-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
RickyD, agreed! the 8x56 is a specialty scope and I use mine for hunting from a fixed position. for general purpose, do anything, I like the leupold 2.5x8x36 or the 3.5x10x40. these scopes can do it all. I guess that's why the 3x9x40 is the most popular scope configuration sold in the USA.

Still, the 6x42 is a solid choice for someone who does not want a variable. My WSM (a 300) wears a 6x42 S&B and it does fine for most applications.

GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Hey E, when was that book written? Just curious.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
With a $2500 budget - Schmidt & Bender, No doubt!!

3-12X42 Klassic for longer range hunting or a 1.5-6X42 Zenith for hunting shots 300 yds and under.

Both about $1500, give or take a little.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by RickyD
What are you going to hunt, where, what conditions and climates and what factors are personally important: weight, eye relief, vision issues, etc?

Simply based on the fact that it's going on a 325 WSM, I'll guess it's an elk/moose/bear gun. If so you would be hard pressed to beat a 1.5x6x42 Swarovski or one of the new Z6's in 1.7x10x42 when available. S&B and Zeiss have nice scopes in that range as well, though heavier (least the S&B is).

Uh, what this guy said. I personally prefer S & B. grin

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
For the hunting that I do my Burris Signature 1.5-6X 28 with posi-lock is a vault of a scope. Weighs a little more, but you can't knock the sight off.

When Ronald Reagan was president, we had Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.
Now that Barack Obama is president, we have NO hope and NO cash.

IC B2

J
jprice Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
I actually thought of that!

DSC Life Member
SCI Member
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
300MAG,
For the best all around scope.The 1.5-6x42 S&B.I agree.
[Linked Image]
dave smile

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
J
jprice Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
The only factor that could even possibly bring leupold closer would be price, and i specifically elimanted that argument. I think you may be kidding yourself there just a little. To my eyes there is absolutely no comparison between the two. If leupold was all i could afford or all I cared to spend I am sure for the price I would not be disapointed. I am really shocked to be debating the leupold products given the perimeters I have laid out. I will give you guys one thing you are very loyal. I can appreciate that.

DSC Life Member
SCI Member
J
jprice Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Anyone checked out the Kahle kx3.5-10x50. Considerably cheaper than I originally expected to spend. Maybe this would be a better set-up for a .270. Really just interested in Kahles rebound after the multi-zero scope.

DSC Life Member
SCI Member
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jprice
I couldn't agree with you more. I just wanted to put everything on a level playing field. I wanted to get the best scope for my application and didn't want money to factor into what that scope is. I understand that for the money leupold is a good scope, but I am not looking for a good scope. I am looking for a great scope. I also realize that their is small diferences between leupold and say swarovski or zeiss, but it is those small diferences that I am looking for. eye relief,clarity,brightness,low light transmission, weight, durability, and warranty. A small difference in each category will add up to a much more superior scope overall.

No matter how hard you try it seems impossible to avoid a Leupold vs. Zeiss vs. Swarovski debate. Perhaps what you should have stated was "I want to spend no less than $2000 and it has to be made in Europe for religous, spiritual and legal reasons. grin

IC B3

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I also realize that their is small diferences between leupold and say swarovski or zeiss, but it is those small diferences that I am looking for. eye relief,clarity,brightness,low light transmission, weight, durability, and warranty.

Let me start by saying I'm mainly a Leupold user, but I'm not blind to other good scopes either. I own a scope from another maker that is extremely clear and bright, better than my Leupys, but it's also bigger and heavier. Everything's a compromise.

There are reasons why the Leupold 6x42 has a strong following.

Eye relief: It's the king when it comes to ease of use due to the length and flexibility of its eye relief. It may well be the easiest scope to "get behind" that's out there.

Clarity and Brightness: It's not the very best in these categories, but it sure does pretty well anyway. It allows me to see clearly enough to shoot 2.5" groups at 300 yards when it's getting quite dark at the range, and through direct observation I've concluded that I better look at my watch before squeezing off a shot at a deer near dawn or dusk because this basic old scope has plenty of brightness to take me outside of legal shooting hours with ease.

Weight: Leupolds are quite competitive in this category.

Durability: Leupolds have a good reputation here. I have a couple that have spent the better part of twenty years on top of 7mm, 300, and 338 mags with nary a hiccup.

Warranty: Leupold is definitely competitive here.

I'd like to have the jingle to try a Z6 or Zenith, but with what I'm able to get done with my plain old Leupy it's too hard for me not to spend the price difference on a rifle to put under it and a bunch of reloading components to feed the combination. Lack of willpower I guess. grin

mathman

J
jprice Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
I completely understand! I just bought the Z6 for a 300WSM and haven't been able to mount it just yet. It does seem to have alot better eye relief than my swaro AV. I was also disapointed in swaros warranty on the Z6. I own 5 other swaro products and have yet to have a problem. I really don't shoot enough with one rifle to push the gun or the optics to the limits. I wish I had more time. I have been very fortunate to draw very good tags in the past and have learned to buy the best optics I could afford. Thanks for elaborating!

DSC Life Member
SCI Member
L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
This post reads like a magazine article where there is no best. In the last paragraph it says, so depending on what, where, and when you like to hunt to, pick what you think would be best for you. For my 7.82 Warbird I have a NF 3.5-15x56NXS, OK for close range but can be turned up for long shots. For where I hunt this too much scope, but wanted it in case I go out west.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
European 1.5 x 6 x 42mm is my vote.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Kahles 1.5x6x42 would be my vote

[Linked Image]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
ZEISS CONQUEST 3-9x40

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered."
― George Orwell, 1984
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

564 members (1minute, 264magnum, 06hunter59, 222Sako, 160user, 3333vl, 67 invisible), 2,335 guests, and 1,277 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,538
Posts18,491,461
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.