Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
The only one negative thing I read, one guy said in brush, they sometimes start to come apart before hitting a critter.

Any bullet can be deflected by a twig or branch. The way these Raptors are made, I could see how it wouldn't be good for them to start coming apart too quick.

My brief experience with a .308 Raptor on a chest shot hog was pretty impressive. DRT. Petals whacked the spine which wasn't in line of flight. Chest shot hogs often run.

DF

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 01/29/18.
GB1

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
I can see it DF, you've been hanging around the African Hunting Forum a lot here lately, you need to pack up that 375 of yours, get on over and bust a Buffalo, I know just the guy who can set you up! wink

Trump Won!
E
EdM Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I am guessing because most folks that are shooting a 375 H&H are steering it at the larger critters that tend to be taken inside a couple of hundred yards. That said, I did roll two bull elk with a 375 H&H using the 260 gr Partition. Even then the long shot of the two was 50 yards.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by gunner500
I can see it DF, you've been hanging around the African Hunting Forum a lot here lately, you need to pack up that 375 of yours, get on over and bust a Buffalo, I know just the guy who can set you up! wink

I ain’t the hoss you are, couldn’t keep up with you, walking miles thru brush and heat.

My bud that killed the 41” Zim buff told his guide he didn’t want an old man hunt. Well he didn’t get an old man hunt, worked his azz off. He’s more fit and a few years younger than I am. I probably need to stay on this side of the great water, kill a few WT’s and hogs, maybe an occasional Nilgai or pronghorn and live vicariously thru you guys.

DF

E
EdM Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
E
IME hunting Africa ain't hard. Long walks on relatively flat land. Next year I will head to Burkina Fasa so we shall see.

IC B2

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

I ain’t the hoss you are, couldn’t keep up with you, walking miles thru brush and heat.

My bud that killed the 41” Zim buff told his guide he didn’t want an old man hunt. Well he didn’t get an old man hunt, worked his azz off. He’s more fit and a few years younger than I am. I probably need to stay on this side of the great water, kill a few WT’s and hogs, maybe an occasional Nilgai or pronghorn and live vicariously thru you guys.

DF

LOL, You can do it and take your Wife for the time of her life, the guy I'm speaking about can give you any kind of hunt you're physically able to do.

Women being the emotional creatures that they are, my Wife cried at all she took in from that trip, she still talks about it several times weekly. smile

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by EdM
IME hunting Africa ain't hard. Long walks on relatively flat land. Next year I will head to Burkina Fasa so we shall see.

You bet Ed, I'm looking at Botswana for '19, lotta walking in the long grass, will have to be relative slow going, if for nothing but safety alone.

Trump Won!
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D

DF

LOL, You can do it and take your Wife for the time of her life, the guy I'm speaking about can give you any kind of hunt you're physically able to do.

Women being the emotional creatures that they are, my Wife cried at all she took in from that trip, she still talks about it several times weekly. smile

I'm surprised she went and had such a great time. You just never know.

DF

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
I think it changed her life some DF, very educational and enlightening for a smart chick, bet your's is too. smile

She's going to Bots with me, she can't wait.

Trump Won!
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
That's a great story, gunner. I'm happy for you both. She did look very happy in the photos.

You gotta get her started shooting. Get her off that tractor and teach her how to reload. You can do more shooting and the Bushhogging can wait.

I look forward to your account of the Bots trip. What y'all going after this time?

DF

IC B3

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
That's a great story, gunner. I'm happy for you both. She did look very happy in the photos.

You gotta get her started shooting. Get her off that tractor and teach her how to reload. You can do more shooting and the Bushhogging can wait.

I look forward to your account of the Bots trip. What y'all going after this time?

DF

LOL, no, I.m the only one that gets to fool with gunpowder and diesel fuel. laugh

Buff and Leopard, and any other exceptional animal that may show, want to hit em hard and fast so I have time to take her East to the beaches of Botswana.

Trump Won!
E
EdM Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by EdM

You bet Ed, I'm looking at Botswana for '19, lotta walking in the long grass, will have to be relative slow going, if for nothing but safety alone.

My wife has done South Africa twice, us in 2002 and us and the three boys in 2012 (that included Botswana and Zimbabwe). She had a great time on both. She went along my SE Alaskan brown bear hunt and it kind of ended the fun for her. Now we do a trip for "us" and a trip for me... grin

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by EdM
Originally Posted by EdM

My wife has done South Africa twice, us in 2002 and us and the three boys in 2012 (that included Botswana and Zimbabwe). She had a great time on both. She went along my SE Alaskan brown bear hunt and it kind of ended the fun for her. Now we do a trip for "us" and a trip for me... grin

LOL, that will ALL work, before we returned home I knew it would be Wifey asking me "so when are WE going back to Africa?" smile

Trump Won!
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
The only one negative thing I read, one guy said in brush, they sometimes start to come apart before hitting a critter.

