Campfire Outfitter

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by Kimber7man

I see Adam32 is still giving reach arounds there.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I received my factory take off barrel from Ryan. I suspect he's likely had enough from campfire members.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
C
C
Being a new member to the forum I would share the feelings of most of the previous posts here to NOT DO BUSINESS WITH RYAN KELSEY. I have my own story but feel lucky compared to some. Not sure if this is the place to share it or a PM when I look at forum rules.

IC B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by ChucknBob
Being a new member to the forum I would share the feelings of most of the previous posts here to NOT DO BUSINESS WITH RYAN KELSEY. I have my own story but feel lucky compared to some. Not sure if this is the place to share it or a PM when I look at forum rules.

No reason not to share it here.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

FJB
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Share away...

A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by Craigster

No reason not to share it here.

Just state the facts - that is what the rules are trying to guide the forum with.

C
C
Long story.....Summer of 2017 I knew I had several points to apply for a deer tag in Wyoming. I really wanted to hold onto them but due to the winter kill the previous winter I probably should apply for a hunt. I had told a cousin that I was interested in having a rifle built for my hunt as I had given my 270 wsm to my stepson a couple years earlier. I wanted another but couldn't find one. I wanted a Ruger M77. He told me to have "our cousin Ryan Kelsey" build me one as he had done the same and liked it. I really didn't know about Ryan. Not sure if I even ever met him. (1st cousin twice removed..blah blah). My father was Ryan's great grandfathers brother, and that part of the family held a lot of value in their word and integrity.

Interested in the suggestion, I contacted Ryan. Over a few phone calls and texts we discussed hunting, rifles, Wyoming game areas etc. He was very cordial. I told him I wasn't interested in a "long range gun", just a 270 wsm in a Ruger action. He would send me his trophy pictures and suggested I apply in an area he hunted every year. I would ask him questions about that and also about his different rifle combination recommendations. During that time I also had talked to some biologist from the Wyoming game and fish about the areas Ryan suggested. I chose not to apply where Ryan suggested as I found out it only took 1 point to draw his area and didn't want to waste all my points when I could apply for Region G. After some conversations over a couple of weeks Ryan became very antagonistic with his responses. I felt pressured that he wanted to use a Remington Action. I didn't know half of his terminology of add ons he suggested, cerakote for example. I just wanted a Ruger 270 wsm, M77, simple. He seemed offended I questioned his suggestions of a hunting area by talking to the game biologist, and also defensive about my questions about rifles. He boasted "I know what I'm doing, I've built over 10,000 custom rifles" (almost 4 custom builds a day for 10 years, I don't think so). I didn't like his tone and decided to not contact him about it anymore. He sounded immature and spoiled.

A couple of weeks later I received a call from Ryan. He was nice once again and said he had an offer for me. He told me he wanted to buy a boat in my home town and offered to build a rifle for me if I transported the boat to him. Clearing things up, he told me it would cost him time and money from his shop to take off work a couple of days to get the boat himself. Wanting to be fair, I didn't want him to get the short end of the deal so I asked him what the difference would be. He said not to worry about it and may have most of the parts in stock anyway. I saw it as an opportunity to meet him in person being family. Agreeing, I told him to not worry about the make of the action, color, stock, etc. etc.. I just wanted a 270 wsm and do the rest to his convenience. Like I said I didn't want to be picky when all I was doing was shipping a boat. He told be he could probably have it done in a couple of weeks after I delivered the boat.

Soon after I picked up the jet boat and along with my older brother delivered it to Ryan, meeting him in Green River, Wyoming. He showed me one of his rifles. I thought it odd that this "custom rifle" was just loose on the front seat, all beat up, like he was road hunting for Jack Rabbits. After I unhooked the trailer, he told me he didn't have a ball or receiver hitch (stinger) and if he could use mine. He said he would send it back to me when he got home.

A "couple of weeks came and went". Hunting season was approaching. When I would reach out to Ryan his text would always read.."what's up? I'm at work". He told me he had taken a job in a mine a couple hours away from his "shop" and he would try to get to the gun on the weekends. Wyoming hunting season came and went. (I did draw Region G and packed my .338 all week with no success). The rifle also didn't show up before my Idaho hunt. I didn't bug him during the holidays but soon after the first of the year started trying to get ahold of him.

