Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by muleshoe
Originally Posted by Reloder28
Originally Posted by muleshoe
So which era of 1911's would you rather own? Not as a collector piece but as a shooter.Thinking I might bring home a lightweight Commander someday.

Only interested in Colt's?

Yep.

I have a lightweight commander size Kimber that gets carried quite a bit, thinking I'd like another pistol with the dancing pony on it.

Thanks for the input guys, I'm a bit surprised to hear so highly of the new production pistols.

The pony may look like he is dancing. But he is Rampant and ready.

"Rampant Pony" is the official stamp name.

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
The best ones are the ones with Les Baer stamped on the side. wink

Of the models the OP mentioned, I'd take the Wiley Clapp model or the new U.S. Marine model.

Last edited by chlinstructor; 01/25/18.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Here's my 1961 Colt Government Model. It's not going anywhere.

[Linked Image]

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Very nice indeed..

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Very nice indeed..
It came into a local gun shop as part of a large purchase from the Sheriff's Department, i.e., confiscated guns. I happened to be there when it came into the shop. I asked if I could check it out, and was told I could. I told them I was interested in it, and they gave me a very good price on it. I think this was about ten years ago. It's been 100% reliable. Nice trigger, too. Only thing I did was take off the original hard rubber Colt stocks and replace them with classic rose wood. It's 100% factory original, apart from the rose wood stocks.

I was told by many collectors never to take off those original stocks, because they are known to shrink unless kept installed, but I just didn't like their looks.

IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by GunGeek
There's nothing quite like a pre-war commercial Colt.

But if you're looking for a pure shooter, the pistols Colt makes today will wipe the floor with a Series 70. More accurate, and MUCH more reliable.

I have collected colts for a long time, and go back to WWI versions, WWII and so on, plus the commercial colts. The military colts are just cool but heat treatments, intentionally sloppy, i wouldn't compare them to a modern gun.
My own opinion is a few years ago i picked up a colt 1911 70's series mark IV, i think it was. It had the bushing with fingers in it, which i promptly replaced.
I had a mid teens grandson with me one day, never fired a gun like that before. 200grain swc H&g bullets. Gave him the gun to shoot.
six out of six beer cans at about ten yards, surprised me he could do it.
I also have a very tweaked 70series gold cup. I still like that mark 4 as much or better.
A little off topic, but maybe not. I also have a s&w and a colt model of 1917, made when they couldn't get enought 1911's for WWI.
I understand some at the time like them better than the 1911. I can well understand that for a variety of reasons.
I think some of the bias as to the military guns is they were used and reused way past their respective times, i.e. all shot out.
i have seen a couple of in the kraft box WWII 1911's, unfired. They are a different animal to the ones you normally see. Another one that would be in the running except for rarity is the preWWII colts made for the U.S. Navy, i have seen a couple that were just pristine.

Last edited by RoninPhx; 01/25/18.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Here's a 1939 Navy Colt 1911A1 that I'm selling on Gunbroker now. It is nice!

[Linked Image]

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Congrats. Beautiful piece. Wish I hadn't sold off a few I had.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by 257heaven

[Linked Image]

That's in very nice shape for its age. Can't imagine selling it unless you have another one just as nice or better, or else really really need the money.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by 257heaven

[Linked Image]

That's in very nice shape for its age. Can't imagine selling it unless you have another one just as nice or better, or else really really need the money.

I sold one that was its twin but in a little better condition back in the early 80's for $750 bucks & thought I was making a killing since I bought it at a Pawn Shop for $225 bucks!
I'm still kicking my self cry

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by hikerbum
Got one made in 1915 that’s pretty nice.... 😬

Mine was made in 1918.

R
RGK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
The pre-war guns ARE nice. This one is from '31.
Bob

[Linked Image]

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by RGK
Bob

[Linked Image]

WOW!!! IT doesn't get much nicer than that one! Great old school leather too!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by RGK
Bob

[Linked Image]

Very nice. I used to have a 1927 Colt Government Model. It had been badly refinished, though. Nice touches on those guns, like the checkered trigger face, the old school look of the hammer and thumb safety, checkered grip safety, etc..

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by RGK
Bob

[Linked Image]

Makes me want to s h i t can all my Glocks! smile

Last edited by jorgeI; 01/26/18.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by RGK
Bob

[Linked Image]

Makes me want to s h i t can all my Glocks! smile

I have a bunch of glocks, as a friend said, they are perfectly aedequate bullet dispensers. I have carried one for years.
It's a gun i describe as one that has no soul, no beauty, actually ugly, but works all the time.
The are in a different category than 1911's.
some years ago i came into a 1911 made in 1918, a "black army". had a period military holster of the same vintage and three of the "dipped" mags as shown in the picture. Hate to tell you what i paid for it, all original.
guy selling to me saw the eagle head stamped on the left side of the frame and from the color thought it had been refinished for WWII. Nope, it was a black army and the eagle was the springfield acceptance stamp for the military. Still haven't shot it.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
you can lose yourself in the bluing of one of these old girls. I haven't checked the prices of those mags in a long time, but wouldn't surprise me floating at maybe 75 to a 100 dollar bill.
i just wish somebody could direct me to a late 43 or early 44 front sight, remington.
i bought the remington which came from a guy getting it from the NRA for around 20bucks. He made a bullseye shooter out of it replacing the military sights with target sights. I found the original rear, but as those front are staked i haven't been able to find the right one diameter and heighth wise.

Last edited by RoninPhx; 01/26/18.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My SEA Colt..side arm I flew with... Mfg 1913...No it's not USAF property..it was my grandfather's. Had to have special orders to take it across the pond and back..Of course I saved all the original parts.

[Linked Image]

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Woody, that is several orders of magnitude UBER cool.
Ron, you have some great stuff, sir.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Woody, that is several orders of magnitude UBER cool.
Ron, you have some great stuff, sir.

Thanks jorge, Always wanted more firepower available in case we got bagged and had to fight it out before the cavalry arrived... I'd rather throw rocks than try to defend myself with our standard issue S&W model 12 .

Ron that's a sweet one you have, just something about 1911's that make them special !

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

592 members (222Sako, 160user, 219 Wasp, 219DW, 007FJ, 12344mag, 63 invisible), 2,272 guests, and 1,279 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,276
Posts18,486,709
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.