Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
What's the COAL on the PRC? Will it fit in a 2.83" length action?

Bb

GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member

What's the COAL on the PRC? Will it fit in a 2.83" length action?

The max COAL is 2.955". I'm converting a Kimber 8400 WSM to 6.5 PRC. I tested dummy rounds loaded to that length in the WSM and the PRC cartridge feeds and ejects really well, better than the WSMs in fact, and I like that I can get 300 fps over a 6.5 Creedmoor and that I don't need 4350 to handload for it since it's next to impossible to find that powder. I'm going to try a Proof CF barrel on this swap assuming that Proof is ok with the profile.

Offering FFL 07 & SOT services in NW Montana
[email protected]
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Dogshooter
Originally Posted by joshf303
.... 50/50 chance of regaling us with your experience.

LMAO..... but a 100% chance of another dumbass reply....

The odds around here that someone here has actuall, viable, reliable experience..... with the rifle, cartridge, optic they’re bashing.... is WAAAAAAY worse than a coin flip man.....

Somebody asked why Hornady wouldn’t just standardize the 6.5 SAUM instead of developing the PRC. I didn’t bash the cartridge at all, just explained why Hornady would not bring the 6.5 SAUM to market.

Heck, with the players involved with the PRC’s development, it wouldn’t surprise me in the least if Hornady and its collaborators wanted to bring the 6.5 SAUM to market but knew they couldn’t, so they decided to use what they learned from the Creedmoor to make a cartridge with the same performance as the SAUM but without the name.

Last edited by seattlesetters; 01/17/18.

What could be a sadder way to end a life than to die having never hunted with great dogs, good friends and your family?
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by seattlesetters
Originally Posted by Dogshooter
Originally Posted by joshf303
.... 50/50 chance of regaling us with your experience.

LMAO..... but a 100% chance of another dumbass reply....

The odds around here that someone here has actuall, viable, reliable experience..... with the rifle, cartridge, optic they’re bashing.... is WAAAAAAY worse than a coin flip man.....

Somebody asked why Hornady wouldn’t just standardize the 6.5 SAUM instead of developing the PRC. I didn’t bash the cartridge at all, just explained why Hornady would not bring the 6.5 SAUM to market.

Heck, with the players involved with the PRC’s development, it wouldn’t surprise me in the least if Hornady and its collaborators wanted to bring the 6.5 SAUM to market but knew they couldn’t, so they decided to use what they learned from the Creedmoor to make a cartridge with the same performance as the SAUM but without the name.

Yes they used the RCM instead of the SAUM because of its stellar sales performance...

I get what you’re saying, I’m sure there is a number of reasons why. But I’d prefer they used the SAUM and just used the PRC acronym on it instead of SAUM, avoiding the “market failure “ SAUM. Maybe that wasn’t possible so it’s based on the RCM , both have their advantages.

All the banter aside I think the PRC will be outstanding.

Last edited by rosco1; 01/17/18.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
How would the PRC handle a partition or a Barnes ttsx?

And I'm a fan of amax, bergers and scenar for deer.

On the fence with the PRC and SAUM or just stick my 260 rem and 6.5x55.

Would not mind another rifle

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ribka

No experience with the PRC (yet) but don’t see why it wouldn’t shoot the hell out of those bullets. It is designed to be a more powerful Creedmoor, which means it is designed to shoot everything well and be easy to load for.

Really looking forward to see what it can do with real hunting bullets like the 143 ELD-X, 142 ABLR and especially the 127 LRX. The 120 TTSX should be devastating in this cartridge, as well. Maybe 140 AB and 130 TSX.

Last edited by seattlesetters; 01/17/18.

What could be a sadder way to end a life than to die having never hunted with great dogs, good friends and your family?
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by ribka

And I'm a fan of amax, bergers and scenar for deer.

On the fence with the PRC and SAUM or just stick my 260 rem and 6.5x55.

Would not mind another rifle

I'm with you. But by the time I can afford a custom rifle, there will be so many PRC vs. SAUM threads, it should be an easy choice. But by then, I'll have to consider the 17 other 'Awesome crazy bestest new kid on the block' cartridges.

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery - Thomas Jefferson
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
There is a good video on YT with George explaining the PRC and it’s specific purpose, might be worth a look,
I’ll see if I can find the link. I wouldn’t in any way call the SAUM a failure and I think Remington is stupid for not releasing a 6.5 GAP 4s and beating the prc to market. That’s a whole different thread in itself. The gist of what George says is that the prc was designed to get the 14x class bullets to run at 3150 max for the PRS crowd and the prc does that really well. But as a hunting cartridge he says that the 6.5 SAUM has more horsepower for the heavy bullets. If you want commercial ammo offering then I’d get the PRC in a model 70 or clone....if you want the extra speed and reloading “ain’t no thang” I’d go SAUM. ALSO the SAUM will feed better out of a mag. The prc will work too but I think it requires the modified mags. (Or something to that effect).

I think they both have their place, but I’m a 6.5 fan. Eric at blue mountain has a great article on his blog regarding the SAUM and ft/lb at distance and it ain’t no slouch. I wonder why I’d still have a belted mag...

I got 100 new 6.5 Remington Mag brass if you want the OG and something that isn’t the “latest” craze...assuming your not “belt bias”

If at first you don't succeed; shoot, shoot again
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

663 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 007FJ, 16penny, 67 invisible), 3,313 guests, and 1,344 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,483
Posts18,471,832
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.