Print Thread
Hop To
J
JJWise Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Evening y’all, I’m JJ. From WV but currently stationed in eastern N.C. for the Marines. I hunt deer, waterfowl and just about anything else I can. My brother and I are looking to go on our first western hunt next year, planning on hunting mule deer in Idaho or Wyoming. Neither of us are concerned with huge bucks and are looking to do it as cheap as possible, DIY public land hunts camping out and whatnot. Just thought I’d see if anyone on here has any suggestions/tips. Any help on navigating the state websites, good units to look at or anything like that sorting out all the legal sides of it would also be appreciated.

GB1

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Many of Idaho's central, and southern areas had a severe winter kill last year. Numbers are down significantly. Some areas of Wyoming took a pretty good hit too. That might factor into where you consider to hunt. Good luck.

Last edited by atse; 02/20/18.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm in ohio, so have nothing to add to your hunt, but welcome and thank you for your service.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
J
JJWise Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by atse
Many of Idaho's central, and southern areas had a severe winter kill last year. Numbers are down significantly. Some areas of Wyoming took a pretty good hit too. That might factor into where you consider to hunt. Good luck.

Thanks for the info, I’ve been trying to do a lot of research and hadn’t heard that yet. We’re looking at probably going in 2019.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
For Wyoming you need to apply for mule deer by the end of May. As a non resident you'll need to apply even for general tags.

Idaho's draw period ends June 5th (I think) so you still have plenty of time for that. Idaho also has general units that you could just buy a tag for when you show up. Some units (for elk at least, not sure about deer) have caps on the number of general tags sold though, so keep that in mind.

Semper Fi. I was with 1/10 on Camp Lejeune a while back. Got out in 2008.

IC B2

J
JJWise Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by T_Inman
For Wyoming you need to apply for mule deer by the end of May. As a non resident you'll need to apply even for general tags.

Idaho's draw period ends June 5th (I think) so you still have plenty of time for that. Idaho also has general units that you could just buy a tag for when you show up. Some units (for elk at least, not sure about deer) have caps on the number of general tags sold though, so keep that in mind.

Semper Fi. I was with 1/10 on Camp Lejeune a while back. Got out in 2008.

Yeah I’d seen that I have to draw for Wyoming, may apply for a preference point this year since we’re not planning on going until the fall of 2019. If we go to Idaho we’re going to do OTC, that may be the best since my brother will be in college and it could be hard for him to get the right time off and we couldn’t return a tag if we had to draw. I’m stationed on Cherry Point.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by JJWise
Originally Posted by atse

Thanks for the info, I’ve been trying to do a lot of research and hadn’t heard that yet. We’re looking at probably going in 2019.

It will likely be 2 to 3 years, if winters are easy before deer numbers recover much. And this winter has been very easy for most of southern and western Idaho, so at least that is a start.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
GFY!

... and welcome to 24HCF.

What county d'ya hail from?

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
J
JJWise Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by Folically_Challenged
GFY!

... and welcome to 24HCF.

What county d'ya hail from?

FC

Craven Co in N.C. in WV it was Cabell

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Gotcha. My business takes me through Cabell to get to Mingo, Logan, & sometimes Wyoming counties. Pretty country, for sure.

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
IC B3

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Montana might be an option. Long seasons and a bit closer than ID. Might not draw but think you would know before ID deadline.

A computer once beat me at chess. I then won a kickboxing contest with the same computer. So, 1-1 to date.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

121 members (300_savage, 41rem, 808outdoors, 10gaugemag, 15 invisible), 1,835 guests, and 976 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,711
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.