Campfire Kahuna
W
A tip of my old Stetson [Linked Image]

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Just passing through, for the last 35 years or so...

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Originally Posted by Elkhunter49
Yep born and raised in West Texas (just east of San Angelo) and spent my first 53 years in Texas. I'm looking for my retirement home there right now!

Last time I was in Angelo was 5 or 6 years ago to pick up a pair of custom made cowboy boots. So we stopped at Zentner's Daughters Steak House for lunch, and it was just OK. Not near as good as it used to be, but they damned sure gave you plenty to eat.
When I was a kid, parents would drive over to the original Zentner's in Loweki 3 or 4 times a year. Back then, they were probably the best steakhouse in TX.

My wife's family had lived around the San Angelo area. My wife was born in San Angelo. They introduced me to Zentner's and Zentner's daughter back in the '80s. You are right they had great steaks. I think the original Zentner's is gone now. They use garlic on their steaks. It enhances the flavor I think though I can also do without it.

Figures don't lie, But Liars figure
Assumption is the mother of mistakes
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
5th generation Texas country boy.

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Born and raised in Fort Worth. Non-direct family member came with Crockett from TN to the Alamo. His widow moved to TX after with my direct family (maternal). Paternal family came in 1865 after the war. Been here ever since. Moved to Chicago for several years and brought my wife back with me. Live outside Austin now.

Last edited by MRitchie; 01/25/18.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
"If you haven't climbed up to Enchanted Rock,
Drank a cold Shiner down in Luckenbach,
Taken your baby to the River Walk,
Then you ain't met My Texas yet.

If you haven't floated down the 'Ol Frio,
Heard Red Dirt music on your radio,
Eaten Cooper's down in Llano,

You haven't been to the Houston rodeo,
Sang "Carry On" at a Pat Green show,
If you ain't seen an Abilene sunset,

If you never caught a trout down in Port A,
Heard the words to Corpus Christi Bay,
Never seen fireworks on PK,

Havent had a kolache when you go through West,
Never heard of the Larry Jo Taylor fest,
Think polished pop country crap sounds the best,

You haven't been to the Ft. Worth stock show,
Sang along with Cory Morrow,
You ain't seen a hill country sunset,

You say you haven't hiked through Big Bend,
Had your hair blown back by a Lubbock wind,
Been somewhere where they call you "friend",
then you ain't met My Texas yet.

You haven't been to the San Antone
rodeo,
Sang "Everclear" at a Creager show,
If you ain't seen an El Paso sunset,

No, you ain't met My Texas yet!"

- by Josh Abbott Band

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - Ronald Reagan
R
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
R
Born and raised in San Antonio. 5th generation [of immigrants from Germany, circa 1845, who settled 'bout halfway between Cuero and Yorktown].

Last edited by rabst; 01/25/18.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Born in El Paso.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Just passing through, for the last 35 years or so...

You get adopted status as a Native, in my book, Mike, for your volunteer work at the ALAMO.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Since 1979. Before that it was just a-comin'.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Raeford
Been in Houston airport, that count?

Am actually coming to San Antonio this August[I'm sure it won't be hot].....
Can't wait to come there for the first time ever[beyond an airport].

Be sure to see the Alamo & Nagels Gunshop.

I would go to the gunshop if'n I knew how to get there. Been to the Alamo and loved lookin' at the Robert E Lee Hotel. Especially loved the "air conditioned" sign.
My bride and I are winter Texans(thanks for allowing us in the state for 3-4 months a year) We stay on the water on lake lbj. Great fishin' hole you got there. We rent a house in a cove and have a covered dock and boat lift. It's the only time I fish during the year is the time I'm in Texas. Otherwise I just hunt-shoot and reload when back in freezeville.

We have been to San Anton every year and eat at the Bass Pro restaurant when there.(Its part of the shopping we do)
I would like to do more driving around and looking in San Anton but my truck only goes 110 mph and it's hard to keep up with traffic on the express ways.

Also we wonder what happened to the warm weather we had last year in the mornings?

Take your kids and your grand kids huntin' and shootin'.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I was born in Texas. Only lived there for about 6 weeks or until I was old enough and it cooled off enough to make the drive to Oregon.

