Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Is it worth the price to step up to the EL vs the SLC? Looking at an 8x model in both. Mostly going to be used as hunting glasses, I haven't done an optics-intensive (read: glassing) hunt yet, but I don't discount the possibility in the future.

Brandon Gleason
GB1

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
I have owned several of both of these optics and I have a pair of 8x32 EL's in My pack with no plans to change bino's anytime soon...... The SLC's are also excellent if cost is a factor so you cant go wrong either way.....Good luck.......Hb

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I was told that the glass is the same by a Swaro rep in the Swarovski booth at SCI? I certainly can't tell the difference but I an old blind guy.

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
Are you talking about the current models? if so there is a difference in glass, the EL's may not be better glass wise for most folks, but when comparing ergo's I much prefer the open bridge of the EL's. I have the EL SV 8.5x42 and to my eyes they offer the best view I've seen from any bino.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Brandon, fwiw, the 8.5x42 EL has been an excellent all-around glass for me.

As said, you can't go wrong with either but it would be wise to compare them to one another for yourself as much as possible.

Defend the Constitution
IC B2

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
When I upgraded my bino's in 2016 I tried both the SLC and EL's, to me (old guy) the glass were to close to tell any difference.

I had the $$$ for either but the SLC's ergonomics fit me better.

Ted
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
The difference supposedly between the EL's and the SLC's are the open bridge design of the EL's and the field flattening lens of the EL's which is what causes the rolling ball effect in some people. I've read that the SLC's are actually brighter because they don't have that extra lens.

E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
Can’t speak to the newer versions, but I can relay my experience with older 10x42SLCs and non swarovision 8.5x42 ELs. The ELs are brighter and easier to pick out details at long range than the higher power SLCs. On the other hand, colors seem to pop more with the SLC. I’m extremely colorblind so I find the color popping ability helpful when picking apart a distant ridge for well camouflaged game.

As a side note, if you’re looking at the older version of ELs, I’d consider the Tract 8x42s. There wasn’t any appreciable difference with my non-swarovision ELs at a fraction of the cost of used Swaros.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
[Linked Image]

My favorite Bino's are SLC's

7x30, 10x42 and 15x56

The 10x and 15x are both 2016's but the old 7x30's are from 2000 and still a great binocular!

Attached Images
slc.JPG (89.43 KB, 17 downloads)

Ted
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
For 8x Swaro's, I've stuck with the newer SLC's. I've bought, sold and traded the 8.5x42SV, and the 8x32SV. All are good binos, and excellent glass. The extra money and size of the 8.5 didn't impress me. Sure the edges are shaper due to the field flattener, but the SLC just seem a little more relaxed to my eye. The 8x32 size is very tempting, but nothing to move me back to the SV from the SLC.

SLC's get my vote, however, find a good retailer, try them out and see what you like. Lots of money to buy without spending a little bit of time trying them out.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by elkaddict
Can’t speak to the newer versions, but I can relay my experience with older 10x42SLCs and non swarovision 8.5x42 ELs. The ELs are brighter and easier to pick out details at long range than the higher power SLCs. On the other hand, colors seem to pop more with the SLC. I’m extremely colorblind so I find the color popping ability helpful when picking apart a distant ridge for well camouflaged game.

As a side note, if you’re looking at the older version of ELs, I’d consider the Tract 8x42s. There wasn’t any appreciable difference with my non-swarovision ELs at a fraction of the cost of used Swaros.

I have experience with several EL's both the original and the Swarovision. Both in 8x32 and 8.5x42,
and I find they are both great choices.

The Tract Toric is good, but it is not a Swarovski.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I like the SLC but the eye relief is better with the el sv

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Thanks for the responses, guys. I did get my hands on multiple pairs at SCI this year. The EL 32's REALLY felt good in my hands, and were great for eye relief with my glasses. Both honestly looked awesome looking across the show floor to my eyes. I don't really have anywhere local to get them both outside to look through them side by each. I'm leaning towards the EL's. Any thoughts on 8x vs 10x?

Brandon Gleason
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by BrandonGleason
Any thoughts on 8x vs 10x?

Just my opinion and where and what I hunt, but I would choose 10x 10 times out of 10.

I have the 10x42 EL's and 15x56 SLC's that I use on a tripod and would not change a thing.

My only use for 8x is when I go to an outdoor sporting event.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Thanks for the responses, guys. I did get my hands on multiple pairs at SCI this year. The EL 32's REALLY felt good in my hands, and were great for eye relief with my glasses. Both honestly looked awesome looking across the show floor to my eyes. I don't really have anywhere local to get them both outside to look through them side by each. I'm leaning towards the EL's. Any thoughts on 8x vs 10x?

10X are the most common, but when you talk to the most experienced hunters, you will find a majority will use 8X.

Originally Posted by RJY66

I was thinking the other day how much I used to hate Bill Clinton. He was freaking George Washington compared to what they are now.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by HitnRun

10X are the most common, but when you talk to the most experienced hunters, you will find a majority will use 8X.

That is your opinion grin not necessarily a fact

E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
I’d go with 8 because out west where hours are spent glassing, a spotting scope is only a couple feet away. They’re less tiring for me when glassing for hours, perhaps because it’s easier to hold them steady. For the eastern and southern hunting, they just make more sense IMO.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

If you want to save $2000+ you might consider the Meopta Meostar HD 8X42. Just my $.02

Randall

L
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
I own the SLC 8x42 HDs......same glass as the current model SLCs. Have owned some other nice glass in the past(Minox APO HG 8x42). The SLCs are better. I wear eye glasses and find my Swaro SLCs eye relief is about perfect. I am a big fan of Meopta glass and consider the Meostar HD series to be excellent too but, to my eyes, they are still not quite there optically when put side by side with the SLCs.

I have always enjoyed looking and comparing different glass in the past, but since I purchased my SLCs last year I've pretty much satisfied that itch.

If you're patient you can find a deal(new or "like new") on the current SLCs for as little as $1,200-$1,300....I did.

IMO, I just can't imagine paying more for the higher priced ELs at this point.....to me the SLCs are that good!

Leftybolt

Last edited by leftybolt; 02/25/18.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

583 members (1Longbow, 1234, 007FJ, 160user, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 59 invisible), 2,428 guests, and 1,232 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,423
Posts18,470,700
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.