Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by GunGeek
Well there's really no way to definitively know. The VAST majority of armed robberies happen without a shot fired, so it's more about probability. But demeanor and body language can tell you a lot. There certainly are no guarantees either way.

When they pull out a deadly weapon and use it to commit a felony, that’s all the body language needed.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
For the guys saying that he’d intervene if they thought he would actually shoot someone...

What thing would happen to convince you of that? Because he’s already brought a gun into the store and pointed it at people. The next step seems to be mirder, at which point it’s a little late to be wondering if he’s gonna shoot someone.

Spot-on. Lots of folks carry a crystal ball so they can see into the future and know what the bad guy is going to do.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jwp475
Well there's really no way to definitively know. The VAST majority of armed robberies happen without a shot fired, so it's more about probability. But demeanor and body language can tell you a lot. There certainly are no guarantees either way.

When they pull out a deadly weapon and use it to commit a felony, that’s all the body language needed.
Okay then...you're good to go.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
For the guys saying that he’d intervene if they thought he would actually shoot someone...

What thing would happen to convince you of that? Because he’s already brought a gun into the store and pointed it at people. The next step seems to be mirder, at which point it’s a little late to be wondering if he’s gonna shoot someone.

Spot-on. Lots of folks carry a crystal ball so they can see into the future and know what the bad guy is going to do.

Spot on

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

Bingo.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

yeah I wouldn't be waiting around to see if he starts shooting people. I'd pop him before that.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
For you fellas in the "once my family is out, it's not my problem" crowd, I just can't agree with you. Yes, first and foremost I'm getting my family to safety. After that, I'm doing what I can if it is a situation where I am able to do so. I couldn't live with myself if someone else was killed and I didn't do anything to stop it. Once that guy pulled the weapon I'd have no problem popping him. I'm sure as hell not going to try and read his body language and guess what his actions will be after he's already pulled the gun.

My boys both work at the local grocery store and sure would hope that someone would do the same for them in a similar situation.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - Ronald Reagan
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by RyanTX
For you fellas in the "once my family is out, it's not my problem" crowd, I just can't agree with you. Yes, first and foremost I'm getting my family to safety. After that, I'm doing what I can if it is a situation where I am able to do so. I couldn't live with myself if someone else was killed and I didn't do anything to stop it. Once that guy pulled the weapon I'd have no problem popping him. I'm sure as hell not going to try and read his body language and guess what his actions will be after he's already pulled the gun.

My boys both work at the local grocery store and sure would hope that someone would do the same for them in a similar situation.

Couldn’t agree more.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Demeanor and body language.... Like when he shouts and points a gun at you?

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Amen!

IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I am an old guy and I agree with Blue. However I must add that anyone who has a safety on a self defense pistol ( unless all you ever use is a 1911) is foolish.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Exactly what body language are you looking for?

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
My family comes first. If my wife and the girls are with me as soon as they are out of harms way I may get involved, or I may remain and become a professional witness

If it's just me and the girls. Well, I'm with blue, I'm gonna feel terrible, but I'll feel terrible while holding my girls

I totally get the"I would hope someone would intervene if my loved one was there mentality. I would hope so too

But, how do I care for an 18 month old and 3 year old and engage the badguy

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
For you fellas in the "once my family is out, it's not my problem" crowd, I just can't agree with you.

That’s fine. My family is my responsibility, not yours.I’ll protect them in a manner that I believe necessary.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

Exactly what body language are you looking for?

If someone is brandishing a firearm with their finger on the trigger they’ll get at least one shot off if you wait for them to act before you react.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T

You walk back into the fray.

No shots fired yet.

You engage the guy. He fires back and kills the young girl who was frozen with fear and didn't leave.

So, now, her blood is on whose hands? Reality is, you have just escalated a situation and that escalation resulted in an innocent dying. Think you aren't in for a crapload of trouble? Legal, financial and mental?

Montana MOFO
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by gitem_12
My family comes first. If my wife and the girls are with me as soon as they are out of harms way I may get involved, or I may remain and become a professional witness

If it's just me and the girls. Well, I'm with blue, I'm gonna feel terrible, but I'll feel terrible while holding my girls

I totally get the"I would hope someone would intervene if my loved one was there mentality. I would hope so too

Or, how do you care for an 18 month old and 3 year old if you are dead??

Montana MOFO
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
I guess it would depend on my mood that day or the wife's mood.

It might help to know the law, is it a stand your ground state or a duty to retreat state.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by viking

It might help to know the law, is it a stand your ground state or a duty to retreat state.

In this case I’m not sure it would matter. The test is are you are other in immediate danger of great bodily harm or death. Their were others that we’re definately in immediate danger of great bodily harm or death.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by gitem_12

And that is why a standard answer can't be given that would apply to every situation. I was answering for me in that situation. That's why I said "I'm doing what I can if it is a situation where I am able to do so." If I was in your shoes, I certainly wouldn't leave my small children outside while I ran back inside. In the end, I would do everything I could based upon the situation.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - Ronald Reagan
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

58 members (10Glocks, 907brass, Algotguns, Akhutr, 358wsm, 10 invisible), 1,422 guests, and 795 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,243
Posts18,485,926
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.