Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Info Needed - Custom "Frank Wells" M70 Win - 458 Lott caliber

Hello All,

I just purchased a Custom rifle built by a maker that I know very little about. That maker being, Frank Wells, AZ. ? ? I'm hoping someone here can fill me in with details.

The rifle is built on a 1955 Model 70 Winchester Long action, w/ 24" barrel, w/ barrel-band hooded front sight, w/ muzzle brake. It is set-up for detachable scope mounting in standard position, (w/ EAW rings) or for forward Scout Rifle mounting. (w/ standard rings) It has a 3-Leaf fold-down Rear Sight that is mounted in the center of a Picatinny Rail. The rail is anchored at the front to a forward recoil lug that is integral to the barrel.

Any info/history about Frank Wells, or his custom rifles, would be appreciated, especially If you know of his contact information. I would like to contact him with questions bout this rifle.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

You never pay too much for something, you only buy it too early.
GB1

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Nothing about the maker but my gosh that is a beautiful rifle!

Semper Fi
E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
All kinds of info if you'll google Frank(NOT Fred)Wells Custom Rifles.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Hello EZEARL

Thanks for the reply.

Been there - done that - That's the first thing I did.

I only found a lot of pictures from "unrelated" links like "pinterest", and I can't seem to find any details about the man himself or History of his work.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Hello all,

Here is an update.

I had a chance to examine the muzzle brake today, and YES its removable. (see pictures) and its done in a very unique way. Its "recessed" into the barrel-band front site.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I also found a surprise when I opened the grip cap compartment. A selection of different color fiber optic inserts for the front site.

[Linked Image]

And in preparation for a shooting outing tomorrow, I installed a 1x20mm Nikon Scout Rifle Scope.

[Linked Image]

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I believe you will find some references to him in PO Ackley's books.

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
pretty rifle.

-Jake

Small Game, Deer, Turkey, Bear, Elk....It's what's for dinner.

If you know how many guns you own... you don't own enough.

In God We Trust.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
PM sent

IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
frank was a custom rifle maker living in prescott arizona, had a place on gurley, made rifles as the story goes for all kinds of famous people around the world. Nice guy, at least to me, i attended grade school around the corner from his shop. One of the famous stories about him is the gull wing mercedes he had, use to park it in front of the shop. I think a family member took it apart and never put it back together. He had a son named Hunter that was well known for various reasons, including a little ranching. I have memories of rounding up cattle with him. Frank passed away but i think mayble his wife rachel is still alive. She developed a reputation for gun engraving.
Long time ago, say the 60's i took a little w german hawes 357 mag derringer into his shop with broken plastic stocks. Rachel cut a piece of french imported wood for it, about ten coats of oil, and charged me i think 15bucks. Tried years later to get her to sign the stocks, but then she was well known and wouldn't do it.
Right around the corner from wells was the marquette if i spelled it right barrel manufacturer. He was well known in his time too.
I believe well's son in law, who had worked on rifles for me, became head of the gunsmithing program at yavapai college.
Hunter was killed young in a plane crash in alaska.
You have a real vintage treasure in your hands. I remember stories about frank making rifles at the time of the cold war for high ranking russians too, like i said, he had a heck of a reputation.
I don't remember the son in law's name, but checking with someone in the gunsmithing school at yavapai college, might lead you to more information. As a kid i use to hang around his shop and the barrel maker, not realizing how well known they really were.

Last edited by RoninPhx; 01/23/18.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
i think his obituary will give you a lot of info:
https://www.dcourier.com/news/2006/jan/18/legendary-gunsmith-dies-at-86/
from the obit:
PRESCOTT VALLEY - Fred Wells, the legendary gunsmith revered around the world for the custom dangerous-game rifles he produced in his small Prescott machine shop, died Sunday at the Veterans Affairs Medical Center. He was 86.

Those who knew him remember him as an artist whose craft some eclipsed but never replaced with modern standards and methods.

"There is no one in the country right now that does what he did," said Danny Pedersen, who for eight years apprenticed with Wells before opening his own Prescott shop, Classic Barrel and Gunworks, at 339 Grove Ave.

"To me, it is the end of an era," Pedersen said. "Nothing went out of that shop unless it was as good as he could make it."

His widow, Rachel Wells, a first-class engraver whose intricate designs graced many of Wells' rifles, said Tuesday that her husband produced no more than four rifles per year. Depending on the details of design, they sold to an elite international market of big game hunters for between $15,000 and $20,000 each.

Around 20 years ago he built five rifles for the Baron of Bavaria, one of which the King of Sweden purchased for $85,000.

