Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Bought a pair of the wrangler pants from Target and love them. Used them for a 30 mile backpacking trip in November and was pleasantly surprised with the stretch and breathability. Comfortable enough to wear laying around the house.

GB1

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Prana Zion. Done.

Edit: day late, dollar short.

Last edited by prm; 01/30/18.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
wool whipcord pants when it’s cold (I adjust my lower base layer based on how cold)- the extreme tight weave does a good job with wind and lighter precip

cool weather I like the new military softshell pants made by Patagonia- built in suspenders, nice cargo pockets, fabric breathes well but still blocks wind and light precip effectively

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mtwarden
wool whipcord pants when it’s cold (I adjust my lower base layer based on how cold)- the extreme tight weave does a good job with wind and lighter precip

cool weather I like the new military softshell pants made by Patagonia- built in suspenders, nice cargo pockets, fabric breathes well but still blocks wind and light precip effectively

These?

https://store.glennsarmysurplus.com/pcu-gen-ii-level-5-soft-shell-patagonia-p992.aspx

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
yup Level 5 softshell, if you shop around eBay you can sometimes find them for about half that

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you aren’t needing serious warmth the Eddie Bauer Guide Pro pants are the schit! They are all synthetic, dry fast and are made of a stretchy material that makes climbing less restrictive. They can be had on sale pretty regularly.

http://www.eddiebauer.com/product/mens-guide-pro-pants/12951063

G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I like the Sitka Ascent pants. They are light, stop the wind, and stretch.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
^ I thought I read somewhere that they changed the fit of the Ascents to a trimmer fit- that would be a no go for me if true; I prefer my hunting pants cut a little roomy

G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Don’t know about that. But I will say that I wear poly long or silk long underwear under them and have plenty of room. And I’m not skinny by any means! Mine are my normal waist size regular length.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I've got several pairs of the Guide Pros and find that they are a slimmer fit than some of the other Bauer pants. My biggest gripe is that they only have 5 belt loops. That said, they are everything AlaskaCub said, a great pant for the money!

IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Kuiu attack pants are great for early to late season for me just by layering underneath. Can be a bit warm in early season if putting on a lot of miles, but thigh zips help dump the heat. I can layer up with merino underneath and they can take me into late season if temps conditions aren’t too bad... if that happens I go to my woolrich wool pants or throw a Kuiu Chugah NX pant over the Attacks. Pricey set up for sure, but pretty bulletproof and light weight, especially for a sheep hunt where you’re counting ounces. I have a 32 waist for early season, and a 34 waist for when I need to start layering merino underneath.

God Bless America!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Prana Zion Winter pants are quite nice. A fairly athletic cut but plenty stretchy. These would be great cooler weather travel pants also.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I've been wearing the Sitka Timberline pants for the past three seasons on mid-late season elk and deer hunts in central/ south central and south-western MT. I tend to put on a lot of miles so comfort is a must. The kneepads have been a godsend in the rugged area I hunt. The waterproof/ reinforced knee and seat areas have been great when kneeling or sitting in the snow or damp, wet dirt, grass etc; no leaks. I was a little skeptical about the durability when I bought them but after three full seasons and a lot of miles with the occasional scrambling up/ down and over rocky terrain and deadfall, in good and bad weather, they have held up great and would not wear anything else.

We have enough youth, how about a fountain of SMART???
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dancing Bear
Going on a sheep hunt. While not the toughest hikes in the world, I would like to wear something a little better than the BDU bottoms
and Cabelas Microtex 6 pocket pants I usually wear.

I would like to get a couple of recommendations for useful mountain style pants please. Likely something with a little stretch.

Thanks in advance,
Gary

Hey, Pdx boy here's your pants.... "Sitka Timberline in Optifade Open Country". Last year I made the change after 25 years plus hunting military m65 pants to Sitka. I bought 3 pairs after trying my first Timberlines..Very tough pants, beyond comfortable, lightweight yet warm. If you're not afraid of the price. I predict these will be yours.

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
My favourite mountain pants are the Sporthill Expedition for colder weather, and the Kuiu Attack for warmer weather.

Jordan: I see a lot of guides in AK wearing KUIU. My Sitka clothing seems to be similar. You agree? or is there something one has over the other.

“Molon Labe”
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yeah, quite similar in function and design, and individual preference in features, fit, and camo are really the only things that set them apart, IMO.

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Beaver10
Going on a sheep hunt. While not the toughest hikes in the world, I would like to wear something a little better than the BDU bottoms

I would like to get a couple of recommendations for useful mountain style pants please. Likely something with a little stretch.

Thanks in advance,
Gary

Hey, Pdx boy here's your pants.... "Sitka Timberline in Optifade Open Country". Last year I made the change after 25 years plus hunting military m65 pants to Sitka. I bought 3 pairs after trying my first Timberlines..Very tough pants, beyond comfortable, lightweight yet warm. If you're not afraid of the price. I predict these will be yours.

I ended up with KUIU Attack pants for cooler weather and First Lites for warmer weather. I agree the Sitkas are good too. They all seem to cost about the same. They are very comfortable.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Based on this thread I picked up a pair of the Wranglers at an outlet store near here for $19.99. I'll get another pair.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yeah, quite similar in function and design, and individual preference in features, fit, and camo are really the only things that set them apart, IMO.

Appreciate the assist J, thought I may need a Guide CDS Jacket.

“Molon Labe”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Beaver10

Thanks in advance,
Gary

I ended up with KUIU Attack pants for cooler weather and First Lites for warmer weather. I agree the Sitkas are good too. They all seem to cost about the same. They are very comfortable.

Good choices too.

“Molon Labe”
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

545 members (12344mag, 1234, 10Glocks, 16penny, 10gaugeman, 153, 69 invisible), 2,341 guests, and 1,271 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,536
Posts18,472,786
Members73,939
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.