Campfire Regular
1-8x40 ish
heavy German #4 reticle
decent glass
set and forget

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Whats with the upside down reticle preference?

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
R
rovert Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by wareagle700
Whats with the upside down reticle preference?

Just a personal preference thing. I don't like the heavy post on the top. If it were flipped, it would basically be a No. 4 when set to low power. Having a heavy post on the bottom is a more intuitive reticle for me.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
hanco
"One that works like my Leupolds, guess I’ll buy another Leupold"

N2TRKYS
"Leupold already offers what I like in a scope. I've never had any issues with my Leupold scopes."

"I only like a heavy or regular duplex. No mil dot or lighted reticle for me."

It's been asked on this forum why Leupold doesn't fix their issues. Not to single out these members since this same opinion has been expressed several times by other members. If Leupold did need to fix anything,this is why they don't. Why should they when there are many hunters who feel exactly the same way?

Last edited by R_H_Clark; 02/13/18.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Flip that reticle and add MQ or MOA hash marks to the thin side and you'd have something.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Something tidy, lightweight like a leupold 6x36 with some better glass and an etched and proper #4. Option for elev turret a plus.

For sitting under a tree, at a bench etc i like the conquest 3-9x40 #4 fine, size/wt be damned for the price. There too, something tidy like the leupold 2-7x33 with good glass and proper #4 would be a welcomed alternative

Golldammed motion detector lights. A guy can’t even piss off his porch in peace any more.

"Look, I want to help the helpless. It's the clueless I don't give a [bleep] about." - Dennis Miller on obamacare.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
hanco

N2TRKYS
"Leupold already offers what I like in a scope. I've never had any issues with my Leupold scopes."

It's been asked on this forum why Leupold doesn't fix their issues. Not to single out these members since this same opinion has been expressed several times by other members. If Leupold did need to fix anything,this is why they don't. Why should they when there are many hunters who feel exactly the same way?

Agreed, they should complain to Leupold that their scopes are still working fine..

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by scotts94_z28
I would like a SWFA SS 3-9 with a smaller elevation turret with locking feature and zero stop,and capped windage. I like the MQ reticle just fine but I would like a tritium dot for low power low light. Tritium won't add weight.

This

They would sell like hotcakes
One mod with the tritium
One mod with a simple plex or ballistic plex
Who knows maybe they might be on the drawing board for em
I wonder if swfa has ever contemplated em

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Originally Posted by renegade50
I would like a SWFA SS 3-9 with a smaller elevation turret with locking feature and zero stop,and capped windage. I like the MQ reticle just fine but I would like a tritium dot for low power low light. Tritium won't add weight.

This

One mod with the tritium

Agree with these.

I've thought about a NF SHV 3-10x42 but with illumination in place of side parallax knob. Should save some $.

Even called NF about that possibility. No dice on producing just a few.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by renegade50

This

One mod with the tritium

I think SWFA contemplated something for the hunters a while ago but ran into the same issues Doug did when I suggested Cameraland build an exclusive scope similar to this. There were too many folks wanting too many different things. It's quite an investment and I believe SWFA is selling all they produce now. From that standpoint it might be a case of not much to gain, but a lot to loose.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Leupold makes fixed power scopes that are just fine by me.

Whether it be 3X or 4X or 6x36 or 6x42....I have em all...... but dammit
put the windage knob on the left side so it isn't over the loading port ....
and bring back a simple post/picket reticle......

Nothing tricky.....no Xmas tree reticles.....2 knobs is plenty

And bring out a simple scope cover similar to what I made from
a red rubber inner tube.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Leupold M8 6x42 body with SWFA guts, stubby elevation knob. $299.

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
hanco

N2TRKYS

Fix what? I don't have anything on mine that needs fixing. I just don't have the need to keep swapping and trying different scopes when these work. Mine hit where they're suppose to just like my Remington rifles do, contrary to the internet banter.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by N2TRKYS
hanco

N2TRKYS

Fix what? I don't have anything on mine that needs fixing.

Exactly my point.

What kind of shooting do you do with them? How often,and how much? Just curious.

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
hanco

N2TRKYS

Exactly my point.

What kind of shooting do you do with them? How often,and how much? Just curious.

They're on hunting rifles. I hunt with them. I'm sorry you couldn't make them work for you, I really am, but they have been working fine for me since I started using them in the mid 90s. I've have had Vari x III, vx3, and vx3i in rifle and pistol scopes over those years. They do what I want them to do.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
hanco

N2TRKYS

Exactly my point.

They're on hunting rifles. I hunt with them. I'm sorry you couldn't make them work for you, I really am, but they have been working fine for me since I started using them in the mid 90s. I've have had Vari x III, vx3, and vx3i in rifle and pistol scopes over those years. They do what I want them to do.

I'm just curious because of so many reports of Leupold problems. I've got rid of a couple because of inaccurate adjustments. Not to say that they wouldn't eventually adjust but I got tired of sometimes one click being 1/4 inch at 100 and sometimes anywhere from 1-3 inches. I wanted something that I could trust to dial back and forth X number of clicks for X yardage and get the same results every time I dialed the same amount.

I asked you how you use yours because I doubted you were using them like that. I thought it more likely that you had sighted them in and left the adjustments alone except maybe to check every year before season or when using a different load.

I'm glad if they work for you the way you use them. I wanted to know though because it seems that the vast number of complaints are from guys who want to dial yardage and who shoot a lot of rounds,demanding a lot of back and forth adjustment from the scope on a weekly basis.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
In a hunting scope what I want is light weight, clear glass with good coatings, and predictable adjustment. The very best scope I've ever hunted with, bar none, regardless of price, is a Leupold 2.5-8X VX III.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
hanco

N2TRKYS

Exactly my point.

I'm just curious because of so many reports of Leupold problems. I've got rid of a couple because of inaccurate adjustments. Not to say that they wouldn't eventually adjust but I got tired of sometimes one click being 1/4 inch at 100 and sometimes anywhere from 1-3 inches. I wanted something that I could trust to dial back and forth X number of clicks for X yardage and get the same results every time I dialed the same amount.

I asked you how you use yours because I doubted you were using them like that. I thought it more likely that you had sighted them in and left the adjustments alone except maybe to check every year before season or when using a different load.

I'm glad if they work for you the way you use them. I wanted to know though because it seems that the vast number of complaints are from guys who want to dial yardage and who shoot a lot of rounds,demanding a lot of back and forth adjustment from the scope on a weekly basis.

I shoot about 50-100 rounds a year per rifle. I have no reason to dial MY rifles after they're zeroed. I don't need to dial any of my hunting rifles for my hunting area, either.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
1.75-6x42 1" German #4 CDS

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Someone please let me know when the shouting starts.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Page 2 of 11 1 2 3 4 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

655 members (007FJ, 1badf350, 160user, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 1234, 64 invisible), 2,772 guests, and 1,300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,371
Posts18,469,202
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.