T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

GB1

Z
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Z
My requirements are that a man can fire a gun, have a bon fire, p*ss outside and have a dog in the yard without somebody calling the friggin law. Being near or in the mountains and having decent local politics ( we're Libertarian mostly) are icing on the cake...

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I was born in Denver and lived in Lakewood for 54 years. I would not move back to the liberal infested front range (anywhere from Ft. Collins south to Pueblo) for anything.

To answer your questions: Real Estate and Land prices are high in the populated areas and higher in the desirable mountain areas. Eastern Colorado in the small towns real estate used to be cheaper. Maybe still is. Parts of western Colorado that are not ski areas or tourist meccas are more reasonable. North of Denver along the front range it is difficult to find a couple of acres with a nice house for less than $400,000.00. The front range is crowded from Ft. Collins to South of Denver and in the Colorado Springs area. Traffic is bad in the front range. Not so bad out east or over west.

If you have to live there make it the western slope where there are still a few conservatives left. Grand Junction might be worth a look.

In no particular order I would move to Utah, Wyoming, Idaho, or North Dakota before even considering western Colorado.

Given what you said in your last post you better move to Wyoming.

Last edited by stantdm; 02/21/18.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

but I'm retired............

I can sell you a million dollar view for half mil...........

[Linked Image]

grin

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

[Linked Image]

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

IC B2

Z
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Z
Tikkanut you're killing me....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I used to live in colorado, I wouldn't move back now that I live in the black hills.

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Lived in Colorado also, and as mentioned it is two states. they split where the mountains are west of Denver. Had to leave do to the liberal politics even on the Western Slope. While you can do the things you have mentioned they have qualifiers,

Most shooting is restricted to shooting ranges, (but they do have some good ones,,, used to Steel Challenge etc. in Montrose, Rifle and Pistol at Orchard Mesa.)

Outside pissing is restricted to moonless nights.

and the dog must be licensed with shots, and a chain if yard not fenced

Take Wyoming any day. (lived there also)

Most people don't have what it takes to get old
Z
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Z
Tell me more about the liberal politics if you would. We're getting hammered with them here in the form of county and city ordinances making it hard on country people to be country people.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
That would involve an in depth of the Udall ,Gannett families, City Market before Kroger, Lays potato chips, Rocky Mountain HMO, and mex labor. of which I am trying to forget

Most people don't have what it takes to get old
IC B3

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
I've never lived in Colorado, but I've roamed it quite a bit. The Rocky Mountain areas are nice, but one of my favorite things to do is go down to the four corners area around Grand Junction and just hang out. The towns of Grand Junction and Fruita have pretty much merged into one metropolitan area,..and it's just a town like many others. But the area around them is some serious wide open space.

Colorado National Monument is there and it's great. It's a big mesa with a road to the top with crazy outstanding views. I went back there a couple of years ago and it was the same as it's ever been. There was hardly anybody up there. It was like I owned the place. We walked some trails and looked around a bit and didn't bump into anybody except for a herd of desert bighorn sheep that came down a hill to check us out.

I've roamed this country up, down, back and forth,..and southwestern Colorado is one of the few places that I think would please me as well as the bluegrass region of Kentucky does.

As for the Denver area,...there's not enough money in the world to make me live there.

Rocky Mountain National Park is right down the road from Denver and it's one of my favorite places on earth to visit. But it's not enough to make me move to the Denver area.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Tikkanut, those are some beautiful pictures, i have hundreds just like them. Here is the "Paul Harvey" version of what you have to do and put up with to get there. I can take hundreds more just like it.
Yes, there are still many good things about CO. But as a long time resident, I can relate ad nauseum the changes I wish had not and are not taking place. I have not grown to appreciate change as something to always celebrate.

Truth is whoever moves here now has no frame of reference about how it was so "now" is their norm. I call this the "new norm" and it applies to everything, especially kids.

Chip

Attached Images
20160701_153427.jpg (22.85 KB, 39 downloads)
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
the main problem would be how to find income, but the area up on the arizona utah border called the strip country is pretty special. you can go for miles without seeing any body. I am thinking of kanab utah, and east/west over to mesquite nevada. St george utah.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Colorado springs is predicted to out populate Denver in the near future. Everyone that moves here comes form some crowded infestation and then promptly wants to pass laws or regulations to have what they had where they left from. Where I live was 25 miles from Colorado Springs. Now I have 3 Walmarts within 12 miles of me. Just south, 6-7 miles, they are putting in another 5000 houses added to the 3000 they put in within the last three years.They fill those house up as fast as they can build them. They all have some form of Homeowners Assoc to tell you what you can and can't do.

These folks move from some where that they had a 60 x 50 lot or lived in a town home and think they found paradise because they now have a 1/4acre lot.These same folks are the rudest you can imagine.You won't getaway from being hammered with liberal politics if you are looking at Colorado, unless you maybe settle on the western slope.

We are besieged with illegal grow houses for marijuana.Now instead of looking out for drunk drivers and those texting ,we have to worry about pot heads being high driving down the road.

Those liberals up in Boulder and Denver are gradually taking over Colorado Springs.The state government is controlled by Denverites because they have the population to get things/people voted into push those liberal ideologies. The replies in this thread have talked about low taxes.As the population grows,so will those. Every time some one has an idea these liberals figure out another penny sales tax to pay for it and then vote it in.Then what the tax was suppose to be used for is spent on other things

Forget about a quiet weekend or week in the mountains. Any accessible place is filled with people blaring music or loud goings on.Crowded so much you have to take your own parking space.Any big lakes look more like the Jersey shore.

If I were not so old.I would move out of here and if I was young, I sure would not considered moving here

Last edited by saddlesore; 02/21/18.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Z
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Z
Saddlesore, these are pretty much the same problems we're having in Florida now..... Too many people from elsewhere staying here after vacation. Looks like we better start researching Alaska....

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
AMEN Saddlesore!
And the County allows those houses to get built and then worries about widening the darn road (Woodman, Marksheffel, Hwy 24, and Powers etc). Thats backwards, developers should widen the roads before one building is built. And don't forget the bumms begging on every corner now because of pot.

Time for me to go reload and relax.

Z
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Z
Weed brought bums?? I could only imagine recreational marijuana strengthening the economy all the way around.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
In the movie 'Centennial', one of the best lines is, "If you want to see the unspoiled beauty of Colorado, you gotta go to Wyoming"...... True in '76, and even more true now.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
My two cents...... the front range from Frederick on south to Pueblo is not to my liking. Too many folks and most of those folks have strange ideas. From Loveland north to the Wyoming border is great if you find a place with some acreage in the foothills. Mostly independent folks in the foothills. Being close to Wyoming is good. I’d rather fish in Wyoming than Colorado.

There are some attractive places east of Colorado Springs.... higher elevation land....from the Black Forest area up,to just east of Parker. Land there is relatively inexpensive when compared to land closer to I 25.

Also, most anything on the western slope is better than the eastern slope. Montrose comes to mind.

Were it not for family considerations, I think I’d be in the Laramie/Saratoga area in Wyoming.

Last edited by TF49; 02/21/18. Reason: Typo

The tax collector said: “Lord Jesus, have mercy on me, a sinner.” Jesus said he went home “justified.”

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

696 members (007FJ, 160user, 10gaugemag, 16gage, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 66 invisible), 3,000 guests, and 1,341 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,846
Posts18,478,321
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.