Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
pahick Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
You guys that own Classic Selects, how did you go about getting nice stocks? Wait for the right one to come along? Ask store to pick from their stock???

Im looking to get one next month, finally. Im not too fond of the lighter wood on some of them. Hate to buy one off GB and it be almost blonde ya know?

HR IC

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Sort through what you can find on the rack. Any dealers I've approached regarding stock figure,aren't much help. Kimber doesn't build Selects all year long. According to one dealer anyway. So,what you can find on the shelf is pretty much what you have. Here in PA we have eurooptic, Elk Co ammo and arms,of course Grice gun shop. Good luck getting Grice to open more than one box. They always mysteriously only have one....bull chit. I've driven to Montoursville and bought a couple rifles from eurooptic. Good people for sure. Elk County ammo and arms has a few Selects in stock too.

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
A couple pics. I like the "Wood lottery winner" stocks,but this straight grained sweetie is stable.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I bought my 300 WSM used as a consignment rifle and the price was so good I didn't really care about the wood. The guy that owned it said it didn't shoot 150 grain bullets very well. I think he has a heck of a flinch or never actually shot the rifle, because it shoots great. While the wood isn't beautiful, it doesn't look bad and it sure beats my old Montana's synthetic stock.

Harry
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Another Classic. Not Select,but definitely not blonde either. I hope to someday run across one of the gorgeous ones that's for sure. But,until then Ill have to enjoy these. Life is short.
[Linked Image]

IC B2

N
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
N
Too much sap wood in the Kimbers to buy sight unseen.

“Factio democratica delenda est"
pahick Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Otter6
Sort through what you can find on the rack. Any dealers I've approached regarding stock figure,aren't much help. Kimber doesn't build Selects all year long. According to one dealer anyway. So,what you can find on the shelf is pretty much what you have. Here in PA we have eurooptic, Elk Co ammo and arms,of course Grice gun shop. Good luck getting Grice to open more than one box. They always mysteriously only have one....bull chit. I've driven to Montoursville and bought a couple rifles from eurooptic. Good people for sure. Elk County ammo and arms has a few Selects in stock too.

Thanks Otter. I go to Grice once a year, but we used to buy a lot of flintlocks from em, im not too fond of em. Passed Elk Co A&A when I lived up there, but never stopped in. Ill give em a call, I seen they had a few on GB. I dont have to have it tomorrow, ill wait a bit for somethin decent. But not too long laugh Thanks again.

Thanks guys.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I used to have this one, beautiful examples out there if you can wait on one.
[Linked Image]

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Bt that is one beautiful stock on that Kimber. I have 2 classic selects and that one blows the stocks on mine away.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
If your buying a 'Classic select', be prepared for light wood, that is the nature of the 'French' walnut they are stocked with. If you want darker wood buy the standard grade 'Classic' they are stocked with darker Claro Walnut.

IC B3

B
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
B
I looked for months before I found the Classic Select .280AI that I bought. The pictures looked great, but I was also concerned about the barrel being centered in the forearm. The seller, on Gunbroker, assured me it was well centered, and it is.

I had an earlier Classic in .270 WSM. The wood was dark, but it was really soft. It got "dented" from a plastic attachment point on a pack. Kind of turned me off on the Claro stocks.

Mike
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I've looked over many new ones and the majority of them had warped forends to the point I don't think I could buy one without being able to look it over first. That said, I have a Classic and a Classic Select both bought used at a local shop and both have barrels centered in the channel.

pahick Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I called around and 2 of the places listed here said they have no problem with me picking through their stock. BUT, I did find another place that has a 308 and a 257 Roberts with AAA French Walnut. I really am looking for a 243, but if the AAA Walnut has more figure than the standard French Walnut ill drive the extra hour or so to go see them in person.

What do y'all think? Is the AAA French Walnut usually that much better than the A French Walnut? For what its worth, all the guns I called about are within $100, whether it was AAA or A French Walnut or not. Thanks!

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I would drive the extra hour to take a look.

Do you want the Kimber or do you want the .243? That is the question that you need to answer.

If you want the .243, go look thru the inventory of the places closer to you.

I would probably have to go to all 3 places and then take my pick.

Dave

pahick Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Definitely want a Kimber. Love a 243. But im not filling my safe with Kimbers, im not rich. So I want ONE that looks as good as I can afford. To be honest though, I really dont want a 308. But if the woods that much better, AAA vs A, then ill consider. AN hour further down the road doesnt bother me. Im already driving 2 1/2 to 3 hours for the closest place.

The closest place to me that has any 84Ms in stock is Kinseys, and no wood, just a Hunter, Adirondack, Mountain Ascent and Open Country.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
AAA French 308. [Linked Image]

Last edited by sqweeler; 02/23/18.
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by pahick
I called around and 2 of the places listed here said they have no problem with me picking through their stock. BUT, I did find another place that has a 308 and a 257 Roberts with AAA French Walnut. I really am looking for a 243, but if the AAA Walnut has more figure than the standard French Walnut ill drive the extra hour or so to go see them in person.

What do y'all think? Is the AAA French Walnut usually that much better than the A French Walnut? For what its worth, all the guns I called about are within $100, whether it was AAA or A French Walnut or not. Thanks!

I drive from here. South of Brookville. To Montoursville to eurooptic occasionally. Nuttin better than a gun buy road trip.

Last edited by Otter6; 02/23/18.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by pahick
Definitely want a Kimber. Love a 243. But im not filling my safe with Kimbers, im not rich. So I want ONE that looks as good as I can afford. To be honest though, I really dont want a 308. But if the woods that much better, AAA vs A, then ill consider. AN hour further down the road doesnt bother me. Im already driving 2 1/2 to 3 hours for the closest place.

The closest place to me that has any 84Ms in stock is Kinseys, and no wood, just a Hunter, Adirondack, Mountain Ascent and Open Country.

Kimber may call their French walnut Classic Selects 'AAA'. But the wood they are calling 'AAA' some of it isn't even 'A' grade.

bt8897's pictured gun on the first page is the only gun pictured in this thread that I would classify as 'AAA' a really nice well laid out stock according to the one side of it that is pictured, I want to see the other side. Anyway the thing about Kimbers Classic Select 'French Walnut', is they vary from fence post plain to 'AAA'. Luck of the draw, I would never buy without seeing it first hand or at least see some pictures first.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Most of Kimbers stock of good wood has been depleted for some time now. I’ve seen a couple which were just okay, but most current production rifles look like light colored 2x4s.

pahick Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Rainy day roadtrip....the guys at Eurooptic seemed really nice and helpful. Heading north to check out their inventory. Hope im not disappointed.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

577 members (1beaver_shooter, 1234, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 160user, 47 invisible), 2,388 guests, and 1,254 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,100
Posts18,502,101
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.