I was told he had all the parts but just needed to finish the rifle. I asked him about my hitch but was told he hadn't had a chance to get to town to mail it. Similar conversations occurred all summer. I told him I'd like to use the rifle he was going to build for the 2018 season. During this summer I was led to this forum by searching to find his website and found out all about the different interactions members had with Ryan, I really wish I would have seen it all before my dealings with my "cousin".

I would mention to Ryan that I'd really like to have a 270 wsm again to hunt deer with. His response..."go buy one, I told you I've been working 16 hour days and haven't been able to get to the post office." On a couple occasions I would tell him I needed a stinger for my trailer. Again, "go buy one,..they are $30 dollars at Wal Mart!". I was getting infuriated but wanted to stay positive and polite given the fact he was family. In late summer I told him that I knew he was busy and to lets just call the deal off. He could compensate me for gas and time off work and mail me the stinger. Again he told me how much a stinger cost at walmart. (quite different attitude than when he needed one). I told him to just send me $250 and we'd call it good. (the drive was 500 miles round trip for me). Now he told me he'd send the money when he got to the post office.

Again weeks went by. Excuses like he didn't get enough in his paycheck (but he was working 16 hour days, 7 days a week). How "some people don't have a lot of money!!" but he was sending me pictures of his hunt. I told him he had enough money to hunt and buy a boat. Heck, I was even going to pay him to build a gun the year before. Now he was texting me how I was bugging him and getting on his nerves, etc. etc.. I can afford a stinger, it was the principal of the matter. I had gone through all this with a relative instead of finding a used M77 somewhere online. I asked him one more time after 3 weeks of waiting after "he got paid" and he told me to pound sand and not bother him anymore. I know it is a civil matter but let the Laramie police and sheriff know anyway. I have also reported to the Attorney General's Office.

Thank you for listening to my story. I am saddened by this young mans lack of character and arrogant attitude. It really does no good to post here to keep others from dealing with Ryan in the future, as I doubt those individuals will see this site anyway. I feel lucky to only lose out on a few dollars and my time. My main reason for reaching out on this forum is to support others that have gone through this same ordeal. I have read post from others sticking up for Ryan and how he is trying to make things right. Bull.....

When I told Ryan I found out all about his dealings; he texted (in capital letters) how he has "made everything right with others". I guess relatives don't count.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Your cousin is a flake.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

FJB
IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Long story.....Summer of 2017 I knew I had several points to apply for a deer tag in Wyoming. I really wanted to hold onto them but due to the winter kill the previous winter I probably should apply for a hunt. I had told a cousin that I was interested in having a rifle built for my hunt as I had given my 270 wsm to my stepson a couple years earlier. I wanted another but couldn't find one. I wanted a Ruger M77. He told me to have "our cousin Ryan Kelsey" build me one as he had done the same and liked it. I really didn't know about Ryan. Not sure if I even ever met him. (1st cousin twice removed..blah blah). My father was Ryan's great grandfathers brother, and that part of the family held a lot of value in their word and integrity.

Interested in the suggestion, I contacted Ryan. Over a few phone calls and texts we discussed hunting, rifles, Wyoming game areas etc. He was very cordial. I told him I wasn't interested in a "long range gun", just a 270 wsm in a Ruger action. He would send me his trophy pictures and suggested I apply in an area he hunted every year. I would ask him questions about that and also about his different rifle combination recommendations. During that time I also had talked to some biologist from the Wyoming game and fish about the areas Ryan suggested. I chose not to apply where Ryan suggested as I found out it only took 1 point to draw his area and didn't want to waste all my points when I could apply for Region G. After some conversations over a couple of weeks Ryan became very antagonistic with his responses. I felt pressured that he wanted to use a Remington Action. I didn't know half of his terminology of add ons he suggested, cerakote for example. I just wanted a Ruger 270 wsm, M77, simple. He seemed offended I questioned his suggestions of a hunting area by talking to the game biologist, and also defensive about my questions about rifles. He boasted "I know what I'm doing, I've built over 10,000 custom rifles" (almost 4 custom builds a day for 10 years, I don't think so). I didn't like his tone and decided to not contact him about it anymore. He sounded immature and spoiled.

A couple of weeks later I received a call from Ryan. He was nice once again and said he had an offer for me. He told me he wanted to buy a boat in my home town and offered to build a rifle for me if I transported the boat to him. Clearing things up, he told me it would cost him time and money from his shop to take off work a couple of days to get the boat himself. Wanting to be fair, I didn't want him to get the short end of the deal so I asked him what the difference would be. He said not to worry about it and may have most of the parts in stock anyway. I saw it as an opportunity to meet him in person being family. Agreeing, I told him to not worry about the make of the action, color, stock, etc. etc.. I just wanted a 270 wsm and do the rest to his convenience. Like I said I didn't want to be picky when all I was doing was shipping a boat. He told be he could probably have it done in a couple of weeks after I delivered the boat.

