-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well Aaron has a $22,000,000. a year paycheck for throwing a football and Danica's mother didn't raise no dummy. She could drive or let Aaron do the driving. The problem with all the NASCAR hype is that people use that same NASCAR spacing out on the streets and Interstate with no thought what so ever for the reaction time that it would them to control their own car.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by kroo88
Originally Posted by whackem_stackem
Your right Sawbuck. There is more talent in NASCAR now then there ever was. The racing is so much better and the cars are better.
In the good old days there would only be a dozen cars left on the tack by the end of any race and two or three on the lead lap. Most cars dropped out because of mechanical faliure. Nowdays only a couple will have a failure. There was only 3 or 4 drivers that had a chance of winning a race. Now there are 20 drivers with a good shot at winning.
I've never been a huge Jimmy Johnson fan but you have to give him credit for being in the top three drivers to ever climb into a cup car. It's amazing how him and Chad can make a car that's a slug at the start of a race and by mid race have the fastest car on the track.
The kids coming in are unbelievably talented. Look at Chase Elliott. At his age he is a much better driver than is father was. Ask his dad, he'll tell you.

Don't know how much racing you've been around,but to call today's NASCAR as the best ever is a huge reach at best. There are some talented drivers but the racing is pathetically boring. The tracks are mostly one-groove, the cars so aerodynamically sensitive that the racing is unending follow-the-leader. In the name of safety the "car of tomorrow" was introduced in 2008. The outspoken drivers all called it a POS. NASCAR has declined ever since.

I have been involved with professional racing for over 50 years.
Your talking points are BS.
Most tracks have more grooves than ever. Progressive banking??? Most tracks last year they were running three wide for most of the race. That's exciting!
I know it is a sin to criticize the King but the fact is he padded his wins with Saturday night dirt track wins. Back then any NASCAR event counted as a win. He would haul his cup car out to some podunk track and beat up on locals. Pull out his bogus wins and he would barely be in the top five.
The cheating back then was rampant. That is why there was only a couple cars that had any chance of winning.
Case in point,
Bill Elliott's 1985 Winston 500 win at Talladega Superspeedway where he came back from being two laps down to win with a 1.72 seconds lead. There was no "lucky dog" or wave arounds back then. He was running over 1 second a lap faster than the fastest cars on the track.
As a engine builder and engineer I can tell you the only way someone could do that is to have a illegal car.
Sure, it was a exciting race to watch but it was cheating.
Junior Johnson laughs and brags about the ways he cheated.
Dale Inman is a little more tight lipped but he will give you a sheepish grin and say he doesn't know nothing.
Smokey Yunick was my mentor. Best damn cheater ever.
Herb Nab was very innovative.....
Bud Moore could really dance around the rules too.
The system was rigged back then. Big Bill France could be easily bought off. When one manufacturer would start winning the others would go to him and cry (and slip some money under the table) and the rules would change.
It is almost impossible to cheat now.
Joey Logano had his Richmond win taken away from him because of a rear suspension violation. The truck trailing arm spacer/pinion angle shim mating surfaces must be planar and must be in complete contact with corresponding mating surfaces at all points and at all times.
In Todd Gordon words,
“I’ll start with a short synopsis of what our rear suspension is made up of,” Gordon said. “Our rear suspension has two trailing arm. We call them truck arms because it’s much like out of a mid-60s Chevrolet truck. There’s two 51-inch long trailing arms and two I-beams that come back and bolt to the rear housing. Then there’s a bar we call the track bar that bolts from the chassis on the right to the left-side truck arm. That’s kind of the make-up of the rear suspension that our cars have.

“In order to set the pinion angle — and that’s part of what the ruling was, the pinion mating surfaces — there are pads on the rear end housing that are part of the bolting mechanism. There’s a U-bolt going down over the housing to bolt it together. Where that pad is and the truck arm is, we can put an angled shim in there to change where the drive shaft angle is coming to the rear end. We call that pinion angle.

“What NASCAR found is, the pinion shims and the mating surfaces have to be full contact at all the time. That’s what we violated. On the right-side truck arm at the back of the pinion shim, there was a 32nd of an inch gap. And the rule says it has to be in contact the whole time. It’s unfortunate, it’s not something I thought we’d have an issue with it but it’s part of the system we’ve got.”
So basically they lost a win because there was a 0.03125 gap between the right-side truck arm at the back of the pinion shim.
How many wins from the good ol days would have been thrown out because of such a minor infraction?
Do you think racing today would be better if Kyle Bush and Brad Keselowski were 3 laps ahead of the field with only 10 cars left on the track? That is how it was back in the day.
I have found that most of the people that complain about the racing not being as good as it was are not now or ever have been real fans of the sport or understand the sport.

Music washes away the dust of everyday life
Some people wait a lifetime to meet their favorite hunting and shooting buddy. Mine calls me dad
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
If the racing is so much better than the "good ole days" then why are the stands empty ?

