Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I want to jump in and say that I like Texas. Texas is so big and so diverse it takes further qualification. I could live anywhere from the hill country to southeast to east and North Texas as long as it was outside one of the major metro areas. West Texas and the Panhandle, well I ain't tough enough for those winters and the relentless wind. The people. Good. Lots of really good folks. I am 3 years from retirement and studied Texas closely as a place to hang my hat. The cost of living is good. Real Estate in most places is very reasonable. Finding 5-10 acres for a fair price is easy. I think it's cool that there are free ranging populations of exotics. The lack of public hunting land was a big downside though. I am used to living in areas where there is a substantial amount of public land.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I was stationed in Texas twice. Ft. Sam Houston and Ft. Hood. I would love to make it permanent but everyone is in Iowa. I guess I will just have to dream about it. All you Texas folks are lucky to be where you are at.
kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
kwg020, just come when you can. You are welcome here!

America, Our Country and we’re taking it back.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I’m a newbie. Lived here for the past 26 years. My kids were born here so that makes them Texans but I will always be a prod North Dakotan.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
My great grandfather was Busch(mother’s side) who came from Germany in the early 1900s through Galveston and went to Tours. My mother married my dad who was born and raised in Texas. His name was Adams. He joined the Navy and served during Vietnam. I was born in a Navy hospital in Key West in 1973. My mother moved me back to Texas after I was a few weeks old. I grew up on Grandpaw Busch’s farm. Well, I now ended up back where my Great Grandfather Busch started out, in Tours, Texas. I love Texas!

IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Steve
I was born in Texas. Only lived there for about 6 weeks or until I was old enough and it cooled off enough to make the drive to Oregon.

I don't think I made 6 months. Born at Connally AFB in 1957 so at least I have Texas birthright. Here in California since 1958. I am the only Texas born of my sibs.

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Been here since 1979. Was an economic refugee.

"...why, land is the only thing in the world worth working for, worth fighting for, worth dying for,... because it is the only thing that lasts."
hanco Offline OP
Campfire Savant
OP Offline
Campfire Savant
Sweet mother Texas, rock a bye me!!

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
I've lived and worked in Texas all my life from north central to west and south to east. I don't know about things being bigger in Texas but they sure are farther apart. There are good people from all over the country and the world for that matter. Finally landed in East Texas.

Our major metropolitan cities are becoming havens for the mentally impaired like most of the country. In Waco Unique Guns and Collectibles is a pretty good place to visit.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
How would it be, if we were all, Texans at heart?

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by RiverRider
Originally Posted by Sendero
Is that in the big bend area ?

My memory has surely failed. The hot spring is nowhere near where I remembered it to be. It's actually nearer to the eastern end of the park. It's still right on the river, though. If you're interested, I know you can find out where it is using google. Just search "hot spring big bend national park" and you'll find it.

That hot springs is not far from the Mexican village of Boquillas.

The first job I took when I left home was wrangler at the Chisos Remuda. (Guiding dudes horseback). We would grab a few beers and take the tourist girls to the hot springs... grin

Good Times!

Ah, to be that young and free again!

This is the springs you are thinking about...

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That's the one. My recollections must be clouded due to time and the fact that our forays into the Big Bend were frequently fueled by two bags of Doritos and 16 cases of Keystone. I do recall taking the raft across to Boquillas to sit on a shaded porch where an old lady would serve genuine Mexican food and beer.

When I worked for the radio shop in Alpine, we hired a string of horses to carry all our stuff up to Emory Peak to work on the repeater up there. Craig Carter was our wrangler for that little project. Good times.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by RiverRider
That's the one. My recollections must be clouded due to time and the fact that our forays into the Big Bend were frequently fueled by two bags of Doritos and 16 cases of Keystone. I do recall taking the raft across to Boquillas to sit on a shaded porch where an old lady would serve genuine Mexican food and beer.

When I worked for the radio shop in Alpine, we hired a string of horses to carry all our stuff up to Emory Peak to work on the repeater up there. Craig Carter was our wrangler for that little project. Good times.

Craig is a good friend of mine. Known him for close to 40 years.

I could tell you some stories about that Big Bend country...

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I spent a bit of time there during my four years at Sul Ross. We'd go and camp at Grassy Banks. The freedom down there was just damn near unlimited. I miss it.

Anytime you feel like tellin a story about the Bend, I can guarantee you an audience of at least one!

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I spent my entire youth down there.

Many many hours on and along the Rio Grande.

That whole area has a flavor, and a smell to it. whenever I go back down there, I stop the truck and get out and just take some deep breaths. That desert smell lets you know you are in the right place.
I guess it's in my blood. smile

Perhaps I'll start a thread about that Big Bend area.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The Golden Triangle (of Texas) has a smell too. You don't want to roll your Windows down though. Money stinks.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ltppowell
The Golden Triangle (of Texas) has a smell too. You don't want to roll your Windows down though. Money stinks.

Yeah, I grew up smelling "sour gas" from those oil wells out in West Texas. smile

I can't say that I find the smell of oil wells offensive. In fact, I kinda like it.

Chicken farms or a dairy is what I wouldn't care to neighbor with.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It's not oil production...it's refining. We have about 20% of the nation's refining capabilities within 10 miles of where I sit.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by ltppowell

Yeah, I grew up smelling "sour gas" from those oil wells out in West Texas. smile

I can't say that I find the smell of oil wells offensive. In fact, I kinda like it.

Yep, all that money still stinks! over 2M/bbls daily are coming from the Permian now, over 20% of the total US daily production.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I didn't grow up here. I have been in and out. I'm back and plan on staying.

I'm from Texas.

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

608 members (10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 160user, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 58 invisible), 18,598 guests, and 1,233 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,967
Posts18,539,817
Members74,052
Most Online20,796
Yesterday at 04:44 PM

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.