Soon after I picked up the jet boat and along with my older brother delivered it to Ryan, meeting him in Green River, Wyoming. He showed me one of his rifles. I thought it odd that this "custom rifle" was just loose on the front seat, all beat up, like he was road hunting for Jack Rabbits. After I unhooked the trailer, he told me he didn't have a ball or receiver hitch (stinger) and if he could use mine. He said he would send it back to me when he got home.

A "couple of weeks came and went". Hunting season was approaching. When I would reach out to Ryan his text would always read.."what's up? I'm at work". He told me he had taken a job in a mine a couple hours away from his "shop" and he would try to get to the gun on the weekends. Wyoming hunting season came and went. (I did draw Region G and packed my .338 all week with no success). The rifle also didn't show up before my Idaho hunt. I didn't bug him during the holidays but soon after the first of the year started trying to get ahold of him.

I was told he had all the parts but just needed to finish the rifle. I asked him about my hitch but was told he hadn't had a chance to get to town to mail it. Similar conversations occurred all summer. I told him I'd like to use the rifle he was going to build for the 2018 season. During this summer I was led to this forum by searching to find his website and found out all about the different interactions members had with Ryan, I really wish I would have seen it all before my dealings with my "cousin".

I would mention to Ryan that I'd really like to have a 270 wsm again to hunt deer with. His response..."go buy one, I told you I've been working 16 hour days and haven't been able to get to the post office." On a couple occasions I would tell him I needed a stinger for my trailer. Again, "go buy one,..they are $30 dollars at Wal Mart!". I was getting infuriated but wanted to stay positive and polite given the fact he was family. In late summer I told him that I knew he was busy and to lets just call the deal off. He could compensate me for gas and time off work and mail me the stinger. Again he told me how much a stinger cost at walmart. (quite different attitude than when he needed one). I told him to just send me $250 and we'd call it good. (the drive was 500 miles round trip for me). Now he told me he'd send the money when he got to the post office.

Again weeks went by. Excuses like he didn't get enough in his paycheck (but he was working 16 hour days, 7 days a week). How "some people don't have a lot of money!!" but he was sending me pictures of his hunt. I told him he had enough money to hunt and buy a boat. Heck, I was even going to pay him to build a gun the year before. Now he was texting me how I was bugging him and getting on his nerves, etc. etc.. I can afford a stinger, it was the principal of the matter. I had gone through all this with a relative instead of finding a used M77 somewhere online. I asked him one more time after 3 weeks of waiting after "he got paid" and he told me to pound sand and not bother him anymore. I know it is a civil matter but let the Laramie police and sheriff know anyway. I have also reported to the Attorney General's Office.

Thank you for listening to my story. I am saddened by this young mans lack of character and arrogant attitude. It really does no good to post here to keep others from dealing with Ryan in the future, as I doubt those individuals will see this site anyway. I feel lucky to only lose out on a few dollars and my time. My main reason for reaching out on this forum is to support others that have gone through this same ordeal. I have read post from others sticking up for Ryan and how he is trying to make things right. Bull.....

When I told Ryan I found out all about his dealings; he texted (in capital letters) how he has "made everything right with others". I guess relatives don't count.

Unreal....

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Sad...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm surprised someone ain't kneecapped the corksucker by now...

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Here's your sign, Devil Custom Rifle.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I have known much worse then that , much much worse. Some are in prison , one died in prison and others are walking amongst us

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Damn. Thanks for sharing your story. I'm glad I got my rifle back although the bolt wouldn't close on a live round.

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig
Damn. Thanks for sharing your story. I'm glad I got my rifle back although the bolt wouldn't close on a live round.
Given his track record, that may have saved your life.

Buy once, cry once.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
indeed. I am more wise about things now.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
“I’ve built over 10,000 custom rifles”

Haha what a laugh....

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Tom264
“I’ve built over 10,000 custom rifles”

Haha what a laugh....

That calculates to a rifle a day (every day) for 27 years. The guy's on crack.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

FJB
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

466 members (1lessdog, 160user, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 1lesfox, 41 invisible), 1,858 guests, and 1,178 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,754
Posts18,495,429
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.