Any bullet can be deflected by a twig or branch. The way these Raptors are made, I could see how it wouldn't be good for them to start coming apart too quick.

My brief experience with a .308 Raptor on a chest shot hog was pretty impressive. DRT. Petals whacked the spine which wasn't in line of flight. Chest shot hogs often run.

DF

We talked about the CEBs awhile back.

I was involved in some water buffalo culls awhile back and got to try some different bullets because im not going to waste an opportunity like that. Basically I shot the hell out of Australia with some different bullets in my .458. CEB Safari Raptors were the AR rage but sort of long of hype and short on field time. I did have high hopes for them. I also took 450 grain A-Frames and 350 grain TSXs. The last were partly to provide some recoil relief if needed and partly to see what would happen if you drop two or three weights from normal. Barnes was on-board with the idea. There was also a question in my mind about how far a .458 could be pushed into .375 land. Quite far it turns out. The one day when I was shooting with others we got 81, but I had single solo day bags of 28 and 29.

The CEBs are quite good at close range clear shots but that's about all they are good for. Stretch the range past powder burn range and they slow down faster than a bag of leaves. Hit any foliage and the bullets break into 7 pieces and if you hit the buff with the big chunk its just blind luck. I had several petals stuck to the hides where they cut just enough to break the surface of the skin. Follow up shots are a fact of life on buffalo and more so when you're trying to kill the whole herd. On balance, they can shove them up their ...........................well you get the picture. Put the hype up there too.

The lighter than normal TSXs were a pleasant surprise. Killed better than a .375, and kicked about the same. In the very narrow niche of culling buffalo with body shots to the extend that recoil accumulates its a very real option. There was a dramatic drop-off in expansion when the range stretched out, but at the close range worked well. I doubt there would be any advantage over more traditional weights at traditional short ranges on buffalo. I'm not the biggest fan of Barnes that ever lived, but there is a place for them and buffalo is it.

The A-Frames do what they always do; expand to right around 2X no matter what the range and hit like an invisible sledge hammer. Still the one to beat.

Life begins at 40. Recoil begins at "Over 40" Coincidence? I don't think so.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
70: Did you try the CEBs with the plastic tip inserts. I have a friend who is an airline pilot and he too, went on a big cull hunt "down under" and I believe also used CEBs. Good report and good to know TSXs and Swifts worked as advertised or better. J

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
jorgeI

I have some tips, but they couldn't be used on a .458 with standard M70 mag length.Or if they could be seated deep enough for length there wouldn't be any room left for powder. Now that I converted to Lott it would work with Win Mag cartridges and tips I suppose, but there are plenty non-novelty bullets and frankly I don't owe CEB anything. Making a 7 piece bullet into an 8 piece bullet wont fix the Achilles heel.

I use the tips on 235 gr ESPs in the .375 H&H and have had some luck turning a .375 into a 300 for trajectory with those. Time on game is limited though, just 1 deer and 1 bear. One observation is that you wouldn't think that one deer could bleed so much but the other thing I noticed that same shoulder shot deer sure ran a long ways bleeding like that. The bear did go straight down, and was laying in a blood-puddle. I might play around with them some more, but there are other light bullets. The other thing is a 300 also makes a real good 300 so playing around making a .375 into one is just a game.

Last edited by Model70Guy; 01/30/18.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks. I tried them with my Double when they first came out and they regulated well, but being sort of old fashioned I just didn't care for their "looks" smile . Same bud I mentioned above has had pretty good success with his 450NE George Gibbs DR in Africa with elephant and buffalo, but they are just not for me. J

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

I tried the CEB in the 45 ACP on a small hog and was not impressed penetration was not good and I could not tell that the petals did any damage. The 230 XTP penetrated over twice as far and mushroomed perfectly.

I’m not a fan at all. The CEB solid does have my interest.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by jwp475

The CEB solid does have my interest.

They are good solids. There's lots of good solids. On a buffalo hunt the best solids are the ones left home.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Model70Guy
Originally Posted by jwp475

The CEB solid does have my interest.

They are good solids. There's lots of good solids. On a buffalo hunt the best solids are the ones left home.

For a big bore revolver hunt they are excellent, for a big bore rifle I agree.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

148 members (300_savage, 10gaugemag, 257_X_50, 29aholic, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 18 invisible), 1,634 guests, and 898 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,863
Posts18,497,203
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.