Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by DesertMuleDeer
Random question but I think applicable: do the gas engines do better up North in the cold where many of you live? I remember every time it got down around zero when I was a kid, my mom's diesel Oldsmobile would start gelling and not run. For some reason, she wouldn't consistently plug it in.

in cold country you want number 1 diesel its a thinner winter fuel that gels less and at lower temps ..standard fair in northern Canada October to March.

norm

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by norm99
Originally Posted by DesertMuleDeer
Random question but I think applicable: do the gas engines do better up North in the cold where many of you live? I remember every time it got down around zero when I was a kid, my mom's diesel Oldsmobile would start gelling and not run. For some reason, she wouldn't consistently plug it in.

in cold country you want number 1 diesel its a thinner winter fuel that gels less and at lower temps ..standard fair in northern Canada October to March.

norm

That - or at least visit stations that blend a certain percentage of #1 into the mix (usually about 30/70 here) to prevent gelling.. It's also wise to dump in some diesel fuel treatment to help engine health overall.

As to those old Oldsmobiles referred to in DMD's post above, GM nearly ruined the entire diesel market with that pos diesel-converted-gas 5.7L gas engine... Gawd, those were awful. Most refused to start when temps got below freezing. I know several men around here who'd had one of those and literally parked 'em around Nov. 15th and brought 'em back out in mid-April so they'd be usable..

Today's engines are literally night and day difference from those of old..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
Should be 5 yr, 60k on gas too. 3/36 is bumper to bumper I think

Yep, you are correct.

I had to double check the website.

Ben, does Cummins have a 'good' emissions setup?

I guess the 6.7 isn't bad but I've heard of tank heaters failing and sensors going haywire.

Good engine otherwise.

Any of the newer diesels with def and variable vane turbos can be problematic depending on how you drive them. Short trips with no load are the worst, if you get it on the highway with a load frequently they seem ok. Those emission systems need to get hot to regenerate and clean themselves. Our local fire department and ambulance service have had a heck of a time with all the brands, nothing like going to a fire and have the truck go into limp mode because the exhaust particulate filter is clogged. Besides in the winter the gas engines heat up in half the time.

"Life is tough, even tougher if your stupid"
John Wayne
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
Should be 5 yr, 60k on gas too. 3/36 is bumper to bumper I think

Yep, you are correct.

I had to double check the website.

Ben, does Cummins have a 'good' emissions setup?

I guess the 6.7 isn't bad but I've heard of tank heaters failing and sensors going haywire.

Good engine otherwise.

if you don't want to use def.......then delete your diesel......I think just about any gasser will go 250,000.....with proper maintenance.....bob

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Another point on the new diesels is they don't allow you to idle them. Well the sausage-head that came up with that plan doesn't spend many months a yer in sub-zero temps.

Do not feed the bear!

White Bear sometimes treads on thin ice...
IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by White_Bear
Another point on the new diesels is they don't allow you to idle them. Well the sausage-head that came up with that plan doesn't spend many months a yer in sub-zero temps.
Can't speak for the other makers, but my 6.7 can idle for 15 mns at a time, then a simple press of a button on the fob gives me another 15..

It was -15F here a couple hours ago. I warmed it up for only 10 mns and when I got in it was already blowing warm air..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Redneck
Can't speak for the other makers, but my 6.7 can idle for 15 mns at a time, then a simple press of a button on the fob gives me another 15..

It was -15F here a couple hours ago. I warmed it up for only 10 mns and when I got in it was already blowing warm air..

you can idle it , but it could result in clogging up your DPF if you do too much idling......things need to be HOT when you go into regen

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by sdgunslinger

you can idle it , but it could result in clogging up your DPF if you do too much idling......things need to be HOT when you go into regen

Not sure what this is?

I can idle my 2017 6.7 for as long as I want to.

The DPF comes on periodically, but only at running speeds.

That sumbitch'll knock the MPG's down when it's running too. frown

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
they can give you trouble when its subzero .....things just dont warm up like they do at hotter temps

keep in mind , that DPF is catching carbon particles anytime the pickup is running , eventually it will need cleaning or replacing ( if you keep the pickup long enough)

chore tractors with dpf are a problem up here on the tundra , running a short time at subzero never really gets the motor fully warmed up

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
they can give you trouble when its subzero .....things just dont warm up like they do at hotter temps

keep in mind , that DPF is catching carbon particles anytime the pickup is running , eventually it will need cleaning or replacing ( if you keep the pickup long enough)

chore tractors with dpf are a problem up here on the tundra , running a short time at subzero never really gets the motor fully warmed up

That DPF on my big tractor burns hottern the hinges of hell.

If it's overcast you can see the exhaust pipe glowing. I can smell it when it's on as well.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R

True - but I don't let it idle too long anyway; it's just not needed.. At least once a week I take it on the freeway and 'blow it out', so to speak.. laugh

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
As far as gelling fuel,
Old "normal" diesel (pre-93 or 94) would gell around -5F.
Post 2007 USLD <15 ppm sulphur can gelled at +17 if the sulphur is low enough.

All untreated of course.

A little K1 kerosene will help pour point and add sulphur which will also help. But, be sure your engine can handle the sulphur, pre-2007, mostly.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Looking at Ford's website I see their is an 'engine idle shutdown' option.

I'll shut the sonuvabitch off when I want, WTF?!

Speaking of idle, the farm's '11 6.7 has 72k miles. 1166 idle hours and 3600 total engine hours. Hell we've used the aftermarket hydraulics to run a Silencer squeeze chute, I bet the Ford engineers would really scratch their heads at that one....

I had trouble with the fuel/water separator icing up last winter(not the pickups fault...) but so far this year it has been trouble free.

Try and watch the weather and if it's predicted to get really cold, like -30F or colder, I will mix in a bottle of Power Service fuel supplement. Other than that just straight #1 fuel and it's good to go.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'll shut the sonuvabitch off when I want, WTF?!

This! laugh

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Who comes up with this chit, I mean seriously?!

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
Government.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by rainshot
Government.

Yep.

Sad but true.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Who comes up with this chit, I mean seriously?!

Mine has that new My Key programming on it.

That stuff is insane!

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Sam, I have a 2012 F250 crew lariat, short bed 6.2

I like it, I can pull 15-16 mpg empty, I've pulled it down as low as 8, large enclosed trailer in wind. I went from 6.4 diesel F250 to this gas 6.2 and I'm glad.

Oil change intervals are on par with the diesel but the cost is wayyyyy less. If I do have engine troubles (I haven't) But if I ever do, the gas will be cheaper to work on. The service costs, the added weight of the diesel, the cold weather concerns... It's got enough power for me, no regrets.

Something clever here.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I don't even want to know WTF that is.......grin

Actually the "My Key programmed" does show up when you run a systems check on the old '11.

I don't what the hell it is.

Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

598 members (1234, 007FJ, 17CalFan, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 61 invisible), 2,426 guests, and 1,242 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,659
Posts18,493,524
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.