Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Bristoe
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

Fun Fact: Great, great granddad was married to a Brandenburg. Her uncle founded the town Brandenburg, Kentucky.

It's interesting to learn of how many linages trace back to Kentucky. Texas has quite a few families that can trace their linage to Kentucky from a long time ago. Michigan has a *lot* of families who moved there for work after the second world war. I have family in both states.

In Hell I Was There, Elmer Keith states that his grandparents are from Cynthiana, Kentucky, which is next door to where I'm living now.

It seems as if after Daniel Boone blazed a trail through The Cumberland Gap, people began moving west through it and would stay in Kentucky for a generation,...maybe two,..then move further west. The Cumberland Gap was one of the primary paths across the Appalachian Mountains and it just happened to be in Kentucky, so it caused a lot of people to flow into the state,..for a while, anyway.

there is some stuff refering to a member of my family being one of the first white people to go west of the cumberland gap. I do know they were in kentucky certainly in the early 1800's. One of them married one of boones kids. I do a lot of internet sleuthing and have found graveyards back there full of people with my last name.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
GB1

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Used to not be all that uncommon to find small old family cemeteries scattered all over the countryside while wandering around out hunting . Most often they were hidden from view grown over with weeds, honeysuckle vines, blackberry and wild rose briars and saplings especially if they were located where crops were later planted regularly.and farmers just circled around them year after year.

Families break-up, marry into other families, direct bloodlines die off, move off to other areas of the country. Over time they develop more actual ties to their new area than they have/had in their birth area and wind up getting buried there either by their own choice or that of a surviving spouse and/or heir's wishes. Even with modern day large well kept local community and church cemeteries family members still wind up being buried far and wide.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

563 members (21, 160user, 257Bob, 257 roberts, 1lessdog, 1_deuce, 54 invisible), 2,566 guests, and 1,226 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,368
Posts18,527,313
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.