Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I didn't think the SWFA 3-9X42 HD with MQ reticle was too fine for hunting. My 49 year old eyes had no problems finding it in legal light even on the 4X which is as low as I use the scope due to the tunneling on 3X. Tunneling is gone at 4X.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
A couple of points, one you've probably considered, the other maybe not:

Yes, two good points that crossed my mind and people should consider. I guess it largely depends on how you plan on using the scope.

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by wareagle700

Yes, two good points that crossed my mind and people should consider. I guess it largely depends on how you plan on using the scope.

True, I’m not even one to use holdover much at all, but I do like my windage subtensions to be correct at all times for wind and mover holds, and I don’t always use my scope on 9x. Just depends on your use. My biggest thing is that I like to eliminate possible sources of error.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
I didn't think the SWFA 3-9X42 HD with MQ reticle was too fine for hunting. My 49 year old eyes had no problems finding it in legal light even on the 4X which is as low as I use the scope due to the tunneling on 3X. Tunneling is gone at 4X.

That’s why I was wondering what scope models jeffbird was referring to, as they’re certainly not all of equal subtension. The 10x and up are finer reticles than the 6x and 3-9x, for example.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by wareagle700

True, I’m not even one to use holdover much at all, but I do like my windage subtensions to be correct at all times for wind and mover holds, and I don’t always use my scope on 9x. Just depends on your use. My biggest thing is that I like to eliminate possible sources of error.

Jordan
That's why I'm considering the IHR reticle if I choose the 2.5-10 NXS. It would eliminate making that error and I should have time to dial if I had a longer shot than a 200 yard zero would accommodate. Another factor that makes me consider the IHR as a top choice is that much of our hunting opportunity on good bucks is at last light. The fact that the IHR illuminates less of the reticle, makes it slightly better for low light hunting. The choices that illuminate the whole reticle lessen the ability to see the target as well.

It's not really a great choice either way as you are limiting the capability of what the scope could do,no matter what you choose because of the SFP and the choice of reticles.

Last edited by R_H_Clark; 01/30/18.
IC B2

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by jeffbird
Originally Posted by MJSaustin
I'm leaning slightly towards the Nightforce 2.5-10x42 with IHR or MOAR reticle because it seems to check the most boxes. What's this about the reticle being too thin?

Do the VX-5HD and VX-6HD Leupolds have the same tracking issues as the VX3i? What about the Swaro Z5 3.5-18?

As a backup I may consider the SWFA series but they look really big, I should mention I've only owned one 30mm scope (an original VX-6 2-12 that I sent down the road).

Planning to order the rifle tomorrow morning...

I have both of those reticles and they are far easier to see than the SWFA SS MilQuad or MOAQuad reticles, which I also have.

(Sold the MilQuad as it was my least favorite of all of those.)

The IHR is a nice reticle if you like a plain duplex, but the MOAR provides more useful information.

The IHR reticle only has the center crosshair illuminate, which is nice in very low light.

The one nice feature of a SFP reticle is that turning it down to 2.5 makes it bold, which I use occasionally on pigs in heavy cover areas, and thinner on the higher magnification for more open longer shots.

Which version of the MQ and MOAQ? They're not all equivalent. Scope models?

Was a SWFA SS 6x fixed purchased about three or so years ago.

M
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
I just became aware of the Tract brand of scopes - anyone have experience twisting dials on the Toric model? The 2-10x42 looks like the right size and a zero stop turret is included...

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Yes

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

603 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 1234, 10ring1, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 54 invisible), 2,613 guests, and 1,252 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,800
Posts18,477,464
Members73,944
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.