Rachel smiled as she recalled the baron, whom she described as "kind of stuffy," landing in a private Leer jet at the Prescott Airport to pick up his one-of-a-kind rifles.

Despite the attention his artistry attracted, Wells performed his craft for its own sake, Rachel said. Though revered as "one of the old masters," he never joined the American Custom Gunmaker's Guild, though three years ago the organization formally recognized his contribution to the craft and awarded him honorary lifetime membership.

"They had him stand up and he couldn't say anything and that was kind of rare for him," Rachel said.

Rube Wells, one of eight children Wells fathered, described his father and his family as "doers."

"He lived it 24/7," he said. "He was constantly designing, drawing and sketching. I think it encompassed most of his life."

Life at the Wells house revolved around an industrious spirit, he explained. Growing up, Rube said he and his family were always at work, engaged in hunts, house-building and refurbishing hotrods, another passion Wells held dearly.

He said his father instilled the virtue of honesty, but with even more emphasis, he taught his children the value of a job well done.

"That was most important," he said, "to do a job as good as you could and then do it better.

"His guns were like his family," he added. "If you wanted a customer to come pick it up, you didn't do a good job."

Wells contributed to the teaching of more than just his own children, though. In the early 1970s, he was instrumental in establishing the gunsmithing program at Yavapai Community College.

Its present director, Alan Lohr, worked with Wells for around two years in the mid-1990s before Wells recommended him for the position. He recalled a few words of wisdom Wells gave him before he began his directorship.

"He said, 'Don't get stuck on yourself. Don't keep it a secret. Share with the students what you know. If you don't, somebody else will.'"

The gunsmithing program now attracts applicants from across the country and around the world. Twenty-five to 30 students are enrolled full-time in the two-year program, and it graduates around nine annually. Of eight such programs in the nation, it ranks informally as at least No. 2 and likely No. 1, Lohr said.

"Those nine graduates are hirable," he said. "It's a very intense program and it takes a lot of commitment to get all the way through. It's preparing them for the world."

Rachel said her husband would want people to remember him as a good gunsmith, a good craftsman and a kind man.

"He influenced a lot of peoples' lives in the gun game," she said, taking a break from her work engraving a custom pistol. "Any young gunsmith came to him, he'd go out of his way."

Last edited by RoninPhx; 01/23/18.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Neat looking rifle. The recessed brake is interesting. Nice idea, but wonder if it compromises the front site?

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by RoninPhx

Right around the corner from wells was the marquette if i spelled it right barrel manufacturer. He was well known in his time too.

I believe you're thinking of Marquardt.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
"..... Frank passed away but i think mayble his wife rachel is still alive. She developed a reputation for gun engraving.
Long time ago, say the 60's i took a little w german hawes 357 mag derringer into his shop with broken plastic stocks. ...."

Hello RoninPhx,

You need to read your own post. As per your posted obituary above, "all" the information in that post is about FRED WELS - not Frank Wells. Frank Wells is alive and well. I spoke with him yesterday. He is no relation to Fred.

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Beautiful rifle!

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by buckstix
[quote=RoninPhx]"..... Frank passed away but i think mayble his wife rachel is still alive. She developed a reputation for gun engraving.
Long time ago, say the 60's i took a little w german hawes 357 mag derringer into his shop with broken plastic stocks. ...."

Hello RoninPhx,

You need to read your own post. As per your posted obituary above, "all" the information in that post is about FRED WELS - not Frank Wells. Frank Wells is alive and well. I spoke with him yesterday. He is no relation to Fred.

[/quote
looks to me as i had a brain fahrt. confusing the two. Frank is tuscon based, i think.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by mathman

I believe you're thinking of Marquardt.

never could spell his name right. I think all his equipment ended up down by sierra vista. Crossfireops told me once he helped move the stuff down there.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Hello RoninPhx,

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, Frank Wells used to live in Tucson, but a few years ago moved from there and now lives in the Pinetop/Lakeside area.

Although he didn't specifically remember my rifle, He did identify it as his work. He estimated it was built between 1988 - 1995 and would have had a 2 year build time.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Hello all,

Thanks for the replies.

Well, it took only a week of searching Ebay to find a Nikon ProStaff 2x-7x32mm scope, and a set of EAW rings.

With both scopes being Quick Detachable, it is easy to switch scopes as the situation dictates.

1x20mm in the Scout Rifle position
[Linked Image]

2x-7x32 in the standard position
[Linked Image]

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

207 members (10gaugemag, 2ndwind, 338reddog, 450yukon, 1_deuce, 45_100, 35 invisible), 2,259 guests, and 1,106 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,386
Posts18,469,701
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.