimately reach a balanced solution,” said spokesman Doug Andres.

Remember why, specifically, the Bill of Rights was written...remember its purpose. It was written to limit the power of government over the individual.

There is no believing a liar, even when he speaks the truth.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I wouldn't bet on anything passing. I'm skeptical the Democrats will agree to end chain migration because that's how they get new voters. But this positions Trump as being "reasonable" for when the fight happens.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bowmanh
I wouldn't bet on anything passing. I'm skeptical the Democrats will agree to end chain migration because that's how they get new voters. But this positions Trump as being "reasonable" for when the fight happens.

👆🏼

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Where the heck all these millions of people going anyhow? Place is already way too crowded.

LOL
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I hear Haiti is nice this time of year.

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Do I like his proposal, no.
Do I think we can or could deport that many, no.
Is this a reasonable solution to help control illegal immigrants, yes.
Do I think the dems will help by supporting this, probably not
But they will look real bad in the eyes of rational people. If

NRA Patron
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
That proposal is a disaster for American workers. DACA lifetime work permits with no path to citizenship , end chain migration immediately , E-verify with felony criminal penalties and huge fines for corporations (like a $1,000,000 per violation ) , end lottery migration , streamlined deportation , build a wall , no government benefits for illegal aliens and any States who provide benefits lose all federal funding. That’s a DACA deal I could live with. Even better would be all that except the work permit and just deport them all. As for the DACA “kids” being innocent ,”The sins of the father shall be visited upon the son”.

‘TO LEARN WHO RULES OVER YOU, SIMPLY FIND OUT WHO YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO CRITICIZE’

Conspiracy theorists are the ones who see it all coming…

You are the carbon they want to eliminate !

I’m Uber Deplorable Ultra MAGA !
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Where the heck all these millions of people going anyhow? Place is already way too crowded.

They're already here.

The path to citizenship will take 10-12 years, and they have to maintain a clean record. No parents or siblings via chain migration. End of catch and release at the border and expedited deportations, all by law, not policy.

Best part is the wall funding will be established as a trust fund that can't be held hostage to budget squabbles. We already had funding, but the money had never been appropriated, a dirty little trick that lets them say they did something without actually doing it. The trust fund prevents that.

Bottom line is: no wall, no end to chain migration (and other stuff), no deal. No deal, and the mess we have continues to get worse. Get the wall built, and it's possible to control the border.

Saw a piece the other day where several of the wall prototypes defeated our Special Forces' (type unspecified, or I forget) attempts to get over.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Originally Posted by dale06

I have heard both dems and republicans say this way to often.

I want to know when the U.S.A. became a nation of "can't do" rather than the nation of "CAN DO".

Either we are a nation of laws or we allow certain people to decide which laws they can ignore.

IC B3

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Virginian2
Originally Posted by dale06

I have heard both dems and republicans say this way to often.

I want to know when the U.S.A. became a nation of "can't do" rather than the nation of "CAN DO".

Either we are a nation of laws or we allow certain people to decide which laws they can ignore.

The only way we'll get that many deported is if Chelsea were to swap places with Kate Steinle....

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I don't like any of this.

As for the so called trust fund for the wall.
The next congress is not bound by anything this congress passes in this form.
Besides they have gone down this road before,promising money/stuff and somehow it magically does not appear.

Same crap happened with the Regan deal.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Democrats are looking like buffoons on this. They can't support this legislation, but they can't not support it.

Changes are coming....and none of them bode well for the Leftniks.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I will judge the end deal. End deals look little like original proposals because one party in the negotiation always wants or needs something more and then the other party needs to get something in return. And back and forth it goes.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
True enough, but I'm not really sure that amnesty is a good trade for a (maybe) wall that won't make any significant difference in any case. How many of that live near the Southern Border believe that any illegal that wants to be here won't go over, under, through or around a wall?

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
As expected the Dems acted like the PLO; given what they claimed they wanted, they now want more. Trump can now say he tried to deal in good faith and they spit in his eye. Fugg 'em, and start the buses.

Real people can now see that this is about stacking the election deck, not about compassion for innocent "children", and are getting fed up with the posturing and demands.

What fresh Hell is this?
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by ltppowell
any illegal that wants to be here won't go over, under, through or around a wall?

I believe they'll try it. But only the sophisticated ones will succeed. I think it will, at least, slow them down and also stop the average guy from simply just running across the border. We have a huge leak in our boat, we need to plug it as best as possible.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I 'm not thrilled about this, but once again, Dems = checkers, Trump = chess.
Something has to be done. And the ten-twelve year path keeps them off the voting rolls for a decade.

We all know that to dems this is only about votes. They don't GAS about illegals, it's why blacks are in the shape they are. Trump is changing that and some of them realize that.

Pelosi basically came out and said this is a racist proposal, Americans have to know now that the woman is batsh t crazy,...

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Trump is playing the negotiation game. I'm not enthusiastic about legalizing the DACA people, but if what Trump has proposed were enacted, it would prevent millions of relatives of immigrants from entering the country over the next decade. That's probably a win overall.

But I doubt it'll happen. The Democrats are likely not willing to give up chain migration for legalization of the DACA folks. They know that chain migration brings in huge numbers of immigrants and that's what they want.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The great thing about mesicans, is they're too cheap to pay union dues grin

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

539 members (12344mag, 160user, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 1_deuce, 60 invisible), 2,299 guests, and 1,310 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,494
Posts18,509,091
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.