Tracks that have been sold out forever, are now tearing out seats because its embarrassing how few fans they have left.

The puke pack can't buy the fans that big time wrestling has, the IROC style of cars driven by pre puberty age brats, on cookie cutter tracks with every finish under caution is not the racing that race fans care to see. NASCar simply sucks in comparison to the racing most of us grew up with.

Writing here is Prohibited by the authorities.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Your right Sawbuck. There is more talent in NASCAR now then there ever was. The racing is so much better and the cars are better.
In the good old days there would only be a dozen cars left on the tack by the end of any race and two or three on the lead lap. Most cars dropped out because of mechanical faliure. Nowdays only a couple will have a failure. There was only 3 or 4 drivers that had a chance of winning a race. Now there are 20 drivers with a good shot at winning.
I've never been a huge Jimmy Johnson fan but you have to give him credit for being in the top three drivers to ever climb into a cup car. It's amazing how him and Chad can make a car that's a slug at the start of a race and by mid race have the fastest car on the track.
The kids coming in are unbelievably talented. Look at Chase Elliott. At his age he is a much better driver than is father was. Ask his dad, he'll tell you.

Don't know how much racing you've been around,but to call today's NASCAR as the best ever is a huge reach at best. There are some talented drivers but the racing is pathetically boring. The tracks are mostly one-groove, the cars so aerodynamically sensitive that the racing is unending follow-the-leader. In the name of safety the "car of tomorrow" was introduced in 2008. The outspoken drivers all called it a POS. NASCAR has declined ever since.

Most tracks have more grooves than ever. Progressive banking??? Most tracks last year they were running three wide for most of the race. That's exciting!
I know it is a sin to criticize the King but the fact is he padded his wins with Saturday night dirt track wins. Back then any NASCAR event counted as a win. He would haul his cup car out to some podunk track and beat up on locals. Pull out his bogus wins and he would barely be in the top five.
The cheating back then was rampant. That is why there was only a couple cars that had any chance of winning.
Case in point,
Bill Elliott's 1985 Winston 500 win at Talladega Superspeedway where he came back from being two laps down to win with a 1.72 seconds lead. There was no "lucky dog" or wave arounds back then. He was running over 1 second a lap faster than the fastest cars on the track.
As a engine builder and engineer I can tell you the only way someone could do that is to have a illegal car.
Dale Inman is a little more tight lipped but he will give you a sheepish grin and say he doesn't know nothing.
The system was rigged back then. Big Bill France could be easily bought off. When one manufacturer would start winning the others would go to him and cry (and slip some money under the table) and the rules would change.
Joey Logano had his Richmond win taken away from him because of a rear suspension violation. The truck trailing arm spacer/pinion angle shim mating surfaces must be planar and must be in complete contact with corresponding mating surfaces at all points and at all times.
In Todd Gordon words,
“I’ll start with a short synopsis of what our rear suspension is made up of,” Gordon said. “Our rear suspension has two trailing arm. We call them truck arms because it’s much like out of a mid-60s Chevrolet truck. There’s two 51-inch long trailing arms and two I-beams that come back and bolt to the rear housing. Then there’s a bar we call the track bar that bolts from the chassis on the right to the left-side truck arm. That’s kind of the make-up of the rear suspension that our cars have.

“In order to set the pinion angle — and that’s part of what the ruling was, the pinion mating surfaces — there are pads on the rear end housing that are part of the bolting mechanism. There’s a U-bolt going down over the housing to bolt it together. Where that pad is and the truck arm is, we can put an angled shim in there to change where the drive shaft angle is coming to the rear end. We call that pinion angle.

“What NASCAR found is, the pinion shims and the mating surfaces have to be full contact at all the time. That’s what we violated. On the right-side truck arm at the back of the pinion shim, there was a 32nd of an inch gap. And the rule says it has to be in contact the whole time. It’s unfortunate, it’s not something I thought we’d have an issue with it but it’s part of the system we’ve got.”
So basically they lost a win because there was a 0.03125 gap between the right-side truck arm at the back of the pinion shim.
How many wins from the good ol days would have been thrown out because of such a minor infraction?
Do you think racing today would be better if Kyle Bush and Brad Keselowski were 3 laps ahead of the field with only 10 cars left on the track? That is how it was back in the day.
I have found that most of the people that complain about the racing not being as good as it was are not now or ever have been real fans of the sport or understand the sport.

I have to agree. my main problem with the sport today is the changing of rules mid-season. no way busch would have won a title without nascars help. lets wait til sunday and see how many fans they lost when Earnhardt retired. then we'll know what kind offan base they will have this year.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by jimy
...cars driven by pre puberty age brats, on cookie cutter tracks with every finish under caution ...

Really???

IC B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by LeroyBeans
...cars driven by pre puberty age brats, on cookie cutter tracks with every finish under caution ...

Really???

