Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
dale06 Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
Anyone ever had large trees transplanted in a yard. Large being pine trees 10-12 feet tall. Or deciduous trees with a trunk 4-5” diameter.
If so what’s your experience on survival and what’s a tree like that cost, planted?
I see these large tree spades on the backs of trucks moving some very large trees.

Thanks

NRA Patron

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
yes you can transplant that size of tree using a tree spade at the right time of year

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've done it with backhoe. 24" bucket. A couple of peach trees.

Also moved 36ft of holly bush hedges. And some overgrown gardenia bushes.

All successful.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Don't pine trees have a tap root that makes them hard to transplant past a certain size?

Imagine a corporate oligarchy so effective, so advanced and fine tuned that its citizens still call it a democracy.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
You ought to talk to a tree nursery, they handle those questions all the time.

The place I worked owned the spade and we mostly were planting donated trees so I can't help on the money question. IIRC we used to stick with 2-3" trees with a 44" spade. I'd guess a 60-70% survival rate. A lot depends on the soil and prep and the follow up watering etc. Bigger trees need a bigger spade which I have never run personally.

Years later we hired a big (over 100") spade to move some 6-8" trees. The survival rate was excellent but we definitely babied those trees for a couple of years after moving them.

We all know advertising works, we just don’t think it works on US!
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Depending on the tree I’d charge you for front yard easy access $400-$500 for a 24” box common tree.

Obvious it would be significantly less if I was landscaping your whole front yard.

Your diameter requirements would require a 36”-48” box tree which could be into thousands dollars depending on species and availability.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I've planted some 20'+ spruces and 25' maples. Trees must be dug while dormant and I let the nursery keep them alive thru spring to make sure they put on spring growth. They have to grow or die in spring so let the nursery take that chance. Once proven alive and growing after dug, then take delivery. Stake them with wires to keep them from blowing over in a wind storm. Water them religiously for two years.

LOL
D
dale06 Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
Thanks for the replies guys.

NRA Patron
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by slumlord
gardenia bushes.

Takes me back a long time. One of my uncles home had a pair of large gardenia bushes on either side of the side walk next to his front door. Ahhhhhhhhh the smell of those blossoms.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Plant in late October/November prior to the ground freezing...that has been my secret to transplantation success. And add bone meal to the root base...

IC B3

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Originally Posted by Borchardt
Don't pine trees have a tap root that makes them hard to transplant past a certain size?

I don't know about all varieties of pine trees but cedar trees are like that.

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
I'm always amazed that nurseries promote planting trees in the spring instead of the fall. Of course it's all about immediate gratification and selling plenty of fertilizer, root hormones, etc. to go with the trees. Years ago I transplanted a lot of small hardwoods like dogwood, redbud, red maple, and ash in the fall getting a rootball only as bit as I could lift into a wheelbarrow. Most of the trees had about thumbsize trunks, but if you transplant properly they will grow fast. The only tree I considered a failure was because I put a red maple in too dry a place. I pulled the maple up and put an ash in the same hole and it thrived.

It's simple. Transplant in the fall soon as the leaves fall. get as big a root ball as you can. Plant the tree and fill spaces with dirt, and water till the tree is standing in mud - this will remove air pockets in the soil and provide a good watering. If it's on a slope build a slight dam around the low side to catch runoff water. This is important-cut about a third of the limbs off of the tree so that the root system is not overtaxed the following spring.

If you have the luxury of time, find the tree you want to transplant and in spring cut the roots as deep as you can with a shovel around the perimeter of the rootball and let it go through the summer adding more feeder roots within the rootball. move it in the fall. Still cut a third of the limbs off.

OP asked about large trees but I thought I'd post this since it was foolproof for me. I only transplanted native wild trees instead of ornamentals.

Increasing my post count so people will buy stuff from me
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by immature
I'm always amazed that nurseries promote planting trees in the spring instead of the fall. Of course it's all about immediate gratification and selling plenty of fertilizer, root hormones, etc. to go with the trees. Years ago I transplanted a lot of small hardwoods like dogwood, redbud, red maple, and ash in the fall getting a rootball only as bit as I could lift into a wheelbarrow. Most of the trees had about thumbsize trunks, but if you transplant properly they will grow fast. The only tree I considered a failure was because I put a red maple in too dry a place. I pulled the maple up and put an ash in the same hole and it thrived.

It's simple. Transplant in the fall soon as the leaves fall. get as big a root ball as you can. Plant the tree and fill spaces with dirt, and water till the tree is standing in mud - this will remove air pockets in the soil and provide a good watering. If it's on a slope build a slight dam around the low side to catch runoff water. This is important-cut about a third of the limbs off of the tree so that the root system is not overtaxed the following spring.

If you have the luxury of time, find the tree you want to transplant and in spring cut the roots as deep as you can with a shovel around the perimeter of the rootball and let it go through the summer adding more feeder roots within the rootball. move it in the fall. Still cut a third of the limbs off.

OP asked about large trees but I thought I'd post this since it was foolproof for me. I only transplanted native wild trees instead of ornamentals.

Good post.

Large trees are big money so you want to make sure they are actually alive. Even a cut christmas tree looks alive for a while! You need to let the nursery hold them long enough to guarantee that they are GROWING.

LOL
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Yeah I’ve done a bunch of 9-10’ Skip Laurels for a hedge and a dozen or so weeping cedar, spruce, etc in the 10-12’ range. I didn’t use a backhoe and instead dug the holes and manhandled the SOB’s in place myself.

I’ve had 100% success in everything I planted because I water the hell out of them for first year.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C

The best time to plant a tree is ........30 years ago.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
In answer to your pine tree tap root question: Yes, they have long tap roots on young trees; I've never dug up an older tree. I've transplanted 250 ponderosa pine trees on my property. The trees were all seedlings with tap roots in the 18-30 inch length. My survival rate is about 20%. I don't water the trees. They are all in or at the edge of an existing ponderosa forest.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. Albert Einstein
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

👍😁
Originally Posted by cisco1

The best time to plant a tree is ........30 years ago.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Seems like a lot of effort for little success.

Originally Posted by Boise
In answer to your pine tree tap root question: Yes, they have long tap roots on young trees; I've never dug up an older tree. I've transplanted 250 ponderosa pine trees on my property. The trees were all seedlings with tap roots in the 18-30 inch length. My survival rate is about 20%. I don't water the trees. They are all in or at the edge of an existing ponderosa forest.

"Maybe we're all happy."

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I’ve good luck with Live Oaks. I don’t know if they will grow where you live. The big one is 20 yrs old, smaller on is ten yrs old. Probably 2 feet tall when they were planted.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Almost anything can be moved if it's the size of a pencil.

LOL
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

608 members (160user, 10ring1, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 1minute, 12344mag, 65 invisible), 3,030 guests, and 1,271 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,482
Posts18,490,236
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.