Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I have a custom 243 with a match chamber. On my 5th loading my reloads won’t chamber. Apparently the brass flows forward and a guy needs to inside neck ream at a certain point, depending on your chamber dimensions. I believe blowing it out to an ackley or just doing a 6 creedmore would solve the problem. If I had to build a new rifle tomorrow given the choice of a 6mm Creedmoor, 243, or 243 ackley I would choose the Creedmoor because of case design.

GB1

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Jerseyboy
I doubt it. The short neck is the culprit.

Partly it is, but the shoulder angle is quite different with the AI, directing the gas into the neck instead of the throat.

Last edited by alpinecrick; 01/25/18.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
6 SLR solves the shoulder angle and no fire forming...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I own 6, 243's all of them are AI's. So some of the issues are already resolved with the price of dies, which cost about the same as a box or 2 of bullets over and above the cost of SAAMI dies.

One of the points often brought up is barrel life, a good argument. What is often forgotten is that a large percentage of shooters need to forget about that issue as they would be hard pressed to put a thousand rounds down range in the next 10 years. Secondly I've yet to see any proof that SAAMI chambered cartridges are easier on barrels than AI's, some reports to the contrary.

Another issue is you have to fire form. Of the 30 - 40 AI chambered rifles I have, I have yet to find one that didn't shoot well enough fire forming brass that I wouldn't take on the most important hunt of my life. I took at very nice 180 class mule deer the day after taking delivery of a custom 280 AI after sighting in with 6 shots fire forming 145 Speer flat base bullets.

Factory ammo, kind of a moot point as AI chambers done properly will shoot just fine. Although I couldn't prove that point as I haven't shot 40 rounds of factory ammo in the last 50 years out of a center fire rifle.

Velocity issues. Hell there has been many arguments over 300 Savage, 308, 30-06 to fill all the pages of the campfire. You want a 22" 243 and want to maintain the same velocity as a 24"- 25" 243, the AI is your answer.

Lots of to do about nothing.

Now lets talk about that dreaded belt on belted magnums, and to really pizz off the anti AI folks. I don't have to trim brass.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223

Is the 243 SLR and 243 Imp 30 degree the same cartridge?

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
IC B2

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I just built one. Just starting to develop loads with the new Hornady eld 103 grain, RL26 and lapua brass. Part of the Ackley thing is the tinkering one does to develop brass etc. Lord knows folks turn necks, sort brass , use Vern junkie machines to check bullets etc etc, all seeking that tiny edge in performance. I can see both working just fine."....some guy came up with the term rifle looney.......man was that spot on. Goodshot

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R
6mm Wasp, pretty much has this subject covered. Rio7

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by 6MMWASP
I own 6, 243's all of them are AI's. So some of the issues are already resolved with the price of dies, which cost about the same as a box or 2 of bullets over and above the cost of SAAMI dies.

One of the points often brought up is barrel life, a good argument. What is often forgotten is that a large percentage of shooters need to forget about that issue as they would be hard pressed to put a thousand rounds down range in the next 10 years. Secondly I've yet to see any proof that SAAMI chambered cartridges are easier on barrels than AI's, some reports to the contrary.

Another issue is you have to fire form. Of the 30 - 40 AI chambered rifles I have, I have yet to find one that didn't shoot well enough fire forming brass that I wouldn't take on the most important hunt of my life. I took at very nice 180 class mule deer the day after taking delivery of a custom 280 AI after sighting in with 6 shots fire forming 145 Speer flat base bullets.

Factory ammo, kind of a moot point as AI chambers done properly will shoot just fine. Although I couldn't prove that point as I haven't shot 40 rounds of factory ammo in the last 50 years out of a center fire rifle.

Velocity issues. Hell there has been many arguments over 300 Savage, 308, 30-06 to fill all the pages of the campfire. You want a 22" 243 and want to maintain the same velocity as a 24"- 25" 243, the AI is your answer.

Now lets talk about that dreaded belt on belted magnums, and to really pizz off the anti AI folks. I don't have to trim brass.

+1

Could not have said it better.

I would add that a 6 Remington is a long action cartridge.

G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
I think a much better cartridge would be a 358 Winchester AI necked down to 243. GD

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by greydog
I think a much better cartridge would be a 358 Winchester AI necked down to 243. GD

I think a .280 AI necked down to .264 would be even better. grin

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Actually the the .270 Win. necked up to 308 would be the prefect do all cartridge.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by super T
Actually the the .270 Win. necked up to 308 would be the prefect do all cartridge.

Dang, why didn't I think of that!

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by magshooter1
Sounds like I might be better served by selling one of my .243's and building another 6mm Rem. Or maybe rebarrel my 70 Lightweight to 6mm. I've got a factory 70 Featherweight in 6mm but my daughter has laid claim to it. Decisions, decisions, hmmmm.

I'm going to build a light weight 6mm Rem with a 7.5" twist barrel. I can't find any real measurable differences in it and the 6mm Creedmoor. I don't think an AI modification would gain me any significant velocity.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig
Sounds like I might be better served by selling one of my .243's and building another 6mm Rem. Or maybe rebarrel my 70 Lightweight to 6mm. I've got a factory 70 Featherweight in 6mm but my daughter has laid claim to it. Decisions, decisions, hmmmm.

I'm going to build a light weight 6mm Rem with a 7.5" twist barrel. I can't find any real measurable differences in it and the 6mm Creedmoor. I don't think an AI modification would gain me any significant velocity.

What action length are you building the 6mm Rem on?

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by keith
Originally Posted by 6MMWASP

+1

Could not have said it better.

I would add that a 6 Remington is a long action cartridge.

I've owned a dozen or so rifles in 6MM over the past 50 years from Rem/Rug/Win, all short actions, have shot bullets in the 75 to 100 range and have never seen how a longer action would have made a noticeable difference.in performance.

I still have my first 6MM, a 660, and my last, a 20" 700 with the X'd out 6MM REM MAG barrel stamp.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
I recently did a 7t 243ai and have been very happy! with out pressure signs I’m getting 3175 with the 105 hpbt using rl26.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Hondo64d
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig

What action length are you building the 6mm Rem on?

Hondo, It's a custom barrel for my R8 Blaser. I'll use a 7x57 megazine insert that will give me plenty of room for stretching out the big, long ones.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by alpinecrick

No, the SLR has the shoulder/neck junction squeezed backward to make a longer neck emerge.

The Imp 30 has the shoulder blown out but maintains the short neck.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
Originally Posted by alpinecrick

No, the SLR has the shoulder/neck junction squeezed backward to make a longer neck emerge.

The Imp 30 has the shoulder blown out but maintains the short neck.

Thanks Dakota! I was wondering.....

Casey

Having said that, MAGA.
P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
I can trim cases after dark in my basement. I cannot fireform that way. AI chambers are a Kool-aid drinkers champagne. They create more real world problems than they solve.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

547 members (1beaver_shooter, 1Longbow, 10gaugeman, 1moredeer, 17CalFan, 1234, 54 invisible), 3,200 guests, and 1,214 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,663
Posts18,534,077
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.