Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
A
AH64guy Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
A
Anybody had experience with finding an aftermarket stock for the rifle in the title?

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I haven't looked for one, but SHOT may have some announcements.

George

Shoot straight, shoot often, but by all means, use enough gun!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Boyds makes them if you're okay with a laminate. Rick Steinhour will make them up for you using MPI or McMillan but canabalizes the inletted portion from the factory stock. There's a thread on this site about the process with pics of the results of two. MDT (and others?) make a chassis stock for the Americans.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
the LH part is gonna be the trick

saw on FB where magpul finally has the predator stock out at SHOT.

RH of course.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

A
AH64guy Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by pointer
Boyds makes them if you're okay with a laminate. Rick Steinhour will make them up for you using MPI or McMillan but canabalizes the inletted portion from the factory stock. There's a thread on this site about the process with pics of the results of two. MDT (and others?) make a chassis stock for the Americans.

So, I thought Boyd's made one too, but per their response yesterday - they only make a left-handed stock for the right handed actions.

I had a laminated Boyd's stock in the cart twice, the picture shows a left handed - left action stock, but the fine print says right handed action.

I sent them an email on their help address, and they confirmed that the stock would be for a right handed action - only, no left actions at this time.

Anybody have the link to the thread on here?

Last edited by AH64guy; 01/24/18.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Picture links are broke, but there's some good info in the thread

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...8672/rar-fiberglass-stocks-done-with-pix

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by AH64guy
Originally Posted by pointer

So, I thought Boyd's made one too, but per their response yesterday - they only make a left-handed stock for the right handed actions.

I had a laminated Boyd's stock in the cart twice, the picture shows a left handed - left action stock, but the fine print says right handed action.

I sent them an email on their help address, and they confirmed that the stock would be for a right handed action - only, no left actions at this time.

Anybody have the link to the thread on here?

Wow, that's screwed up! I've been contemplating buying a Boyds and worked up the specs a couple times, but haven't pulled the trigger yet. When I just did it again, the following shows on the bottom of the page. Not doubting what they told you, but the times I've contacted their CS I've been less than impressed with their knowledge of their products.

"CLASSIC, RUGER® AMERICAN CENTERFIRE, SHORT ACTION, DETACHABLE BOX MAGAZINE, LEFT HAND STOCK, LEFT HAND ACTION, FACTORY BARREL CHANNEL Barrel Dimensions: Point A = 1 5/32" and Point B = 23/32" Center to Center of Action Screws: 4 3/64" Over All Length of Part: 31.5" Comes with Boyds' 1/2" Rubber Recoil Pad. It is your responsibility to confirm the dimensions of your firearm with the supplied dimensions of our part. ATTENTION CUSTOMERS : We will provide the front and rear lugs, front and rear takedown screws, triggerguard with screw, and the front magazine tab catch. All finished parts have been CNC inlet to Boyds' House Action. Variations may exist from firearm to firearm, minor fitting may be required to get that perfect fit to your firearm. Natural cosmetic imperfections such as minor knots, burls, heartwood, mineral lines or minor cosmetic fill work are not considered a defect and will be subject to the 12% restocking fee ."

The ones in their "Rapid Fire" sale section are described as "LH stock, RH action" though.

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

A
AH64guy Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
A
I wonder if it has to do with the laminated pattern I was looking that - maybe that is a factor in the availability.

I'll check again, with different patterns.

Thanks!

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by AH64guy
I wonder if it has to do with the laminated pattern I was looking that - maybe that is a factor in the availability.

I'll check again, with different patterns.

Thanks!

Maybe? The ones I spec'd out were the "Classic" pattern. I've been keeping an eye on their "Rapid Fire" sale section, but so far no LH short actions have shown up. Gotten a couple good deals there in the past.

I've also thought about the Magpul Hunter stock that also converts it to use the AICS magazines but they're only available in RH. I think it would only require a new bolt notch on the correct side to work and then fill in the old notch.

I bought a LH Stainless American Compact from CDNN awhile ago cheap ($299) for a beater/bad weather gun and hate to put a lot more $$ in it.

Charter Member

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

A
AH64guy Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
A
It's my error,

The Ruger American in question is a Predator model, and Boyd's does not offer a left hand, left action in the Predator...yet.

They do offer stocks for the Ruger American non-Pred models.

I naively assumed all Ruger American short actions were equal, apparently not.

I had Magpul Hunter on a short action 700, I wasn't overly impressed with it. The barrel fit was good, the action sat tight, but the forearm had way more flex than I expected- it was easy to get it to twist on the bipod and contact the barrel.

IC B3

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I picked up a LH Predator also and would be interested in looking at stock alternatives.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
What's the difference between the Predator and the regular American other than barrel contour? If that's all, then a little sanding on the Boyds barrel channel would take care of that.

Charter Member

szihn

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I can't think of anything else that could be different. We're talking about a $400 rifle here. I don't see Ruger making different actions for the Predator.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
A
AH64guy Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig
I can't think of anything else that could be different. We're talking about a $400 rifle here. I don't see Ruger making different actions for the Predator.

I am thinking the same, maybe it's time for a show and tell. I'll see if I can get pictures of the Pred action loaded on here this weekend. If somebody had a standard short action we could get a comparison.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I just happen to have one...

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Boyds has a LH stock for the Predator in their Rapid Fire section for $77. It's a LH stock RH action though. BUT for the price (50% off) a guy could cut a new bolt notch on the correct side and fill the other with epoxy pretty easy.

Charter Member

szihn

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
tmitch is the stock for RAR short action? Would want to remove RH cheek piece, and looks like you would have to buy a trigger guard and mag latch for $30.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Not sure I can answer all your questions, would be best to call them. It only says it's for a Predator..... wasn't that only in a short action? I think all Boyds American stocks come with a TG. The cheek piece is on the right side for a left hand shooter. (Pic of the stock below)

[Linked Image]

This is the description that's on the bottom of the page if you were to spec an identical one out.

PRAIRIE HUNTER, RUGER ACF PREDATOR, LEFT HAND STOCK, RIGHT HAND ACTION, SHORT ACTION, DETACHABLE BOX MAGAZINE, FACTORY BARREL CHANNEL Barrel Dimensions: Point A = 1 1/64" and Point B = 3/4" Center to Center of Action Screws: 4 3/64" Over All Length of Part: 31 1/2" Comes with Boyds' 1/2" Rubber Recoil Pad. It is your responsibility to confirm the dimensions of your firearm with the supplied dimensions of our part. ATTENTION CUSTOMERS : We will provide the front and rear lugs, front and rear takedown screws, triggerguard with screw, and the front magazine tab catch. Boyds Gunstocks recommends bedding the front and rear lugs.. All finished parts have been CNC inlet to Boyds' House Action.

Last edited by tmitch; 01/26/18.

Charter Member

szihn

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Well went to buy it but not going to pay $82.73 to ship ! Which is why I cant stand UPS to ship to AK!
USPS is around $18 and faster! Will call Monday

SHIPPING - UPS Ground $82.73 for 1 stock!

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by kk alaska
Well went to buy it but not going to pay $82.73 to ship ! Which is why I cant stand UPS to ship to AK!
USPS is around $18 and faster! Will call Monday

SHIPPING - UPS Ground $82.73 for 1 stock!

Wow, that's screwed up!!

Charter Member

szihn

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

583 members (160user, 10gaugeman, 1lessdog, 1minute, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 53 invisible), 2,553 guests, and 1,319 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,475
Posts18,471,521
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.