Carpe' Scrotum
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Born in Texas City,Texas
Raised in Alta Loma,Texas
My grandchildren make six generations of my family to live on the land my great grandfather bought with his GI benifits from WW1
We ain't never gonna leave.

" It ain't dead.As long as there's one cowboy taking care of one cow,it ain't dead ! "
Monte Walsh
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Chainsaw

I would go to the gunshop if'n I knew how to get there. Been to the Alamo and loved lookin' at the Robert E Lee Hotel. Especially loved the "air conditioned" sign.
My bride and I are winter Texans(thanks for allowing us in the state for 3-4 months a year) We stay on the water on lake lbj. Great fishin' hole you got there. We rent a house in a cove and have a covered dock and boat lift. It's the only time I fish during the year is the time I'm in Texas. Otherwise I just hunt-shoot and reload when back in freezeville.

We have been to San Anton every year and eat at the Bass Pro restaurant when there.(Its part of the shopping we do)
I would like to do more driving around and looking in San Anton but my truck only goes 110 mph and it's hard to keep up with traffic on the express ways.

Also we wonder what happened to the warm weather we had last year in the mornings?

Bass Pro is San Antonio?

Heck, remind me in August, there's a kazillion greasy spoon Tex-Mex joints around here with the best tacos, fajitas, enchiladas and flautas this side of Corpus.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by 1911a1
Yep born and raised in West Texas (just east of San Angelo) and spent my first 53 years in Texas. I'm looking for my retirement home there right now!

Last time I was in Angelo was 5 or 6 years ago to pick up a pair of custom made cowboy boots. So we stopped at Zentner's Daughters Steak House for lunch, and it was just OK. Not near as good as it used to be, but they damned sure gave you plenty to eat.
When I was a kid, parents would drive over to the original Zentner's in Loweki 3 or 4 times a year. Back then, they were probably the best steakhouse in TX.

My wife's family had lived around the San Angelo area. My wife was born in San Angelo. They introduced me to Zentner's and Zentner's daughter back in the '80s. You are right they had great steaks. I think the original Zentner's is gone now. They use garlic on their steaks. It enhances the flavor I think though I can also do without it.

I agree fellas that Zentner's Daughters isn't what it used to be but their average steak is better than most folks best effort. Next time trry Western Sky on N.Chadbourne.

Last edited by Elkhunter49; 01/25/18.

A true friend is someone who reaches for your
hand but touches your heart !!!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

I agree fellas that Zentner's Daughters isn't what it used to be but their average steak is better than most folks best effort. Next time trry Western Sky on N.Chadbourne.

Western Sky has always had good steaks. Been a while since I've been there, but I'll hit it next time I'm there.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Born in Wichita Falls the day WW2 was declared. Other than four years in the Corps I’ve never lived outside of Texas.

My G Grandfather on paternal side came to Texas from Tennessee ( by way of Missouri) in the ‘fifties.G G Grandfather on maternal side was already here, being Comanche.

I’ve lived in Young or adjoining counties since I was five years old.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Originally Posted by Chainsaw

Bass Pro is San Antonio?

Heck, remind me in August, there's a kazillion greasy spoon Tex-Mex joints around here with the best tacos, fajitas, enchiladas and flautas this side of Corpus.

Agreed Mike! When I'm in SA, I want Tex-Mex from any one of the numerous mom & pop joints that are 10 times better that Bass Pro's over priced Restaurant.

Last edited by chlinstructor; 01/25/18.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
From Alaska, but got here as quick as I could.

Don't want to live anywhere else.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
...Agreed Mike! When I'm in SA, I want Tex-Mex from any one of the numerous mom & pop joints that are 10 times better that Bass Pro's over priced Restaurant.

If nowhere else, you gotta try La Fogata!

I'm not a guacamole connoisseur, but theirs is made right there at the table and is outstanding!

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

427 members (10Glocks, 160user, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 17CalFan, 42 invisible), 17,148 guests, and 1,117 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,885
Posts18,538,419
Members74,050
Most Online20,796
04:44 PM

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.