Yea, that's what I thought. It's rare that they finish under yellow, only when it comes after they reach half way on the last lap in overtime. Cookie cutter tracks? Even though a lot of them look the same, they are far from being cookie cutter.

Personally, I think the racing has never been better, especially with the segments and point system.

I'm glad to see them on the track again. I love it more than any other pro sport. It rained here all weekend, so I watched all the racing that was on. The restrictor plate tracks can be a little boring, but this years aero package allows them to pass.

Oh yea, poor Jimmy Johnson........crashed again. laugh

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K

Case in point,
In Todd Gordon words,

Never said one thing about the good-old days. I know boring when I see it. Three-wide racing for the whole race? Unless you're talking about a plate race you've lost your mind.

Tony Stewart couldn't wait to get away from NASCAR bulls*** racing.

I retired from the Johns Manville asbestos pop tart factory in ‘59, and still never made the connection.—-Slumlord
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
The Winston cup was what racing was about, the schitt show you watch now is the big time wrestling of wannabe's, what kind of man could raise not one but two of the biggest hemorrhoid host's in the world as the elder Busch?

I think I would rather floss the neighbors cats teeth, than watch today's version of Iroc racing Daytona 7 1/2 mile race!

You're pretty much on target..............WWF at it's best.

Also, 1st time w/o an Earnhardt in the race since around 1980 or so............and that's sad.

Dale Sr. was the best to ever sit behind a wheel, like him or not.

MM

The King was much better than the Intimidator. Same number of championships and way more wins.

You don't think that the fact that 'The King and Petty Motorsports' spent nearly as much as ALL the other teams combined for many of those years on top had anything to do with those stats do you? Add the local Saturday night wins to your totals and it's really impressive. laugh
IMO, both were pretty good wheel men.

FJB & FJT
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Does Bush pit Keselowski's little gaybutt in this scenario? If so, then yes is the answer to your question.

Last edited by PaulBarnard; 02/12/18.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If the racing is so much better than the "good ole days" then why are the stands empty ?

Tracks that have been sold out forever, are now tearing out seats because its embarrassing how few fans they have left.

The puke pack can't buy the fans that big time wrestling has, the IROC style of cars driven by pre puberty age brats, on cookie cutter tracks with every finish under caution is not the racing that race fans care to see. NASCar simply sucks in comparison to the racing most of us grew up with.

I think more than anything else NASCAR has lost some of its novelty. Beyond that young people aren't watching it and a lot of old timers quit when their favorite drivers retired.

Last edited by PaulBarnard; 02/12/18.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
\

When he could no longer compete against better talent the crybaby took his ball and went home.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I don't understand why anyone would think today's racing is better than 10 - 20 years ago, in today's racing everyone drives an IROC style car, with a different paint scheme,and more places are gained or lost in the pits then during the race itself. Once again the seats are empty, that says it all, ten lap cautions of "debri" on the track, so they have time to get enough commercials in before the race finishes under the mandatory white flag lap wreck.

Last edited by jimy; 02/12/18.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Racing would be so much better with fewer rules, maintain the 3550 lb weight limit and the limit on cubic inches, and the valuable safety "stuff" it is very much needed, trash the restrictor plates and similar restrictions.

Tire size and width should be the only thing that should change from track to track, let the drivers and the crew chiefs figure out how to go fast and win races and not just the luck of the draw, or luck of the crash.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
\

When he could no longer compete against better talent the crybaby took his ball and went home.

I'll take his anti -establishment attitude any day. He wanted to drive the car, not deal with douchebag sponsors, media or fans who couldn't possibly know what goes on behind the scenes.

I retired from the Johns Manville asbestos pop tart factory in ‘59, and still never made the connection.—-Slumlord
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
The above ten times, there is no racing today, it's what pace car team, can change tires fastest throughout the selected number of laps, or until commercial sponsors say that they must get alap or two before we call it a ............win.

Last edited by jimy; 02/12/18.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
\

I'll take his anti -establishment attitude any day. He wanted to drive the car, not deal with douchebag sponsors, media or fans who couldn't possibly know what goes on behind the scenes.

It must have been so difficult for him to have fans that just didn't understand. If I had know that I wouldn't have criticized him.

sawbuck Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Time for the Can Am Duel!

$$$ TRUMP AT THE PUMP 2024 $$$
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Watching racing on TV is getting worse. Watching on a 48" screen in hi def and way to much I'm seeing the cars in a 12" square box while positions, crew chiefs, and graphics take up the rest.
I know the techs love all their fancy gadgets, but don't they know we want to see the damn race?
Somehow I managed to get all the commercials in full screen.

sawbuck Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I usually wait for NBC to take over coverage before getting too bent about it.

$$$ TRUMP AT THE PUMP 2024 $$$
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The cars and the racing might be technically better.

But the segments, the cautions, and the France family suck!

Just look in the stands.

Sean
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

101 members (badwolf, 257 mag, 35, BABore, 10 invisible), 1,425 guests, and 942 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,623
Posts18,474,064
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.