Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
This thread is moving along fast. This one of the few topics I feel like I know a thing, or two about. I'll be back as soon I roil up my pant legs, and find tall rubber boots.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by DryPowder
I've bought more than one Jersey Bull in my lifetime as a bucket calf so I could eat him later and still be able to sell a good calf. I'm not saying that's the best but it's pretty damn cheap eating with free grass and 30 to 60 days worth of grain. grin

The best tasting and chewing home raised beef I ever butchered was a full blood Jersey steer. The worst was a Charolais/Angus cross, it was tough and tasteless. A feedlot man in the mid-west told me that Holstein graded 90% choice, but didn't convert feed economically. Right now we are eating on an Angus/Brahman cross that broke a hind leg in the corral. Our adult kids and their spouses and kids all like it. I say it is ok for grass fed, it was fat enough. Low cholesterol beef is not to my taste.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I ate this today

[Linked Image]

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by Judman
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig
Originally Posted by SBTCO
The best I've had has been grass fed Texas Longhorn.

Grass fat cattle is not as good as those finished on grain (corn).

Agreed. Far as breed goes I think it depends how they were raised/finished/processed more than breed

Maybe, between the best beef breeds.

But there is not enough grain in the world to finish a holstein, or longhorn, let alone a jersey, to equal a grass finished Angus or hereford in tenderness or flavor.

There are a lot of beef breeds out there other than the traditional Old English breeds. Some with brahma blood. Some the "double muscled" breeds developed to satisfy the "lean beef" market. None of them butcher out with tenderness or flavor of angus/hereford/shorthorn.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by dvdegeorge
I ate this today

[Linked Image]

Sorry George, but that is just gross. That is what I trim from my steak or roast before cooking.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by CowboyTim
This ones for those of us that know the difference, what's your favorite breed of cattle for beef? I know Black Angus gets all the marketing cash, for me though it's always been a toss up between a good Shorthorn or a Hereford. Could just be the way we finish them, but they seem to get a little better marbling. Could also be how they cross, most of the steers from Dad's place are half dairy anyway.

I could be biased though, just polished off an inch thick T-bone(Shorthorn) for lunch and it was really good.

IMO you're exactly right. My family started out back in ye olden tymes with Shorthorns and then Herefords started being introduced into the herd. I remember my Uncle HATED Angus...they were exotics. Then they crept in and now that's all my family raises, pretty much.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Brangus

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
DVD- They snuck some beef in your steak!

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I agree with grain/corn fed being more tender, but damn if it isn’t pretty bland.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Gelbvieh

Even better when they are brushed and pampered daily by a 4H girl.

good stuff

IC B3

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
BEEF = NEBRASKA

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by MadMooner
I agree with grain/corn fed being more tender, but damn if it isn’t pretty bland.

We make sure they have access to plenty hay(or grass) and corn both along with clean water, right up to the time we put a bullet between their eyes. Dad has always said that they tend to tste better if the rumen is healthy and working right.

Mauser Rescue Society
Founder, President, and Chairman

I don't always shoot Mausers, but when I do...I prefer VZ-24s.

jdi do píči
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've gotten to the point I can't stand feed lot beef anymore. Something about it (fat composition?) that just coats your taste buds in two bites, and nothing but something acid will bring them back.

On Wednesday, I'll be picking up my freezer bull. Not steer, bull. Grew up on lean meat, and still prefer it. Grass fed, finished on alfalfa hay with a little bit of corn. Hung for three weeks. As close to moose as I've found. Half of it going to employees for their (late) Christmas bonus.

I've had grass fed beef that was not fit for consumption, tough and off-flavor, even a hint of rancidity (unsaturated fats?).

Sic Semper Tyrannis
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
This is not a bad choice from a growth perspective.

http://www.thecattlesite.com/breeds/beef/69/santa-gertrudis/

How good the beef tastes and chews has a lot to do with when its butchered, how its fed prior to butchering, how quickly and well its processed, and how good the cook is...... laugh

It's official. I missed the selfie deadline so I'm Maser's sock puppet because rene and the Polish half of the fubar twins have decided that I am.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ μολὼν λαβέ
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Leanwolf
Whatever comes from McDonalds. Hard to beat a Quarter Pounder with Cheese & Fries.

When I was a kid, me and my brother worked the pens, scale and alleys at the local cow sale every week. The McDonalds buyer only bought the cheap stuff. Cripples, prolapses and cancer eyed cows. Things have changed since then, but I still have a hard time imagining all those cancer-eyed cows turned into quarter-pounders.....

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Nebraska
BEEF = NEBRASKA

You do a good job of keyboarding with those hooves!
grin

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I had a chance to hunt late season whitetails in Nebraska this past December. There were 5 of us in camp.I took enough elk steaks for everyone and the others brought Nebraska corn fed beef. Everyone agreed that my elk steaks were tastier and more tender than those New York Strip beef steaks.
I think some of the responses here are from people that raise a certain breed of cow and would not say a bad word about them no matter how they they tasted.Of course if they didn't think that way, they would be raising something else.

I don't buy much beef as mostly I eat elk ,deer,or pronghorn, but I raised some in my younger days. The last beef I bought probably 10 years ago was an angus. It was fed for 120 days on ground corn and wheat. It was just what the farmer had ready to butcher right then as he had angus, cross bred herefords, herefords and few rones there.He ate the same beef and wasn't too concerned about the breed. A lot of farmers around him that raised beef,bought his beef instead of eating their own that went to the sale barn.

I don't like straight grass feed beef .In my younger days we finished off some dairy steers, and they ate fine. They are not as financially rewarding as beef bred cows, but they be made to sure taste good, You just have lot more waste.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Corn is no good anyway.

The best flavor comes from barley.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think a lot of the difference in grass/feed preference is where your cattle are grazing. I see a lot of those here from out west like the grass fed better. Our grass, here in Arkansas is mostly bermuda for pasture and hay. Back when I was talking about our good beef we were feeding Sirica Lespedesa. Back then some type of Lespedesa was the common hay. We can't grow Alfalfa here without hauling in a lot of lime. I am talking too much to make economic sense. Some places can grow it, but not in large enough areas to where it is cheap enough for cows. I know a lot of Western Ranchers got burned buying hay here, a few years ago when the drought was real bad. I could tell by seeing was was being baled in the fields. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by Virginian2
I have a friend that says his family prefers grain fed holstein. (The fact that the beef breeds tend to bring more on the market could have something to do with this...)

You're joking, right??

They don't compare to good beef. We raised quite a variety but I really liked the Simmentals we butchered. Second choice is hereford.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

76 members (6MMWASP, 338Rules, 7mm_Loco, 10gaugemag, 300_savage, 35, 12 invisible), 1,454 guests, and 781 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,082
Posts18,501,656
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.