Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by nimrod1949
I
Originally Posted by Judman
Whatcha shootin?

Thanks!
It’s a Remington 700 in 7mm SAUM. I stuck it in a high tech specialty’s stock and Atlasworx DBM. For up close I shoot 120 TSX and a magazine in my pocket with 162 Amax for the long stuff.

Uber hunt, thanks for the post!

How’d the little T?TSX do, besides the obvious dead moose? Pass through?

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
GB1

N
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
N
Thanks!
I have a lot of faith in the TSX from .224 and .264 caliber experience. I punched through both front shoulders and it exited. It didn’t drop him but scrambled his lungs he wasn’t going anywhere. I shouldn’t have tried the anchor shot to the antler but on critters that big I like to keep shooting until they’re down. When he locked up in the landing I knew he was done and decided not to waste more meat and just video his final moments.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Steep country there. How does one manage to stick to those hills?

1Minute
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nice !! Lots of good eating right there. "Eat moose---5000 wolves can't be wrong"

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Camel Prairie?
Abandon Creek?
nice bull for this area. my wife's cousin hunted 14 days and never saw a bull . two days after he left a bull like yours walked through our yard! go figure. wolves have decimated our moose. used to have them winter in the yard. have seen 2 in the last 2 years.
congrats on the bull! shoot up hill and close!

Last edited by deerstalker; 01/31/18.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
I'm in the opposite end of the state & it took me 17 years to draw my bull tag. Hunted 27 days & saw 37 moose. Passed twice on a very good bull, probably 46 inches but he was in velvet & I thought I could find him later, never did & ended up shooting a small bull. I probably have 20 minutes of video of the big bull within 30 yds.
Nice photo's & congratulations on sharing your story & hunt with your wife. They are great eating if you get one before the wolves get them first!!

Dick

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Congrats - that sure looks like a nice moose to me!! Wish we had a big enough population here in Oregon to hunt them, probably not in my lifetime though but sure would like to hunt them sometime.
Again congrats on a wonderful & tasty trophy smile

"Rather hunt Mule deer than anything else"
"Team 7MM-08"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Outstanding account!
Major kudos for dispatching him where you could get the truck to him too. smile

Thanks for sharing.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
moose is hands down my favorite meat. and the younger bulls are terrific flavor. i was going to apply for a cow tag but the population crash nixed that.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by deerstalker
moose is hands down my favorite meat. and the younger bulls are terrific flavor. i was going to apply for a cow tag but the population crash nixed that.

I agree, never had anything better than Moose backstrap.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by huntsman22
What knife did you take him apart with?

My knife #1 (Ingram style skinner). One of these days I’ll get caught up and make myself a new one or two. The other guy had a Havalon and knew what he was doing! I learned better methods for the gutless process.

I used one of your knives on my BC Bull but the guide had a Havalon and the cheap throwaway box cutters they really work well. The cheap box cutter for cutting thru the hide and the Havalon for the delicate work. Your knife worked well but I finally had to get out of the way and let the Pro get it done. Gutless is the way to go on big animals.

I've always been different with one foot over the line.....
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
[Linked Image]
I didn’t post their picture but a young couple that I had been running into who were also moose hunting stumbled into me after I shot him. They gave me a ride back to my pick up. And then they helped butcher him. We had him quartered and loaded in less than an hour and a half. It was a blessing to have the help!

He was definitely big enough to shoot that close to vehicle access!

Great job! Kinda like a McDonald's drive through for a really big patty!

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Congrats! Sounds like a fun hunt.

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
N
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
N
Thanks everyone!

He is great table fare. Unfortunately they’re once in a lifetime freezer fillers and the wife got her’s in 2011. Now to convince the kids they want to shoot one and hope for drawing luck.

Deerstalker: I was up the Joe not Unit 1. The wife got her’s in Unit 1 but the quality and quantity I feel has declined there.

1minute: There are some places you just don’t look because you don’t want to do something stupid like shoot a bull there. It’s steep enough that I ran across the goat tag holder for that Unit. We were both looking for our quarry in the same area.

7mm: Thanks for the feedback on the knife.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Great story and pictures, thanks for taking us along! Nice to have that much animal land where you don't have to take him out in pieces-as I'm sure you don't need me to tell you that. Well done, big congrats!

Golden............
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Thanks everyone!

He is great table fare. Unfortunately they’re once in a lifetime freezer fillers and the wife got her’s in 2011. Now to convince the kids they want to shoot one and hope for drawing luck.

Deerstalker: I was up the Joe not Unit 1. The wife got her’s in Unit 1 but the quality and quantity I feel has declined there.

1minute: There are some places you just don’t look because you don’t want to do something stupid like shoot a bull there. It’s steep enough that I ran across the goat tag holder for that Unit. We were both looking for our quarry in the same area.

Thanks everyone!

For just filling the freezer, Idaho allows you to get 1 bull and 1 cow in your lifetime.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Outstanding, and great pics, congrats.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I helped my mom get her bull and my step-dad get his cow this past season in SE Idaho.

They know some folks with a bunch of land along the Snake River bottom, near the confluence of the North and South Forks, and there are a LOT of moose around there. They both happened to draw in the same area. It was a kick in the butt. Huge animals.

I've not gotten any of the meat from them yet, but I'm excited to do so. My step-dad drew his bull tag from the same area a few years ago. Amazing meat! These moose hang out in alfalfa and corn fields until the hunt. More marbled than any wild meat I've ever seen.

I learned that a 357 loaded with 235gr WLN in a revolver would be effective for moose hunting in close cover....

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Great trophy and lots of good eating.
Congrats big time

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Maybe it's my PC, but it's so steep some of those trees actually grow sideways.

1Minute
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

539 members (10gaugeman, 1badf350, 10Glocks, 219 Wasp, 01Foreman400, 160user, 50 invisible), 2,254 guests, and 1,056 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,664
Posts18,512,923
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.