Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

The very best steaks I can remember ever eating were given to us years ago by a elderly couple, long time members at church. They fenced in a rather small area behind their home and raised a few beef up just for their own use. Don't know what breed they were, all I can remember is they were all solid black or a really deep deep brown in color and were feed a special diet of what ever the family had researched to make the highest quality beef. They never left the relatively small enclosure until the day they were took off to be slaughtered and butchered. Every bite was melt in your mouth tender and delicious.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Sam, your post didn't show earlier when I saw miles post. Cute calf. We will be headed to the country before long and hope to have a few cows. We definitely want a Highland or two. We just want to raise our own beef not sale. Any particular breed do better than others as far as being docile?

Molɔ̀ːn Labé
Grandpa:the road to hell is paved with good intentions.
Dad:son you have 2 choices for supper eat or don't eat.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Texczech
Please forgive my ignorance, but what is a black or red baldy?

Red Baldy- John McCain

Black Baldy- Barrack Obama

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Texczech
Sam, your post didn't show earlier when I saw miles post. Cute calf. We will be headed to the country before long and hope to have a few cows. We definitely want a Highland or two. We just want to raise our own beef not sale. Any particular breed do better than others as far as being docile?
Check out plain, old Shorthorns. Problem with the docile ones is they make good pets. Hard to slaughter a pet for food. Of course, some of my ancestors ate dog so...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That gene for whiteface must be pretty dominate,
When registering the pure breds, there is a definition of where and how much white could, and must be on an animal. At least there used to be on polled Herefords. Another tidbit is that if a purebred horned Hereford dropped a muley calf, it could be registered as a Polled Hereford. Seems the lack of horns is dominate and the muley will have calves without horns if bred to another polled animal. At least that was the rules back in the 1960's. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Those Scottish Highlanders are so gentle you can ride them. They make nice pets.....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I've mostly worked with other peoples' cattle, so maybe am less biased- Hereford, Angus, Charolais,
Simmental, Limousin, Galloway, Chianina (sp), Gelbveih (sp), and some various crosses and mixtures
of many of both taurus and indicus blood lines. All can be tasty, all can be a pain, all can be interesting.
Also have worked with Holstein, Jersey, Brown Swiss, Shorthorn dairy breeds.
"Best" can depend on conditions- I prefer breeds more adapted to life as beef, rather than life as
dual-purpose. But I once heard the best test is to watch different cows' reactions to walking up to
a good, tight 4-strand fence-
Angus crawls through it, and teaches her calves to do the same. Anything Brahma-related jumps
over it, and doesn't stop running for several miles. Charolais walks through it, without noticing.
Hereford takes one look, and has a uterine prolapse.
Handling, I found that Herefords were always my favorite. Horseback, afoot, whatever. Galloways were
the easiest to calve, that I've seen. Angus were next, Simmental worst. The very worst thing I ever tried
to handle were bison. You can't tell what they'll do, and neither can they.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Huntsman, do you have to bareback em or can you throw a saddle on😀.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé
Grandpa:the road to hell is paved with good intentions.
Dad:son you have 2 choices for supper eat or don't eat.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
You can debate all you want but the best eaten' breed is Highland. Lots of other issues with them but the best meat is Highland...end of discussion!!

“My horn is full and my pouch is stocked with ball and patch. There is a new, sharp flint in my lock and my rifle and I are ready. It is sighted true and my eyes can still aim.”
Kaywoodie
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Geno, I was just being a wise guy. You are indeed correct on the Hereford, white face with a red hide.

You don't see too many of them around anymore. Still a few registered herds around here but somewhat rare.

My parents and I run all commercial black angus cows. They aren't all 100% black angus but close enough....

I'd say the average cow in our herd is around 1300-1400lbs.

We sold a 4 year old(?) canner bull 3 weeks ago and I believe he was 2200lbs.

Thanks Sammo,

Me too, wise acre as the old man used to say. We REALLY need a sarcasm font.

We had a registered herd of Herefords up where I used to live in WA, really nice looking animals and from the looks of the operation very well cared for.

Also, from what the cattle folks up there told me, we had a well respected Wagyu breeder in the area. I met him a few times, one of the nicest guys I've run across.

Loads of cattle around here, mostly black ones with a surprising number of Corriente types. I hear they do pretty good on our range.

You folks just kee[ growing that good stuff, so I can have a nice burger now and again.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Oh, Sam and you other cattle folks

I'm such a "wise guy" as Sam calls it, when I first opened this thread I was thinking of posting:

The Best beef breed is a

Lamb!!
eek eek

Just to see who's dander I could raise.

But I was nice instead,

Honestly, my favorite meat is what's on my plate, especially if you bought it.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thanks to all you beefers for providing the wonderful porterhouse I’m going to devour this weekend.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
Originally Posted by norm99
A taste test done in AU called paddock to plate judged by a panel of chefs found...DEXTER... was the most tender and most flavorsome of all the standard and fringe breeds. \Wagyu fat is a completely different gene to common european breeds, as it dissolves, so you are left with just the muscle. George has it!
I wouldn't mind raising some Dexters.

Pards raised dexters in the past, cool little critters, downfall is steaks, speacilly rib steaks are perty small. He went back to regular angus after a couple years

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by shaman
Originally Posted by bowfisher
[
Our neighbor has some of those, pretty cool. He said they are slow gainers though...we have a baldie heifer , grass fed, in the freezer. Very good!

Slow gainer? Yeah, that's what I've heard too. They are fairly docile, and they don't get pissy when you walk around their calves. They also will do work pulling carts and such. That's how I first saw them -- at a Highland Games. I was thinking of starting a few on the 5 acres directly behind the house and seeing how things go.

They are hardy. You don't have to give them shelter over the winter.
They can stomp a coyote. That's a plus around here.
They eat red cedar down to a stump. That's a huge plus.
They can be taught to stay inside a fence.

Don't get me wrong, I think they are cool! I may get some myself soon. I just find it ironic that they are slow gainers, all the Scottish wimmins could make a single calorie go a LOOONNNGG way, lol. Dam efficient! They could store fat just by looking at food. wink

Cowardice is the greatest pandemic that has ever affected mankind.
Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

62 members (10Glocks, 907brass, Algotguns, Akhutr, beefan, 10 invisible), 1,405 guests, and 799 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,243
Posts18,485,927
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.